Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHRA / IHRA rules for Plaid/Plaid+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automotive media company I work with reached out to the NHRA about this. They replied with..."no announcement has been made from the NHRA. We will make an announcement if/when it is needed due to a change".

Hopefully this happens soon...then put it to 8s for the Roadster.
They stated it verbally at the PRI.

But correct, there is no formal announcement on the website yet.

NHRA Rules update - 9s and up to 150 trap ok!

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
NHRA Rules update - 9s and up to 150 trap ok!

“An NHRA Level 6 license is required for drivers running quicker than 10.00 (*6.39) or faster than 135 mph.”

Anyone encountered enforcement of this?

I’ve seen YouTube videos of someone in Plaid getting a finger wag and told “dont do it again” and lifting at end to stay just over 10.0 sec and under 150
It is supposedly in effect. I'll check with our local track. 2014 and up (no alterations to OEM safety equipment) should be able to run with an NHRA Sportsman Competition License Level 6 and the required SFI Approved Uniform without roll bar, although I'm not sure about the parachute requirement (150MPH+) . This change is one of the main reasons for me to place and order for a Plaid as it is pointless to have a 1000+ hp car just to cruise down the street. I plan to run it 1/2 mile, Roll and 1/4 regularly.

Reactions: gnxs
There are two different things: what the rules technically say, and what is actually enforced at the tracks.

It seems that the license is not enforced (I’ve never heard of it being enforced) and also the uniform requirement can likely be satisfied with just a jacket. I’ve never seen the pants or gloves or neck band or shoes be enforced on street cars even though the Plaid guy seems fully decked out.

It seems that they are now allowing faster cars to run at the strip, if they are being run by experienced drivers.
Even if the car is now qualified, they want the drivers to prove capability and have proper personal protection.

If anyone here ACTUALLY sees these rule changes in an NHRA rule book, would you PLEASE post on here where (as in what pages or headings) that you have found this information. If a track manager hears of the changes, often times he/she will want to see these changes in writing. Hopefully, we can all benefit from this.

Reactions: bhzmark
If anyone here ACTUALLY sees these rule changes in an NHRA rule book, would you PLEASE post on here where (as in what pages or headings) that you have found this information. If a track manager hears of the changes, often times he/she will want to see these changes in writing. Hopefully, we can all benefit from this.
I just found it on the nhraracer site.

• Informative
I got a boosted Mustang running 9's since last year so I already got the roll bar and safety equipment . In order to remove those 60 pounds of steel pipes, the instruction from my local NHRA track is to get the license. So they in fact will allow the new rules.
Now I'm just missing the Plaid. 🤣