Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to get mine serviced here in Toronto for this shudder problem I've had for a while and was told it is normal when setting the height to standard or above.

View attachment 340979
Hmmmm, so I should expect a high performance car like a Tesla to shake like an old Ford truck with bad shocks on a gravel road and that is considered normal? :eek: I haven't seen any other car do that at any price range.

Hmmmm, so I should expect a high performance car like a Tesla to shake like an old Ford truck with bad shocks on a gravel road and that is considered normal? :eek: I haven't seen any other car do that at any price range.

The model 3 performance does not use air suspension so it should be a good choice if that is a concern .... I have had my MX P100d issue resolved for now with a tire change and re alignment of wheels done by SC ... but the service center did acknowledge that it’s an issue with a few MX cars .. they put the number at 5% of MX have an open service ticket on this particular issue ... they told me that they will inquire into a possible new replacement part with folks at Fremont ... to me it appears to be similar to the issue of double image with front panoramic glass that some earlier MX owners were facing ... turned out to be part supplier’s fault for not putting the UV coating on glass properly and no longer an issue with newer owners or after glass was replaced with properly coated glass by Tesla ... once the defect is identified , a fix should be available...

Reactions: Cowby
My X is in the shop right now for the shudder that needs no explanation. I just got a call from my SC that told me that they just got off the phone with a "senior" engineer from Cali that says there IS a newly designed part that is a permanent fix that will be shipping out to service centers soon. He said they dont have an ETA or even a ballpark as to when they would be able to get some in hand but gave me the option if I wanted to have them throw old new axles in today or wait for the newly designed ones to show up.

Supposedly, the new axles are going to have some sort of dampeners built into themto absorb any vibration and permanently end the shudder.

Just thought you guys would like to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Made me happy to hear at long last.

I'm a new owner of a model x. I have noticed the steering wheel "shudders" at times when I go over a painted line (lane marker). I this a warning vibration feature (like my old BMW) or a steering vibration problem? Thanks!

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Perhaps Tesla is ignoring this problem because they are too distracted with production numbers, dealing with SEC and now apparently DOJ, etc? They will have to resolve the shudder issue soon before their reputation takes a hit. Maybe there are very few MX owners compared to S/M3 and MX owners seem to be more forgiving than M3 owners.

One way to shed more light on the shudder issue is to maybe tweet links to all the shudder issue threads to vloggers/bloggers like Marques Brownlee @MKBHD who may have some power in terms of reaching out directly to upper management.

Maybe there are very few MX owners compared to S/M3 and MX owners seem to be more forgiving than M3 owners.
This is real. They've been selling FSD for 2 years and now there's a large number of Model 3 on the street they stopped selling it.

All the price changes / PUP bundling, Tesla did nothing to people who just bought the car with or without PUP. Yet just last night Tesla decided to bundle Performance Package into the Model 3 Performance (effectively slashing price by $5k), EM craved in and is offering refund.

Reactions: spectrum
I don't know a single X owner with over 15k miles that hasn't had this issue. And every owner that has had it "fixed" it comes back after a few months. Can this ever be fixed or is it just a design flaw and they need to let us know there will never be a fix, Any aftermarket guys up to showing Tesla how it could be done? It's been over 3 years now.

I spoke to the service adviser at the Oakville (Toronto) SC about my vibration and he said "Tesla was now looking at a software fix that would reduce the torque to the front motor on hard acceleration". Not sure if this was BS to get rid of me, but I asked him to make sure my vehicle record shows that I have complained about this issue.

At what point do you guys demand a fix? Mine had gotten pretty bad in low. Just a moderate acceleration will shudder. My SC previously said it is a known problem and mine is "not that bad".

The only way to "demand" is to take a legal route because not much is gonna happen by asking SC's, they are just employees working for Tesla. Given that Tesla has known about this issue for at least a couple of years (or more?) & hasn't done anything about it, legal route might be something that could be considered. It can be disheartening to be driving a rattling 100+K car!

Reactions: Michelx