Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If ordinary gull wing doors have worked on sportscars before, I'm sure that a bit of tinkering with the format of the FWDs would make access way way better than most sportscars.

But did they "work", or were they an annoying pain that had to be ducked under to get in?

Why are we talking about falcon wing doors in a Roadster thread?

Roadster == no roof == no FWD attachment points

Another good point.

As I have stated previously, I strongly expect it to be very similar to a 911 (in size, seating arrangement, etc). That is their target market. It will not be like the current Roadster. A 911 is a few inches shorter than a BMW 3/AudiA4 (target for Model 3) but has ~14" shorter wheelbase. So the next-gen Roadster may end up with a different chassis.
I speculate 2+2 also, since that is a much larger market than a true roadster. Although I think it makes sense to use the 3 chassis as a basis, I agree with you that the wheelbase will be a problem. However, if they make a custom chassis, I do wonder what their strategy will be for it. Would they go with 911 strategy (2+2 with more tame base model and option up to equivalent to Turbo S or GT3 RS) or 918 (2 seater only and entire car optimized for peak performance)?

image.jpeg

I really hope it's a 2+2. Like a 911 with more usable rear seats. That would be ideal.
A 2+2 is not a Roadster by definition. I'm hoping the next Roadster will really be a "Roadster".

A "911 with more usable rear seats" is a... coupe, not a sports car, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with small coupes. But they are not Roadsters.

• Helpful
Reactions: hoang51
A 2+2 is not a Roadster by definition. I'm hoping the next Roadster will really be a "Roadster".

A "911 with more usable rear seats" is a... coupe, not a sports car, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with small coupes. But they are not Roadsters.

I know a roadster is a 2 seater by definition, i.e. The Miata, Z4, SLK, TT Roadster etc. Also, the Tesla Roadster is not really, technically a true "roadster" per se anyway. It, like the Elise, (with the removable middle section), are targa tops.

That being said I'm pretty sure the next sports car will be targeting the 911 and be a 2+2. What makes me think this way? In the past, before the Model S was in production, Elon has mentioned how loves the fact that his 911 can be used to drop off his kids before going to work.

If I had to guess, the 2+2 would be a hardtop convertible, where you can still use the front trunk as storage when the top is open. And just to pay homage to the original car, it will probably be called the Model R.

Tesla will reportedly call new Roadster the 'Model R'

Also there's this article from 2009:

Tesla Prepares Electric Porsche 911 Competitor

I know it's old but it could still provide some clues as to what to expect.

Anyway, everything is speculation until the actual car, whatever it is, is revealed...

I think Elon has a soft spot for the Roadster and that he will decide to build the next Roadster before building a truck.

The American truck market will be very hard for Tesla to cracks, for a variety of reasons. I think a next gen EV sports car (a Roadster type) can be a huge success against Porsche. It will be more difficult to build an EV truck that can compete against Ford and GM's offerings with gas so cheap. Now if gas doubles or triples in 5 years, it will be easier.

Roadster is still at least 5 years away.
Now it is model 3, then Y, then T(ruck), then maybe a roadster.

I would not hold a breath. Want a roadster? Go buy a used one.

Elon has said the next gen roadster comes after the SUV/CUV version of the Model 3.

Much as I think it would be cool to have a Model T, Tesla won't be able to do that. Ford threatened to sue over a Model E they never built, so Tesla definitely won't be able to do a Model T. A battery powered truck is not viable with today's battery tech. Trucks have a lot of drag and they need to haul loads, both towing and in the bed both of which really reduce the efficiency. The battery on a Tesla truck is probably going to be around 200-300 KWh to be useful and loaded it might get less than 300 miles range.

When Toyota came out with a full sized truck people thought they were crazy taking on the Big 3 in the market niche they dominate. Toyota is still #4 in that niche, but they survived.

Beyond a pickup truck, probably the most profitable vector for a BEV truck would be as a commercial vehicle. If a BEV truck with good range and good carrying capacity was available, companies like UPS and FedEx as well as postal services around the world would buy many tens of thousands right off the drawing board. Those companies spend a fortune on fuel for delivery trucks and some places in Europe are making it hard for their trucks to operate in city cores. But even in the US they would grab them up.

Long haul trucks are not going to be viable BEVs for some time because the trucks need to keep moving all day long and the down time needed for charging is too much overhead. However delivery trucks spend half the day or more sitting idle. That would be an ideal time to charge. As long as the vehicle has enough range to cover its route and carry enough cargo to be worthwhile, it would be a massive seller. It could become Tesla's biggest profit center.

However, batteries need to advance somewhat from where they are now.

Reactions: hoang51
Why do you think that?
I think he views the Model S as the first true Tesla, and he would prefer to forget the Roadster.
Because he said many times that it was the original Roadster purchasers who got the company started on the path to success, because I heard him respond to a question at the 2014 shareholders meeting by saying that he did have plans to "do something nice for Roadster owners" (resulting in the 3.0 battery with over 300 miles of range), because he has said many many times in interviews that the Roadster was the EV that showed the world that an EV could be an exciting and stylish car and not a glorified golf cart.

You just have to listen to his words over the years to understand how important the Roadster is to Elon and to Tesla.

Why do you think that?
I think he views the Model S as the first true Tesla, and he would prefer to forget the Roadster.

If he wanted to forget the Roadster there would be no program to upgrade the battery packs, which will be available soon.

I think Elon does have a soft spot for the Roadster, it was the first step of the big journey and a next gen Roadster is sort of a homage to the first car Tesla produced. Because the Roadster was a compromise design built from a chassis intended for an ICE, it had a lot of compromises and I think Elon wants to make a no compromise Roadster to sort of honor the idea of the original Roadster.

If he wanted to forget the Roadster there would be no program to upgrade the battery packs, which will be available soon
Yes it is obvious that Elon fully appreciates and values the contribution the Roadster has made to Tesla's success. Just want to note that the Roadster 3.0 battery has already been installed in multiple cars (see the 3.0 battery thread) and others have reported that they are scheduled to receive it or they have been told by a Service Center that they are installing them soon in multiple cars. Because the batteries are essentially hand built, and the Tesla Service Centers are very busy, many Roadster owners are still waiting to hear when they will get theirs, myself included. Really looking forward to seeing my VDS display over 300 miles of range!