Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new yoke retrofit quote, should I do it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The yoke is only good for driving in a straight line. My S has the yoke and after almost 2 years I'm still not into it. Although it's better now that it has the mechanical center horn button.

I love the round wheel in my X way better. As a matter of fact, Tesla offered to swap my round wheel w the new yoke and mechanical horn button and I passed. They brought the wrong one. Now w the round wheel and mechanical button it's almost a perfect steering wheel. I have no problem with cluster visibility. My 911 has a much worse instrument cluster view (when on expansive mode) this is nothing haha

To sum up... some prefer the wheel and others prefer the yoke. It's a matter of taste. One isn't "better" than the other and what is "better" depends on the individual using them. I love the yoke, personally. When I drive the Y we have, I always find the wheel awkward to use at first. At the end of the day it's a personal preference.

Open view of what, the instrument cluster? My wheel frames the cluster perfectly, and even if it obstructed 30% of it, I'd still take a proper wheel
That's your preference. Many don't like that the wheel blocks a portion of the cluster, regardless of seat position/wheel position. The car was and UI was made for a yoke and I think it's a much better experience.

Reactions: MikeChicago
got an estimate from SC to do it. yoke with revision H, $1000. yoke airbag, $600. labor, ~$100
I really like yoke, because the round one blocks my view to the gauge cluster so that I either have to sit weirdly or have the top portion of the gauge blocked. I tried it in a rental earlier and found it to be cool looking and not hard to use.

However, for $1850 after tax, that's quite a lot for a yoke.. But then I can't find anyone else online selling newer H revision..
There are people selling napa wrapped yoke, for cheaper, but I'd use my own airbag. not sure if that's safe.
Any other aftermarket recommendation? I found this Original Tesla Plaid Steering Wheel For 2021 Model S X|Hansshow, for $800. but not sure about the quality, and the stiching seems to be right at where one would grip the wheel which I can imagine would be uncomfortable
This was always a pet peeve of mine. It seemed like every round wheel blocked the speedometer from 45 to 75 when I had the seat and steering wheel adjusted to my liking. So I was thrilled to see that the MS came with a yoke. Then I found out that the one I was ordering did not have the yoke standard and I had to pay extra for it. Since many people complained about the yoke, I was hesitant to get the yoke and pay extra for something I might not like.

I'm glad to say the yoke is PERFECT for ME. Solved an issue that bothered me with just about every car I ever owned. And the yoke shape doesn't bother me at all when turning for instance. The little bumps at the top let you do most turns without having to "hand over hand" it. The only very slight problem is using the turn signal when the yoke isn't driving straight. But even that problem doesn't bother me as much as not being able to see the full IC.

Reactions: MikeChicago