Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie here, will be placing an order soon, please answer a few questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

Great information on this forum. I am relatively new to Tesla and only recently started to seriously considering placing an order. First, I thought Model 3 would be right for my family (I am actually holding a reservation for M3, but may cancel if if I order MX), but we just had a new baby and I think Model X would be more appropriate. Here are my questions:

1. I just learned from this great website that orders placed after 1/1/17 will not be eligible for free supercharging. We drive a lot, how big of a deal do you think this is? Does anyone know what "small fee for supercharging" Tesla is talking about?

2. If I put a deposit on an inventory car before 1/1/17, will I still be able to get free supercharging or is it on custom orders only?

3. I was sad to learn that they discontinued MX 60D, that would be just fine and I could always upgrade to 75 via software purchase from Tesla (correct me if I am wrong). Do 60Ds still pop up as inventory cars?

4. Do you know of any upcoming changes- price increases, new autopilot features releases, etc. I need to know about before I place my order?

5. I know there is $1000 discount referral program. Any other programs in existence?

TIA, I really appreciate everyone's help.

RJ

1. I just learned from this great website that orders placed after 1/1/17 will not be eligible for free supercharging. We drive a lot, how big of a deal do you think this is? Does anyone know what "small fee for supercharging" Tesla is talking about?

2. If I put a deposit on an inventory car before 1/1/17, will I still be able to get free supercharging or is it on custom orders only?

3. I was sad to learn that they discontinued MX 60D, that would be just fine and I could always upgrade to 75 via software purchase from Tesla (correct me if I am wrong). Do 60Ds still pop up as inventory cars?

4. Do you know of any upcoming changes- price increases, new autopilot features releases, etc. I need to know about before I place my order?

5. I know there is $1000 discount referral program. Any other programs in existence?

TIA, I really appreciate everyone's help.

RJ

Hey RJ, welcome to the fam!

1. Tesla hasn't yet unveiled what fee it will charge for supercharging. I believe that any current figures regarding this are speculation. It's also not possible to reliably say whether the 'overage' fee will be reasonable or not. For what it's worth, we have to babies, and we love road trips. This policy change in supercharging contributed in part to my wife and I pulling the trigger on the X.

2. Yes, but best to confirm with your Tesla rep (preferably to me in writing).

3. Hard to say since this is unpredictable. You can theoretically wait until the 30th to see if a 60D pops up in the inventory.

4. I don't- maybe someone else here can comment on this. Bear in mind, whatever you're told in all likelihood would be conjecture. All official (absolute) certainties Tesla-related would be found on the Tesla website.

5. You may be eligible for additional incentives depending on the state you live in. I'd ask your local Tesla rep.

Congrats again, good luck, and welcome! :D

4. Tesla makes changes frequently and without advance notice (see Osborne effect if you wonder why). If you're always waiting for the next big thing to come along, you'll never order. If you like the car the way it is now, buy it, just understand you won't have the latest and greatest for more than a few months, whenever you buy. Think of it as a tech product rather than what you're used to thinking about a car.

Another piece of advice-- buy the biggest battery you can afford.

Reactions: Fiddler
Hi @rjdoc74

The free supercharging is definitely worth it. Although the cost throughout the ownership of the vehicle may seem incremental, the free supercharging adds to the value of the car significantly and will bolster a resale price down the road. It's also important to note that any order you place before January 1 will be delivered in "Late March 2017", so there is plenty of time for you to figure stuff out.

As it relates to the 60D, I know a lot of people who were upset when it was removed as an option and any inventory cars I heard of were quickly snatched up by buyers, even if it wasn't exactly what they were looking for (like with paint color etc). I would highly doubt that you could find any.

I am also unsure about any changes in option prices. I don't foresee it. One thing that I've heard salespeople have been saying, though, is to NOT pay for the fully autonomous driving yet, rather upgrade later. It's only $1000 difference but due to the chance that it may never pass regulatory approval, it's not worth tying up the money.

Also, I noticed you are in LA. I have family near there and plan to be in the area next month, if you were interested in trying out our Model X and possibly borrowing it for up to a full day I wouldn't mind at all! Anything I can do to help Tesla get new sales! :)

Also also, if you are looking for a referral code to use it would be so helpful if you could consider using mine. I am one referral code away from my goal of 10 (after referring friends and family), which comes with a huge prize. I have a bunch of smaller exclusive prizes that Tesla is giving me for the existing referrals, and if you were interested in any of those I could give some to you. Feel free to private message me about any of this stuff! :)

Last edited:
Oh wow, you guys are awesome! Thank you for quick replies.

@Brandon332 - sure I can use your code.

Could you please clarify re autonomous driving please- I am looking at inventory cars and there are cars with 1.0, 2.0 and FSD? To get the latest autopilot I need to get 2.0, correct?

Thanks!

Yes @rjdoc74 , 2.0 would be the latest.

Autopilot 1.0 is able to pretty much drive itself on the highways. You can have it manually change lanes if you engage the turn signal. You can set the speed the car will go at (so if you have it set to 75MPH, it will either go 75, or say there's a car in front of you going 65, it will stay ~3 car lengths behind and go 65). Autopilot 1.0 should cost $3000 to enable.

Autopilot 2.0 is what is currently described on Tesla's website. The term autopilot 2.0 refers to the new hardware in the cars, and there are two options to enable. This link on Tesla's page describes Autopilot 2.0 best. Order a Tesla Model X | Tesla I would very strongly recommend getting the autopilot 2.0 hardware.

And that would be super awesome if you could use the code! The link you click on to get the $1000 off and use the code is Referral | Tesla . Thanks!

What is the difference between autopilot 2.0 and 2.0 E?

@rjdoc74 see my comment above. But There is only one "Autopilot 2.0", this term "Autopilot 2.0" refers only to the new hardware on the car (8 new cameras and a faster computer processor). However, with this new Autopilot 2.0 hardware, you are able to purchase either enhanced autopilot functionality or full self driving functionality, both of which are described in the link above :)

I know it's kind of confusing to explain on here. If you wanted to talk on the phone to clarify I am a strong believer that verbal communication makes stuff a lot easier.

Got it, thanks so much. I still have 10 days, I will spend some more time on this website.
@rjdoc74 you might want to consider ordering sooner. Last week they changed Tesla's website to say "Late March" delivery for new orders. In order to get unlimited free supercharging, orders need to be delivered before April 1 2017.

I've seen a number of people here and on the Facebook groups say that they may update that to April soon, because the number of orders are accelerating as the end of year approaches. Once you place an order, you have 7 days to modify any options or to cancel.

You don't want to miss out! But take your time and make sure you know what you want! :)

2.0 Car has newest hardware, enhanced autopilot and full self driving (FSD) can be purchased later

2.0E. Car has newest hardware and enhanced autopilot. FSD can be purchased later.

FSD Car has newest hardware and both enhanced autopilot and full self driving (when available) enabled.

There is a discount for buying EAP and FSD with the car.

Got it, thanks so much. I still have 10 days, I will spend some more time on this website.
Just be aware of this...it is an excerpt from Tesla website. Before activating the features enabled by the new hardware, we will further calibrate the system using millions of miles of real-world driving to ensure significant improvements to safety and convenience. While this is occurring, Teslas with new hardware will temporarily lack certain features currently available on Teslas with first-generation Autopilot hardware, including some standard safety features such as automatic emergency braking, collision warning, lane holding and active cruise control. As these features are robustly validated we will enable them over the air, together with a rapidly expanding set of entirely new features. As always, our over-the-air software updates will keep customers at the forefront of technology and continue to make every Tesla, including those equipped with first-generation Autopilot and earlier cars, more capable over time.

It's more like the change is from unlimited free Supercharging to limited free Supercharging, such that you would still get 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles). Presumably you daily charge at home and only use Supercharging for road trips. So if you only do about one road trip a year at 500 miles each way (1000 round trip), then it is not such a big deal that the free Supercharging will be limited. But if you're a big road tripper, then I would order by the first of the year.

I spent a lot of time last night researching and reading this great website. Learned a ton. I have one follow up question- if I happen to snag a acceptable inventory vehicle before year's end and it has 1.0 autopilot hardware, is it upgradable to 2.0 for a fee at a later date or am I stock with 1.0? TIA!

I spent a lot of time last night researching and reading this great website. Learned a ton. I have one follow up question- if I happen to snag a acceptable inventory vehicle before year's end and it has 1.0 autopilot hardware, is it upgradable to 2.0 for a fee at a later date or am I stock with 1.0? TIA!
Sadly you are stuck with AP 1.0 forever. My Model X has 1.0 and I was upset when I learned there would be no upgrade. Tesla said that the cost to upgrade would be more than the price of a new car :-/

I will say though that AP 1.0 isn't bad at all though, it works on the highways which for me is the only time I'd use it. If you see an inventory vehicle, try to call a local service center if you can to see if they will negotiate any on the price, and also be sure you get the $1000 off with the referral code. Sometimes they negotiate the price though many times not.

2.0 vehicles have additional sensors/product that 1.0 vehicles do not have.....please note 1.0 is pretty darn good and very useful for most highway driving. I suspect full autonomous driving is quite a ways off and anyway didn't fit into my projected ownership horizon of my current X; thus, 1.0 will meet my current needs; it may not meet yours.

FWIW, I take a lot of long distance trips so free Supercharging will save me thousands of dollars over the life of my vehicle (probably 13K or my 17K so far has been supercharged). However, if your projected SC use will be minimal, the annual amount that Tesla will provide for you could be sufficient.

My situation is complicated. I live in the middle of Los Angeles in a condominium. I commute to work with total of 70 miles miles per day 4 days per week. I currently drive 15 Audi Q5 TDI which gets excellent MPG (~35 MPG highway), so even with my commute I spend $40/week in gas (not bad). I have wanted a Tesla since Model S came out. I am actually in line for Model 3. Biggest issue for me is charging in a condo. My HOA board has no issues with me installing a charger. A few years ago I had an electrician and a guy from Edison ( my electric company) come out to assess my building. Edison guy told me installation would be difficult and expensive since building was built in 1982 and we apparently do not get full 240V to the building, only ~180V. To be completely honest, I don't think he did any kind of detailed assessment, it seemed like he just didn't want to deal with it. I need to have a qualified electrician come out and tell me exactly what I can and can't have. Last night, I learned about a company called EverCharge and I contacted them last night. Hopefully, I can talk talk to them today. I thought I have time, but with this 1/1/17 I have to hurry up lol!

My situation is complicated. I live in the middle of Los Angeles in a condominium. I commute to work with total of 70 miles miles per day 4 days per week. I currently drive 15 Audi Q5 TDI which gets excellent MPG (~35 MPG highway), so even with my commute I spend $40/week in gas (not bad). I have wanted a Tesla since Model S came out. I am actually in line for Model 3. Biggest issue for me is charging in a condo. My HOA board has no issues with me installing a charger. A few years ago I had an electrician and a guy from Edison ( my electric company) come out to assess my building. Edison guy told me installation would be difficult and expensive since building was built in 1982 and we apparently do not get full 240V to the building, only ~180V. To be completely honest, I don't think he did any kind of detailed assessment, it seemed like he just didn't want to deal with it. I need to have a qualified electrician come out and tell me exactly what I can and can't have. Last night, I learned about a company called EverCharge and I contacted them last night. Hopefully, I can talk talk to them today. I thought I have time, but with this 1/1/17 I have to hurry up lol!

@rjdoc74 Our house was built in 1960, at first they said something similar that we wouldn't get the full 240V. But it was just the guy being weird, we ended up calling another electrician and he did the whole setup for just over $600 and it was fine. Even if for whatever reason it was 180 and not 240, it was just charge a bit slower, though that's obviously not what you want.

If your worried about the 1/1/17 deadline, you can always just place the order sooner and cancel it within 7 days if you find out it won't work. Once you place your order you can modify it/cancel in full within 7 days. Maybe that can give you a little peace of mind. Tesla's are awesome cars, we all know you'll love it!!

I would only buy an inventory Model X with ap1 if they give you a hefty discount, lets say something upwards of 7k. I have heard of Tesla doing trade ins with brand new model x's with ap1 for the same car with ap2 and charging 10-20k before differences in cost before taking into consideration enabling the software. AP1 hardware is useful and nobody knows how much better AP2 will be yet, but make no mistake that the resale value of ap1 is significantly lower and the price you pay should reflect that.

As for Super Charging you will get some for free after the new year, about 1000 miles according to the blog. Considering that you want a 60D, maybe that is enough? But as others have mentioned even if you do not plan to use the free super charging, it will increase the resale value of your Model X provided the free super charging is transferable. Any know if it is?

Here is Tesla's blog post on super charging An Update to Our Supercharging Program

And here is a relevant passage from that:

"For Teslas ordered after January 1, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that all owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel."