Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next generation Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The things Tesla needs to add ASAP is a proper bird's eye view for parking, HUD with all navigation data (just steal BMWs), blind spot warning at the mirror mounting points in addition to in the binnacle, and proper sun visors (maybe electro-optical).

This.

I think true Level 4/5 driving is a ways (years) off and my 1st gen MX is good enough in stop and go traffic and on good highways (which is the only time I really feel like using it). I was just offered by Tesla to buy out my lease 6 months early if I got a new model MX but not interested unless the battery is 120 or bigger. The first gen MCU is fast enough for me. I am 6'3" and the big window is a must have so the 3 is out. I did put a deposit on the Rivian truck with the 185 battery since 400 miles of range would get me to Vancouver in one charge. I am going to keep my current MX until there is a worthy upgrade in battery size or the competition builds something comparable. The HUD and parking cameras should be standard in a techy car such as this on the other hand.

This.

I think true Level 4/5 driving is a ways (years) off and my 1st gen MX is good enough in stop and go traffic and on good highways (which is the only time I really feel like using it). I was just offered by Tesla to buy out my lease 6 months early if I got a new model MX but not interested unless the battery is 120 or bigger. The first gen MCU is fast enough for me. I am 6'3" and the big window is a must have so the 3 is out. I did put a deposit on the Rivian truck with the 185 battery since 400 miles of range would get me to Vancouver in one charge. I am going to keep my current MX until there is a worthy upgrade in battery size or the competition builds something comparable. The HUD and parking cameras should be standard in a techy car such as this on the other hand.

Once there, how will you charge? Do you have access to a level 2 charger overnight? I don't know what type of fast charger the Rivian uses. Currently the alternative fast DC chargers are about half as fast as the Superchargers. They are just now announcing the new 100 kW Chademo chargers. I know everyone is talking about even faster chargers, but they will need faster batteries as well.

This.

You do have valid points given Rivian's claimed 400mi range. But that truck/SUV has 80% more battery capacity but only a 36% increase in range compared to the MX 100D. This indicates that the vehicle is not very efficient in getting the most mileage out of the bigger battery pack. In real world usage, I wonder if the range will turn out to be worse - unless Rivian have purposefully low-balled their range estimates.

All true. But that vehicle is two years away (assuming they are accurate) and as a second car complementing my MX it looks good in its vapourware form. As far as charging, I imagine the landscape will be different in two years with the other automakers getting together to provide competition to the supercharging network. Then again most of my driving is under 300 km and level two chargers are abundant in interior BC so I can fill up overnight. I do not see them as a competitor to Tesla since the Tesla truck seems based on the semi platform, but rather as a complementary company. If they do pull it off, then great. If not then at most I lost a thousand dollars.

I did after all put 5000$ on my MX, waited almost 3 years and have never regretted that move. And I still love the car even though the half shafts are still a pain and the assumed re-corking with recent software updates has slowed my off the line acceleration in daily driving. Going back to the purpose of this thread, none of the current upgrades in the MX is compelling enough to make me trade mine in and the front suspension remains an issue even in current models. Factory setting the suspension low by default and reducing off the line acceleration in ludicrous mode is not what I am looking for as a solution. I still have 18 months on warranty so will see where we are at in 2020.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Nice thing about potential new vehicles is that they have absolutely no flaws...until people get them on the road and report.

I remember so many of my high performance ICE vehicles also suffering from drive line tramp getting off the line. Needed aftermarket traction bars or such to stop the wheel hop. Funneling all that torque through a front driveline is always going to be challenging. I remember driving a early Prius that would almost jerk the wheel out of my hands with scarry torque steer.

You do have valid points given Rivian's claimed 400mi range. But that truck/SUV has 80% more battery capacity but only a 36% increase in range compared to the MX 100D. This indicates that the vehicle is not very efficient in getting the most mileage out of the bigger battery pack. In real world usage, I wonder if the range will turn out to be worse - unless Rivian have purposefully low-balled their range estimates.

Well it appears to have the aerodynamics of a house brick and the frontal area of a small house, so that's not going to help much with efficiency at highway speeds.

All true. But that vehicle is two years away (assuming they are accurate) and as a second car complementing my MX it looks good in its vapourware form. As far as charging, I imagine the landscape will be different in two years with the other automakers getting together to provide competition to the supercharging network. Then again most of my driving is under 300 km and level two chargers are abundant in interior BC so I can fill up overnight. I do not see them as a competitor to Tesla since the Tesla truck seems based on the semi platform, but rather as a complementary company. If they do pull it off, then great. If not then at most I lost a thousand dollars.

Keep in mind that with such a behemoth even a level 2 charger won't give you a full charge overnight... well, maybe if you only drive 300 km. I wouldn't rely too heavily on the non-Tesla charging network to be well built out in just two years. I saw a projection done by the auto industry and they show the non-Tesla networks reaching the current Tesla level in four or five years. So for the foreseeable future (assuming even four years is "foreseeable") Tesla will be the right company to buy electric cars from. In four years we will need to give it another look. Every car company and their cousin will be making an electric car by then. The public will be *much* more aware of them. Rather than a curiosity they will have become mainstream. I think the winners (which will take more than four years to determine) will be the ones who make the BEV experience as pain free as possible. It doesn't need to match exactly the ICE experience, but needs to minimize the new inconveniences as much as possible. Charging will be a main factor in that.

Nice thing about potential new vehicles is that they have absolutely no flaws...until people get them on the road and report.

I remember so many of my high performance ICE vehicles also suffering from drive line tramp getting off the line. Needed aftermarket traction bars or such to stop the wheel hop. Funneling all that torque through a front driveline is always going to be challenging. I remember driving a early Prius that would almost jerk the wheel out of my hands with scarry torque steer.

I had torque steer in a car I bought some 40 years ago. That is a geometry issue and the solution has been around for a long time. I'm very surprised it resurrected in a modern car.

I had torque steer in a car I bought some 40 years ago. That is a geometry issue and the solution has been around for a long time. I'm very surprised it resurrected in a modern car.

If you're referring the the front end judder on the X, it isn't really torque steer. It's more a problem of the driveshaft joint alignment at higher ride heights when faced with so much brutal instant torque. I'm not actually all that surprised to see this issue, considering both the vehicle weight and immense torque. There is a price to pay for supercar acceleration in a 2.5 tonne SUV!

I think the chances of a full refresh of the Model X in the next 12-18 months is unlikely due to workload of the already announced roadmap. I think there is a higher chance of an interior refresh though, as that should be able to be done with while keeping the main battery / drivetrain components the same.

My prediction is that they will want to come up with a minor price drop to account for the expiration of the tax credit. While I think a lot of people could absorb the additional 7.5K its still going to feel like a major price increase to many.

I think they will go to the single screen like the 3. Maybe 17" to keep it better than the 3. Personally I love the low dash and not having a screen in front of the wheel with the 3. I think that this is going to be a common design aesthetic of future Tesla vehicles. For all the people that thought the single screen and speedometer location in the 3 was going to be a problem, you don't really hear any complaints about it now. I find it way easier to read than the speedometers in other cars that I have driven recently.

While I'm interested in replacing our ICE SUV, I won't consider the X until they refresh the interior.

I think the chances of a full refresh of the Model X in the next 12-18 months is unlikely due to workload of the already announced roadmap. I think there is a higher chance of an interior refresh though, as that should be able to be done with while keeping the main battery / drivetrain components the same.

My prediction is that they will want to come up with a minor price drop to account for the expiration of the tax credit. While I think a lot of people could absorb the additional 7.5K its still going to feel like a major price increase to many.

I think they will go to the single screen like the 3. Maybe 17" to keep it better than the 3. Personally I love the low dash and not having a screen in front of the wheel with the 3. I think that this is going to be a common design aesthetic of future Tesla vehicles. For all the people that thought the single screen and speedometer location in the 3 was going to be a problem, you don't really hear any complaints about it now. I find it way easier to read than the speedometers in other cars that I have driven recently.

While I'm interested in replacing our ICE SUV, I won't consider the X until they refresh the interior.
The interior of the 3 was what drove me to purchase another X. Many X owners don't like the potential refresh of the S/X to look like the 3, considering it a major downgrade if it comes to pass. Look at the uproar in V9, forcing Tesla to bring back some aspects of V8.

The EV credit will still be there Jan 1, just halved to $3750. Tesla would decrease the price by $3750 if they want price parity, but honestly I doubt that would happen. Tesla's main production is M3 right now. The reduction in profits from people not buying the X due to the "increase" of $3750 won't matter so much to Tesla, just as the loss in # of orders due to the phaseout of unlimited supercharging means little to Tesla. They will have other levers to pull to sell more S/X for the foreseeable future.

The interior of the 3 was what drove me to purchase another X. Many X owners don't like the potential refresh of the S/X to look like the 3, considering it a major downgrade if it comes to pass. Look at the uproar in V9, forcing Tesla to bring back some aspects of V8.

The EV credit will still be there Jan 1, just halved to $3750. Tesla would decrease the price by $3750 if they want price parity, but honestly I doubt that would happen. Tesla's main production is M3 right now. The reduction in profits from people not buying the X due to the "increase" of $3750 won't matter so much to Tesla, just as the loss in # of orders due to the phaseout of unlimited supercharging means little to Tesla. They will have other levers to pull to sell more S/X for the foreseeable future.
To each their own of course.

I still think the S and X will go to a single screen interior in the next 18 months. We shall see.

Reactions: Nrazar and McKricas
The “single screen” X and S has been confirmed by leaks, though of course not by Tesla officially yet. It won’t truly be a single screen, as the X and S will both retain a small binnacle (aka instrument cluster) but it will be smaller than today’s version.

Here’s the article from Electrek: https://electrek.co/2018/07/30/tesla-model-s-x-interior-refresh-q3-2019

And with the binnacle rendering: https://electrek.co/2018/07/30/tesla-model-s-x-interior-refresh-exclusive-first-look/

Should be Q3 2019 per the info they received.

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
I love the minimalist look and am pretty happy with the leaked refresh interior but what I really care about are range and 0 to 60 which is why I am super excited about the roadster. I love my 2018 S P100D - supercar smok’n kid hauler - but the new roadster will be even more awesome: talked my brother into getting one too.

The “single screen” X and S has been confirmed by leaks, though of course not by Tesla officially yet. It won’t truly be a single screen, as the X and S will both retain a small binnacle (aka instrument cluster) but it will be smaller than today’s version.

Here’s the article from Electrek: https://electrek.co/2018/07/30/tesla-model-s-x-interior-refresh-q3-2019

And with the binnacle rendering: Exclusive first look at Tesla Model S and Model X interior refresh: going spartan like Model 3

Should be Q3 2019 per the info they received.

I think it looks good and makes a lot of sense to bring the M3 interior design philosophy into the S/X. Use of premium materials should help to differentiate if done properly. But regardless of the trimmings S and X will continue to differentiate against M3 in their overall size and space as we see with other premium brand model line-ups. For example the quality of a BMW 3 series interior is much the same as you see in a 5 series and there is a fair bit of overlap depending on model spec and options. It's the same story with Porsche comparing Macan vs Cayenne. So I don't think copying the M3 interior cheapens the S/X providing it's done well and with a few more bells and whistles.

Timescales touted in that article are roughly in line with my own thoughts, perhaps a year ahead of what I was thinking, but then I'm UK based so there will inevitably be some lag before RHD versions are rolled out. My X will be due for replacement in early 2022, so I'm hoping there will be an all-new Model X released at that point, but I'm still doubtful of that. I'm not sure this interior refresh will cut it for me at that point, but depends on what competition is out there by then. I certainly want to stay with Tesla if they keep on top of the game!

I have 6 Model Xes, including a P100D and a P3D.

I love driving the P3D, and would choose it everytime, despite being 6ft9in and 360lbs.

It's just the "next generation" in tech. I would be waiting for a Model X Refresh if I was to buy a new X. I prefer the 3 to the S also in all cases.
It's easy to tell a new buyer to wait 2-3 years for a Model X when you already own 6 of them :rolleyes: