Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Used MS P85D owner compares it to his 2017 Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How true and that is why we have a Model 3 rather than the Bolt. The Bolt would fully meet our needs around town but my two last trips to Cleveland OH, and Tuscaloosa Al, showed just how easy it is to travel with SuperChargers. Neither trip is really possible in the Bolt as both go through LARGE areas with no CCS charging. And Level 2 just does not cut it for road traveling.

Bizarre review. Not the apples and oranges part, but that he knew so very little about the Bolt.

Nearly all his bullet points are Supercharging related.
The truth is very few working class folk use a car to replace an airline ticket. The author claims it's a fact, but it's not. Our time has value.
Most people don't use DCFC in the majority of the EVs on the road in the USA. Even many Tesla owners don't use it, or rarely use it. It's a great feature, but it's not 75% of the car.

His take on navigation is just wrong. In a GM, with your eyes on the road at all times, tell the car where to go, and it goes there. Even if you're not sure what it's called or what city it's in. I've been doing it for many, many years. Need to make a phone call? Ditto. Wonder if that restaurant at the pier from 20 years ago is still open? What hours? Let me talk to them so I make a res. Yeah, you can dink with cellphones and help increase the rise in body count, but that's not my style. I don't even bring a cell into a car. Why would I? Pokemon? Watch movies? I sure don't need it for a phone, a navigator, a concierge, or emergency assistance.

If you click a weblink on a device, you can push the directions into your GM from anywhere. Somebody tells you about a museum, look, click, push it. Go out to the parking lot, get in your car, it will take you there.

He probably did not pay $43k for his Bolt as he claimed. But he probably did pay $100k for a used P85D.

He's trying to justify the price bump. That's cool. But fibbing is not necessary.

I did notice he forgot to mention visibility or ease of access or parking. These are kind of important for any vehicle, especially cars. No mention of 1 foot driving either, or the better regen, or the wildly better urban/stop-n-go range. Or the bird's eye view or digital rearview.

Nor did he review the P85D either other than it Supercharges, and the NAV is used to find Superchargers.

I think he said both cars are good cars and do well in local driving. He was giving his reasons for preferring the used P85D for long distance travel which I thought was honestly presented. No fibbing necessary. Did you even read the entire article? This was for example on Page 2, your comments lead me to believe you didn't yet felt the need to criticize his personal viewpoints.

"(9) My Tesla cost a lot more as a new car than the Bolt EV did: more than $100,000 versus $43,000.

But the Tesla is bigger, more luxurious, and carries almost as much as my mini-van. Still, it was twice what I had ever paid for a car, even though I bought it as a $70,000 Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.

A friend noted that his Bolt EV would be worth $23,000 after this three-year lease ended; I wonder whether Teslas will hold more of their value longer."

I'm not sure what your point is on the Bolt just taking you to certain places. When we want to drive to let's say Walgreens, we ask our Tesla to navigate to Walgreens in let's say San Jose and it pulls up a list of stores. We select one and off we go with directions from the car. Our old Camry with navigation did something like that too but you couldn't speak it but had to type it in. Our Tesla does the same with restaurants, movie theaters etc. How do you think your Bolt is all that different and superior?

BTW if you read the article you would see that he gave his 2017 Bolt to his son so didn't sell it but as he said he simply would rather drive the MS over it especially for long distance trips which he does make and gave his legitimate reasons why.

Reactions: GatorGuy
I think he said both cars are good cars and do well in local driving. He was giving his reasons for preferring the used P85D for long distance travel which I thought was honestly presented. No fibbing necessary. Did you even read the entire article? This was for example on Page 2, your comments lead me to believe you didn't yet felt the need to criticize his personal viewpoints.

"(9) My Tesla cost a lot more as a new car than the Bolt EV did: more than $100,000 versus $43,000.

But the Tesla is bigger, more luxurious, and carries almost as much as my mini-van. Still, it was twice what I had ever paid for a car, even though I bought it as a $70,000 Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.

A friend noted that his Bolt EV would be worth $23,000 after this three-year lease ended; I wonder whether Teslas will hold more of their value longer."

I'm not sure what your point is on the Bolt just taking you to certain places. When we want to drive to let's say Walgreens, we ask our Tesla to navigate to Walgreens in let's say San Jose and it pulls up a list of stores. We select one and off we go with directions from the car. Our old Camry with navigation did something like that too but you couldn't speak it but had to type it in. Our Tesla does the same with restaurants, movie theaters etc. How do you think your Bolt is all that different and superior?

BTW if you read the article you would see that he gave his 2017 Bolt to his son so didn't sell it but as he said he simply would rather drive the MS over it especially for long distance trips which he does make and gave his legitimate reasons why.

I can get into, and out of a Bolt easier than the Tesla Model S, and see more of my surroundings. It parks easier too. The doors have more clearance. The Tesla is just as easy to drive on narrow roads than any large sedan. It's not as easy as a Bolt though.

Unless you use OnStar you won't understand it. I push a button with my thumb while I'm driving. I do not take my hands off the wheel, or eyes off the road. I can make phone calls, answer phone calls, get directions from a human, have the directions read back to me, get the next three turns, not sure how to spell something or say something? No problem. It's like having a passenger in the car handling the non-driving tasks. "I want to go to that steak house near the water in Lay Jollah? (Pronounced Lah Hoya) It's called Charter House?" "I'm sorry, Chart House no longer shows a location in La Jolla, but there is one in Newport Beach." "OK, get me directions to there, and could you connect me to their phone number?" "All set, is there anything else?" "No, thank you." "Goodbye". ring... "When is your next reservation?"

It's really a luxury feature for people who don't want to play Sim City with the dashboard in heavy traffic.

Yes, it has a subscription fee. No, I don't mind, and I think all cars should have it.

The "drive the car" is about having fun in traffic. All cars and trucks go from point A to point B. Is it fun to get there? Even in Downtown surface streets?

• Funny
Reactions: DrRa