Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newly delivered Model Y Top glass replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my Model Y LR last month. On the day of delivery, I noticed a chip on the top glass. Consequently, I scheduled a service appointment to have the top glass replaced. After the service was completed, I received a call informing me that the top glass cannot be replaced at the moment due to the car being newly built and the rubber on the frame not having settled yet. They rescheduled a new appointment for two months later. Is this normal? I have been unable to find this explanation online.

• Informative
Reactions: Scubamikey
Sorry this has happened to you. Last week I rejected delivery of a car due to the rubber seal protruding at the leading edge of the roof. I didn't want to deal with a new vehicle needing a repair in the future for the entire roof. In your case, is the roof leaking or causing another issue? If not, then maybe its just best to wait and follow Tesla's advice.

Upvote 0
Sorry this has happened to you. Last week I rejected delivery of a car due to the rubber seal protruding at the leading edge of the roof. I didn't want to deal with a new vehicle needing a repair in the future for the entire roof. In your case, is the roof leaking or causing another issue? If not, then maybe its just best to wait and follow Tesla's advice.
No the roof is not leaking. It's just a chip on the top roof. I will wait as they promised to replace it.

Upvote 0
That was not my experience. When I received my car in April of 2021, there was a defect in the glass roof spotted by my delivery advisor. It took 2 weeks for the service center to receive a replacement roof and they had the car overnight to replace the glass and allow time for the adhesive to cure.
oh, interesting. In my case, I need to wait for 2 months as there are no other problems that need to take care of immediately

Upvote 0
Had my roof and windshield replaced a couple of months after delivery due to a defect. Two weeks for the glass to arrive, and the appointment took 2 days, but the installation from the SC was better than factory and as a bonus resulted in a significant reduction in wind noise, so I'm happy. Tesla SCs replace a lot of glass, so in my opinion, you should feel comfortable with this type of work.

Reactions: CuriousWren
Upvote 0
I received my Model Y LR last month. On the day of delivery, I noticed a chip on the top glass. Consequently, I scheduled a service appointment to have the top glass replaced. After the service was completed, I received a call informing me that the top glass cannot be replaced at the moment due to the car being newly built and the rubber on the frame not having settled yet. They rescheduled a new appointment for two months later. Is this normal? I have been unable to find this explanation online.
If anything, I would think that this would make the glass easier to remove! Seems like a bs excuse to me; perhaps they know they can't get the glass for 2 months? At any rate, they will fix it so no big deal in the interim.

Upvote 0
If it's really gonna take two more months for the rubber to be ready to accept an install how did they install the original glass roof in the first place?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0