Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MyDreamSIDE.jpg

A car dersign I did a few years back. A Jaguar XJ13 with stiling cues from a mercedes SL 300. Long nose (front trunk) and a short rear trunk that can hide the foold away hardtop roof when not in use. Dual motors and almost same batterij base a s model S.
Front air outlets could be used to create a vacume effect in front drive train position to suck body down to the road. Air inlete at back of door is to cool rear brakes and hide door handle.

Great performance and killer looks. Even if the base model would be in the 100.000€ range I may go and have a serieus talk with my bank manager to get a loan :D

Last edited:
"From what you have gathered"? Please quote your sources.

At this point, anything you hear about the next Tesla Roadster version is simply speculation. The only thing Elon has said is that the next Roadster will have "Maximum Plaid" capability. That is a "Spaceballs" movie reference, I believe. Make of that what you will, and speculate away...

View attachment 168507 From what I have gathered, Tesla will be making a 2019 Roadster that is quicker than a mclaren p1 and with a possible 400 mile range upgrade? I'm not solid on that one, so does anyone else have a clue?

Yes, I know it's little early but what the heck lets get this show on the road!

Thanks,
Kurt
The Mclaren P1 goes from 0-60 in around 2.8 seconds. So if the new roadster goes faster than the tesla model s, it is quicker than the P1.

Hence the "There is of course only one thing beyond ludicrous...".
It really wasn't a "from what i've gathered statement", it was more on the lines of "copying off the three dog day" blog post by Elon Musk from tesla.com on July 17, 2015.

• Love
Reactions: Electric Jupiter
I predict they would make a pickup before another Roadster as they have FAR greater market share and therefore have a much larger impact.
Thats something a lot of americans would like. That being said, I feel like most "big-rig American truckers" will think its wimpy to drive around an electric truck... until they see the gas bill. :cool:

As I have stated previously, I strongly expect it to be very similar to a 911 (in size, seating arrangement, etc). That is their target market. It will not be like the current Roadster. A 911 is a few inches shorter than a BMW 3/AudiA4 (target for Model 3) but has ~14" shorter wheelbase. So the next-gen Roadster may end up with a different chassis.

If Tesla has gone with a re-configurable skateboard like Faraday Future claims they have done, The Model 3 skateboard could be build shorter by removing a section, or extended by adding one. They couldn't extend or shrink it too much or the dimensions will get out of balance. Both a car's looks as well as stability can be compromised if it is very short compared to its width and if it's very long compared to its width it begins to look like a stretch limo and the whole structure can be weakened if the car it too long. Stretch limos often need reinforcing struts to keeps them from breaking in the middle.

In any case if they do make a shorter wheelbase Model 3 platform out of the basic platform, that could be used for a next gen Roadster fairly easily.

Koengisegg_Regera_front_moretwist.jpg
I haven't read this whole thread so excuse me if I'm repeating someone else.

Next Roadster may as well capitalize on all the EV advantages (incl max plaid performance) so:-

Frunk;
hatchback for more luggage;
4 seats (possible without a daft mid-ICE) - without getting rid of the 'mid-engine look';
Falcon wing doors to access back seats and remove the ingress/egress issues of lower cars
'Hidden' head and tail lights (to give a really modern and sleek look)
Wrap-around, more upright windscreen (like a LMP-1 sports car and a bit like a Koenigsegg Regera - pictured...) - extra internal space and 'different' look to all the other sports car wedges/door stops - better visibility
Carbon fibre body to keep CoG really low
Ground effect aero - not possible easily with an ICE
Classic looks - not some temporary fad........

Out and out performance sportscar with GT cruising abilities - could be one's only car! Blinding performance with easy town/boulevard performance - and silent instead of all that puffed up raucous engine noise.

Silent assassin! But at a price - Tesla may as well keep numbers down and profit up - it would be unique and un-copyable (OK maybe by Porsche as the Electric Mission is nearly there - if it ever gets built)

Last edited:
Since the frunk is generally smaller, it would be interesting if the convertible top folds forward into the frunk. Of course you could make the frunk larger and make it primary storage and the top fold back into a smaller trunk. The larger frunk would likely also increase front crash safety.

I much prefer powered hardtops to soft tops. I'll take the weight hit.

Reactions: Jaff
If ordinary gull wing doors have worked on sportscars before, I'm sure that a bit of tinkering with the format of the FWDs would make access way way better than most sportscars.

In any event a 'sensible' and useable sportscar need not be that low.............Especially if it is an EV and has a super low CoG.

I wonder if FWDs could fold in the middle the other way as well?!