Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next best option vs. a 14-50 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, the NEMA 14-30 adapter seems to be discontinued. That would be your 30 amp solution. Perhaps a local service center still has one in stock. Might be worth checking before you get the outlet installed.
I just stopped into the Rocklin, CA service center and they have the NEMA 14-30 adapters in stock. The representative was surprised that the adapter was not on the web-site.

Yes, I did. If you happen to get by there again soon, perhaps pick one up for me? I'll pay shipping. :)

Drew told me they don't have them - that they used to but he doesn't recall them being there for a while.

It's not a 10-30, is it? Lots of service centers still have those. 10-30 is 3 prong (1 "L" and 2 diagonal") while 14-30 is 4 prong (1 "L" and 3 straight).

Don't they have adapters you can pick up online from Amazon

Yes they do. The issue is that they're usually 14-30 to 14-50 adapters. So the Tesla will think it should draw power at the 14-50 rate. If you use the generic adapter you have to manually dial down the amps (and remember to).

@FlasherZ

I contacted my service center asking if they had a 14-30 lying around. About a week later I got an email from them that they found one and I could pick it up. Try it. We're using a 14-30 now with a new house (came with it in the garage). Since it's a dedicated UMC adapter, it automatically sets the amps appropriately. My plan is to install a 14-50 when we get another Tesla.

Hopefully Tesla will re-introduce more UMC adapters, especially to cover new Model 3 buyers.

You're right, it's the 10-30 not the 14-30. Too many numbers to keep track of!

Here is a quick reference guide for the various NEMA plugs and charging times.

Adapter chart-2.jpg
Tesla plugs.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Short version of the question: What is the best option for charging at 30 amps or less?

Anyone have experience with using a 6-15 for charging? Also, we could go up to 30 amps for that outlet, are there any good Tesla-approved options for something between a 6-15 and a 14-50?

If you don't mind going non-Tesla, there is most definitely a safe option (I strongly discourage any setup where you depend on limiting the draw @ the car... accidents happen): AFAIK, JuiceBox 40A chargers are chainable, so you can put two on a 14-50 socket, and let the cars take turns @ 40A.

I thought I was all set with my crappy ol' Blink charger running at 25A, plugged into an ancient 6-50 socket... and it just sucked. I yanked the Blink off and rewired the socket to be 14-50, and it's now more than enough @40A max.

When I get a second EV, which may very well be a non-Tesla ... I may revisit the JuiceBox idea myself.

Or just install a hardwired Clipper Creek (or other) 30A (delivers 24A to car) use J1772 adapter.

Or install a hardwired HPWC and set to 30A supply circuit.

Or install a 14-30 outlet and use a plug in Clipper Creek LCS-30P with 14-30 plug

PS I have a hardwired Clipper Creek HCS-40 on a 40A circuit (delivers 32A)

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I'd like a solution to just plug in and let the car do it's thing vs. having to adjust settings every time. Good to know that there used to be a "native" 30 amp solution and that there is the current Clipper Creek J1772 30 amp model. Given that, I'm thinking we'll just wait until we actually need a second charging solution and see what the best solution is at that point. I would be very surprised if a 30 amp (24 amp actual) solution wouldn't be more than ample for us, so probably better to wait for an actual good solution vs. an awkward compromise now. (As much as I generally like to just get this sort of thing take care of once and for all)
You can set the OpenEVSE charger to 24 amps (or any other value up to the maximum). It will tell the car that the maximum current draw is 24 amps so no danger of going over.
OpenEV | Home
They have various models, 30 amp and 50 amp max. The 50 amp models are on sale now for less than the 30 amp models and they are a better design so I'd recommend the 50.
These cost about $250 plus $150 for the J1772 cable. They are sold as "kits" which require some assembly but nothing complex. I've had one of these running for over a year with no problems.

For the OP's situation, I would have the electrician install a 100A subpanel in the garage. Feed it with the largest breaker possible in the main panel - apparently this may be 80A. Install one of the new $550 Wall Connectors (HPWC) now using all the capacity. When the Model 3 comes, you can install another Wall Connector and use the load sharing feature.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I'd direct wire in a HPWC at 80 amps. Then when you get the Model ☰ you can daisy chain a second HPWC. This is a new feature of the new HPWC, and let's them adjust current for more than one car on the fly, the way the super chargers do.