TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Next Gen seats rubbing on center console/arm rest

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by sundoc, Jan 31, 2015.

1. sundoc

sundoc Member

Anyone else with the next gen front seats having an issue with the bolster rubbing against the centre armrest/console area?

It's not really a big deal but the constant 'squeaky' noise of leather rubbing on leather is slightly annoying... not to mention that that area will likely, eventually get damaged.

I'm going to look into some leather treatment products and see if it makes any difference.

2. David99

David99 Active Member

I have that issue with the old seat as well. I put a piece of tape on the side to prevent the noise. But it's not a good solution.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Same here. Told the SC numerous times and at one point it was mentioned that there was a seat change, but nothing has ever come of it. That squeaking in a relatively quiet car is very annoying.

4. PlanB

PlanB Banned

Try putting a piece of thick felt in the area that rubs. Any fabric store will have felt.

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I only wish I had this problem. Still waiting on my next gen seats to show up...

Felt tape should do the trick. My wife's old BMW X3 developed a similar problem and that took care of the problem.

6. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

Wish I had that problem, still waiting for my Model S with nex gen seats.

pictures please - thay will say more than 1000 words

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I'm willing to bet you'll have your next gen seats before I do. <sigh>

8. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

And me. I sent a note to service last week to ask about timing, and received a note back that basically said "we don't know". It's annoying to not have the seats that I paid for a month after receiving the car, but it was my choice to take delivery without the seats so that's on me. However, Tesla still not having a schedule/plan in a place to conduct the swaps by February is quite annoying.

9. TheDane

TheDane Member

Anyone found a good solution to this one yet? Is taping felt onto the seat really the best option?

10. spentan

spentan Active Member

I took it in to my Service Center, they put a huge amount of felt tape on the center console and now it doesn't rub at all (It used to be extremely squeaky)

11. TSchaefer

TSchaefer ~~~Model S Owner~~~ Model 3 Reservation Holder

Does the felt tape show at all ?

12. spentan

spentan Active Member

yes, it does show.

btw, the squeaking is back, i think the seat doesn't like the fact that I'm 420lbs and doing Insane launches haha.

On order for replacement, hasn't come in yet.

13. sundoc

sundoc Member

Glad to hear they're going to replace your seat!
    I've still got the squeak unless I keep a felt cloth in between the seat and the console.

There was an episode of Top Gear where they reviewed the Jag F Type, exact same problem... I think its for this reason that the Audi S series has cloth/felt long that portion of their seats.

14. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

#14 3mp_kwh, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Having this issue with the (next gen) lateral support, now. So, felt with adhesive? Thanks. I was thinking a leather cream, or similar lubricant. The random envelope is getting old, fast.

15. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

I used a drop stop thing, installed backwards to provide a cushion between the seat and armrest. It works pretty well and doesn't look too bad.