Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question: updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to buy a used Model 3.
The software version it is at is 12.7.61
Is it super behind on updates? Should I ask them to make it up to date in order to make sure it works, or is that generally not a problem and just get it up to date myself once I receive the car?

Attachments

• 123951.jpg
    123951.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 69
I believe early access is a different software distribution train, with its own set of updates and schedules. It may be that when you transfer the car ownership, you'll go back to the standard release schedule. You may want to ask about this.

I asked for a screenshot.
That might be the case, though. It's a 2017 model 3 that Musk employees got early access to. Owner is selling it now because he has AWD. I'm guessing they would get early access.
Although I'm seeing people on here with 2019.
Unless early access versions are numbered differently, that 7 should denote the week number, putting it in February.

This is closer to what I was thinking, given that I have seen people with things like 2019.12.1.1.... Should I ask them to update it all the way to most current in order to make sure it works, or is that not really an issue with over the air updates and I can just do it myself once I am in possession of the car?

All of the 2019.7.x updates are early access only. This was the first version that enabled V3 supercharger capability. I’d ask to see if they can get it updated to a newer version.

• Informative
Reactions: vnxs
You can do it yourself, turn on you’re wifi, make sure that “Keep Climate On” is turned off. Let it sit overnight. Hopefully you will get a notice on your phone that a update is ready to be installed.

Fred

And now I have a new question -- I assume we do a factory reset on the car when transferring ownership. What does this do about the updates?

Nothing. Whether the vehicle is registered for the Early Access Program is all dependent on a database on Tesla’s end. You’d have to contact Tesla to have the car removed from Early Access if you don’t want to be on it.

I believe early access is a different software distribution train, with its own set of updates and schedules. It may be that when you transfer the car ownership, you'll go back to the standard release schedule. You may want to ask about this.

This point deserves emphasis and elaboration. I'm by no means an expert on Tesla's early access program, but as I understand it, the early access release numbers are not comparable to the standard release version numbers. In other words, that early-access 2019.7.61 number shown in the screen shot might mean that the car has more or fewer features than the 2019.12.1.2 that most Model 3 owners now have.

When Tesla figures out that the car has been sold, I'd expect it to be removed from the early access program. At that point, or at the next software update, the car will likely download a non-early-access software release. If the current software includes pre-release features, like Advanced Summon or the ability to use Autopilot-type driving on city streets, then you'll lose those features. (Unless of course they've been released to the general public by then.) If the installed software is behind on features that are new to 2019.12.x, then you'll gain those features. You'd probably have to dig through the car's menus to figure out what you'd be likely to gain or lose -- and that would only tell you about menu-accessible features, not things like whether the car is subject to "phantom braking."

In the long term, this isn't likely to make much difference. New features go out to employees and other early access cars for alpha testing, but sooner or later they should make their way to the general public. I don't know the time frame for this, though. I'm sure it depends to some extent on how buggy new features are. I doubt if it'll make any difference in, say, six months, unless perhaps a bureaucratic mistake leaves you on the early access list for an extended period of time. You might or might not want that, of course.