Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been a while and my TUWC is working fine, decided it is not worth the effort to install my standard Tesla Wall Connector on a shared power circuit. Therefore, if anyone wants a brand new TWC at a good price in the Portland OR (Beaverton) area, let me know. Cheers and thanks for all the advice .

My universal wall connector is on 23.24.3, like some others that are having problems. But mine works fine with a Hyundai Kona and a Rivian R1S. (They both flash a red light at first, but after a few seconds everything turns green and charging proceeds as expected).

Reactions: cmy4x4
Thanks. I also found this out of shear frustration. However, there still is an issue with timed charging events (since I'm not around to re-plug).

It seems that the Universal Connector does not engage with the car quickly enough and misses the car's signal to start charging. I have read in other threads that the unit first queries with the Tesla protocol, then, if nothing happens, switches to SAE, possibly missing the response from the car in the process. While newer Teslas speak using the SAE standard, the older ones do not.

Tesla advertises that the Universal Wall Connector is "The only home charging option that can charge any electric vehicle". Not true, yet.
The Tesla protocol only comes into play if you set it into Tesla mode during set up. If you set it to charge all vehicles, it's supposed to skip the Tesla protocol and just work like any J1772 charger. Obviously there are still bugs. Note for some people in this thread, the issue was they had a defective adapter (the magic dock adapter head). In those cases, once they got a new unit, it started working.

I have asked them to push an update and they haven't. Been through two units. My issue is not hardware. Out of the box, firmware 23.9.0 worked. Updated to 23.24.3 and charging stopped. I am three months into this saga. Charger still doesn't work, and Tesla refuses to refund. I've wasted countless hours on a $600 paperweight. This is awful.

I have asked them to push an update and they haven't. Been through two units. My issue is not hardware. Out of the box, firmware 23.9.0 worked. Updated to 23.24.3 and charging stopped. Been two months since purchase. Tesla won't refund, charger doesn't work. This is awful.
Chargeback through your card issuer for a defective product and refusal of refund. Send the issuer documentation of your comms with Tesla and let them fight it.

If Tesla needs a stick to get their act together, then that's what they need.

Until a software fix is released, it's less about my personal chargeback and more about caring for customers. I can empathize with software bugs, written my fair share ... but we've given Tesla months to fix, and this thing is still being advertised and sold as a "universal" connector, clearly it is not. People need to know so they can make informed purchases.

And ya know - I just want to charge my EV, not be an unpaid Tesla QA troubleshooter. Though I've heard that is part the, uh, job here as a Tesla customer? I don't mind helping, but c'mon. We've narrowed it down to firmware, we got a repro and fix. Tesla needs to prioritize this, and do the right thing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Jeff-4
Until a software fix is released, it's less about my personal chargeback and more about caring for customers. I can empathize with software bugs, written my fair share ... but we've given Tesla months to fix, and this thing is still being advertised and sold as a "universal" connector, clearly it is not. People need to know so they can make informed purchases.

And ya know - I just want to charge my EV, not be an unpaid Tesla QA troubleshooter. Though I've heard that is part the, uh, job here as a Tesla customer? I don't mind helping, but c'mon. We've narrowed it down to firmware, we got a repro and fix. Tesla needs to prioritize this, and do the right thing.
I agree! The SAE J1772 standard has been implemented by EVERYONE else, why can’t Tesla get it right?

Reactions: Rocky_H
I wonder if there is any commonality between the cars that work and the cars that don’t. My wife’s Bolt has worked on the TUWC since day one. The J1772 standard should be a ‘standard’ across all cars but everyone has their own code I suppose. If the TUWC works on some Rivian’s but not others (given the same firmware) then it could be a manufacturing difference (or difference in the vehicle software). Hard to understand how manufacturing could cause the issue unless they changed component suppliers in the middle of building the TUWC’s.

Throwing my hat into the ring - my 2024 BMW i4 does not charge with the Universal Wall Connector. I am on firmware 23.24.3 which has been the case since I had it installed. The charger is set to charge all vehicles and I have tried setting multiple limits and it refuses to charge. The included charger that came with my car works just fine so it's definitely the wall connector. I tried contacting Tesla support (Tesla makes this very difficult, by the way), but apparently they were closed on Friday, so I am stuck waiting until Monday to try to address this. Hopefully the updated firmware sent to other users above me (HEAD) fixes my issue as 120V charging ain't it.

Got mine installed last week, it would not charge my Nissan Leaf. Contacted Tesla through the chat feature and asked them to manually push the HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679)-3cae3fb firmware. They said it would take up to two hours for the firmware update to go through - everything works perfectly now. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of your help!

Throwing my hat into the ring - my 2024 BMW i4 does not charge with the Universal Wall Connector. I am on firmware 23.24.3 which has been the case since I had it installed. The charger is set to charge all vehicles and I have tried setting multiple limits and it refuses to charge. The included charger that came with my car works just fine so it's definitely the wall connector. I tried contacting Tesla support (Tesla makes this very difficult, by the way), but apparently they were closed on Friday, so I am stuck waiting until Monday to try to address this. Hopefully the updated firmware sent to other users above me (HEAD) fixes my issue as 120V charging ain't it.
Try connecting to bmw…then disconnecting and recommecting. that’s what i do and it works

That HEAD firmware definitely did the trick. No issues charging again over the weekend.

Does anybody here have more than one wall connector in their Tesla app? What does that look like? We’re thinking about upgrading another charger we have here.

That HEAD firmware definitely did the trick. No issues charging again over the weekend.

Does anybody here have more than one wall connector in their Tesla app? What does that look like? We’re thinking about upgrading another charger we have here.
I have two wall connectors (One Universal and one "regular") that are load sharing on a single circuit. The load sharing works well. Just waiting for a firmware update to get the Universal Connector to charge my e-Golf. Tesla support pushed a new version through this morning and I will test it tonight.

Reactions: rstx
Like others in this thread, talking to support and having them manually push the HEAD firmware fixed my issue. I have no idea why Tesla isn't simply pushing this update out to all units, even if only a small number of units are affected (as evident by this thread), especially if the new firmware doesn't cause problems to existing, functional units. It seems inefficient and silly to make affected users contact Tesla and waste man-hours having representatives manually push the update.

Last edited: