Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NFC chip for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

martinot

Active Driver
Oct 21, 2020
Sweden
Is it possible to source the NFC chips used in the black Tesla key cards?

Would like to make a reservbackup for unlocking the car if my phone dies. Ultimately I would love to have something integrated into my Apple Watch armband.

Would like to make a reservbackup for unlocking the car if my phone dies. Ultimately I would love to have something integrated into my Apple Watch armband.

some people have melted the official key card to get the chip out and make rings etc. I believe there's a thread out there about a paid service

It would be great if we could get a generic wearable NFC or BT device b/c everything gets the "Tesla tax" otherwise

some people have melted the official key card to get the chip out and make rings etc. I believe there's a thread out there about a paid service

It would be great if we could get a generic wearable NFC or BT device b/c everything gets the "Tesla tax" otherwise

The tesla keycard is $25... that is the cheapest official key of any car I have ever seen:

Tesla | Shop Search

Not sure many people would consider a $25 key being "tesla tax"

The tesla keycard is $25... that is the cheapest official key of any car I have ever seen:

Tesla | Shop Search

Not sure many people would consider a $25 key being "tesla tax"

I meant the rings and other 3rd party chip solutions. I've seen cheap NFC/BT type rings but don't believe they'll work with Tesla?

I'm in the same market as OP and would be happy with non apple watch solutions too. I believe my S3 frontier has NFC and BT but Tesla only works with phone BT? I agree that their screen programming to add keys is the best compared to my Highlander that needs dealer/locksmith intervention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty3SR+
I meant the rings and other 3rd party chip solutions. I've seen cheap NFC/BT type rings but don't believe they'll work with Tesla?

I'm in the same market as OP and would be happy with non apple watch solutions too. I believe my S3 frontier has NFC and BT but Tesla only works with phone BT? I agree that their screen programming to add keys is the best compared to my Highlander that needs dealer/locksmith intervention.

Oh yeah for sure. I get you now, and totally agree that many third party solutions include a "tesla tax" (or in regular terms, an upcharge because the person selling the item feels that tesla owners have tons of money so can afford it).

Reactions: Phlier and vickh

When the "ring" solutions started appearing, I was thinking about an AppleWatch wrist strap as well, but it seems the chip and its antenna needs to be placed just so. I'm not so sure, embedding the chip and antenna in the wrist strap will work reliably. Even the "ring" solutions can be finicky. Cnick is one of the first rings I read about. The rings are about $100+, which includes the cost of the $25 keycard.

If you have an AppleWatch with cellular, you can just get a 3rd-party app that will allow you to unlock and drive your "3". It's not instant, but it works if you have a cell connection. EV Watch, WatchforTesla, Stats, AutoMate, lots of 3rd party apps, some cheap as $1 and some expensive.

• Helpful
Reactions: martinot
When the "ring" solutions started appearing, I was thinking about an AppleWatch wrist strap as well, but it seems the chip and its antenna needs to be placed just so. I'm not so sure, embedding the chip and antenna in the wrist strap will work reliably. Even the "ring" solutions can be finicky. Cnick is one of the first rings I read about. The rings are about $100+, which includes the cost of the $25 keycard.

If you have an AppleWatch with cellular, you can just get a 3rd-party app that will allow you to unlock and drive your "3". It's not instant, but it works if you have a cell connection. EV Watch, WatchforTesla, Stats, AutoMate, lots of 3rd party apps, some cheap as $1 and some expensive.

do any of the apps work with BT/NFC?

But phone key works without cellular, just BT? Why not a BT watch? Just curious why

I believe the phone works with low emissions bluetooth, and also in conjunction with the official tesla app to authenticate. Since tesla does not offer the tesla app on a watch, there is no current way for a smart watch to authenticate with the tesla app and low emissions bluetooth. If tesla decided to ever offer the official tesla app on a watch, or enable some other authentication method on the watch, then it would work without a cellular connection.

Until that time, a person would need to do a work around by either taking the chips out of an official keycard and building something (which many have done) or use the equivalent of the "remote unlock from the app" feature that many third party apps are using to unlock the door, but that requires both devices have an access to the cellular connection.

I believe the phone works with low emissions bluetooth, and also in conjunction with the official tesla app to authenticate. Since tesla does not offer the tesla app on a watch, there is no current way for a smart watch to authenticate with the tesla app and low emissions bluetooth. If tesla decided to ever offer the official tesla app on a watch, or enable some other authentication method on the watch, then it would work without a cellular connection.

Until that time, a person would need to do a work around by either taking the chips out of an official keycard and building something (which many have done) or use the equivalent of the "remote unlock from the app" feature that many third party apps are using to unlock the door, but that requires both devices have an access to the cellular connection.

thanks that explains it! \

I will try out the RFID official keycard to ring solution. I lost my wedding ring so this might make the wife happy too.
Any good links? It's okay if I have to touch the ring to car, by the pillar camera apparently is the best place

thanks that explains it! \

I will try out the RFID official keycard to ring solution. I lost my wedding ring so this might make the wife happy too.
Any good links? It's okay if I have to touch the ring to car, by the pillar camera apparently is the best place

I have never looked into it myself (if the question was for me), because it (the "making a ring out of a keycard chip thing) was never something I was interested in. My phone works for me, and although I have an apple watch, I have not missed not having a way to open the car with my watch.

I know there are solutions but havent investigated it myself, sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh