Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Night time rear view vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly on the UK spec, the night time rear view vision is pretty dire.

Saturday night, I was on a farm doing a 3 pointer and this eerie figure of a tractor and scoop slowly started appearing out of the rear view camera. But not a sign of it through the rear view mirrors even though I was pretty close as the sensors were picking something out - wasn't convinced how accurate though.

Which got me thinking. What, as does happen occasionally, would have happened if rear view camera was thoroughly impaired or worse, malfunctioning.

I know the reversing light is an afterthought, but I was wondering about the functionality of the rear view mirrors. Doesn't help that auto tilt probably didn't help. But there was absolutely nothing I could see out of them. Surely the auto tint could not have been on could it? You know, pitch blank, in reverse, car thinks you might be blinded by something you are about to reverse into, to it tints the mirrors. Surely not?

Anyone got some work arounds. There are some third party wide angled mirrors that lose the tint function. But just want to know if its auto tint that is making matters worse.

Yeah I'm not sure about the auto tint on the side mirrors, haven't checked yet if there's an "off switch" for them. I don't use the tilt function, have never liked that on any car.
There isn’t an off switch (yet - it’s been earmarked for future firmware apparently). However, you can unplug the wire as detailed below. Not ideal, but an option if it’s that annoying..

Ok, removing the mirror was easier than expected. Just tilt the mirror into the car and pull on the outer side. It pops right off.

From there, I just what @Daniel in SD showed in his picture. There are 2 other plugs which I assume are for the heating/defrosting element. And lo and behold, no more dimming of the side mirrors! In all my years of driving, I never once thought to myself "oh, a car's headlight is blinding me from the side mirrors, I wish it dimmed." If/when Tesla implements dimming controls, I'll replug it back in. I did make sure to wrap it tight with electrical tape just incase water somehow gets in there.

sJD8wjc.jpg

Hi Folks,

I was able to remove diming in all 3 mirrors

For rear view mirror, remove the trim piece, then just unplug the one wire going into the rear view (very easily reverse-able):

For side view mirrors, pop the mirror cap off as shown here (remember to turn off the auto fold function):

You will see several wire bundles going into the back of the mirror. 1 fat one controls the mirror tilt. 1 plugs in for folding. 1-2 run to the antennas (pretty cool they are in the mirrors)

*Which leaves 2 skinnier bundles of wire that appear to be wrapped with electrical tape. You'll need to cut back the "electrical tape sheathing" without severing or stripping the wires

Here's my video:
**If you find a red and green striped bundle, you hit the jackpot. Cut one of them and you are good to rewrap and close up. If you find two black wires those control the defrost function. Do not cut those or you will join me in the cold mirror experimental club until you solder them back.

I'l recommend a $10 set of these tools to keep your plastic looking good: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8GHB7O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I agree rear vision is bad. I realised that the first time I drove one 2 years ago in the States, I hoped they would fit wider angle door mirrors before we got them, but no go. I know about the Sumo mirrors (wider view, no tint option) but I've held off so far.

If there's a software option to turn off dimming in the future then that will probably be OK for me. The answer right now is to keep the camera clear and use that. The reversing light is actually quite bright but it's not much help when the mirrors dim!

Agree the nigh-time visibility is terrible out the back: when in traffic at night I have trouble spotting if there's a car behind me as their headlights are well below the boot line. Sometimes the only clue is a flash in the wing mirrors as I catch their lights when I turn a corner or the driver's silhouette in the headlights of the car behind the car behind me. Maybe I have my seat too low down?

Also, for reversing the wing mirrors are pretty much useless without extra illumination. The camera's OK but I'm not yet trusting it's guide lines that the rear arches will fit into my garage as I turn in without also checking the wing mirrors.

Reactions: MrBadger
There are some WiFi and Bluetooth antennas in the side mirrors AFAIK, if that’s what you mean

Yes, but these are in the left (UK passenger) side. Most people say the wifi is on the right (UK drivers) side. So if that is wifi antenna in those shows, and equally applied to rhd cars, then that would match my limited experience that I get better access to my WAP on rhs of car if I am slightly angled to the right. Also looks like auto fold won't be helping either. But I get adequate wifi as is so I'm ok with that.

Also, for reversing the wing mirrors are pretty much useless without extra illumination. The camera's OK but I'm not yet trusting it's guide lines that the rear arches will fit into my garage as I turn in without also checking the wing mirrors.

I am surprised how much trust I put in the rear camera - I didn't think I would like it, but I guess rear view is so bad, I had to get use to it. Wife still prefers the mirrors though. Which is the concern that I have become so reliant on a decent rear camera view.

As to the turn lines. On our car, they seem a pretty decent guide to where the outside of the wheels are - remembering to add quite a distance for the extra width of the bodywork. Yesterday I reversed into an end of row SC space and when I got out I was quite chuffed how straight I was and close (maybe 3") up to the kerb. I take the view that as long as white line does not touch kerb, I should be OK.

Obviously not a garage. With my own car, I drive it on, stop, leave handbrake off, then hand push it last few inches - obviously not an option on Model 3 but I guess summon would be the equivalent. I have a nice little parking chock that coincidentally, is correct distance when placed behind rear wheel that it clears the garage door. That works well as long as someone else doesn't try and copy and push the wrong/less solid bit of the car.

I think with some experience, I will turn off the auto tilt function. I thought that it would be useful, but I think it just adds to the problem. Never quite sure if I can't see anything because mirror is pointing down, or its darkened.

I've had my Model 3 since August and the wipers have been in use every day it seems.
When was it not wet?

Because the camera is under the lip of the boot it doesn't immediately get obscured with the rain ... though it does accumulate wet grim that's thrown up behind the car. If I remember I give the rear camera lens quick wipe each day and it's then usually not bad.

Vision is pretty brual at night. I'd like ot see an option ot turn off auto dimming to se if that helps. The camera is a major help for sure on the M3 as it would be pretty dire at night without it.

I've been in a habit of giving cameras a quick wipe on my last few cars every other day as I pass the boot so usually a good view on it.

I'd like ot see an option ot turn off auto dimming to se if that helps.

So am I not alone in thinking that the rear view mirrors remain dimmed/tinted in reverse?

That sounds quite an oversight to me? Select, well, anything other than drive, rear view mirrors should not dim? Or just an option to turn it off although rather not at its useful when driving forward.

Someone told me one of my reversing lights is out today...obviously being the driver I’ve not seen them before. Is there supposed to be two reversing lights or are they correct in stating one was out (only had the car a few weeks so pretty shocked if one is)

So am I not alone in thinking that the rear view mirrors remain dimmed/tinted in reverse?

That sounds quite an oversight to me? Select, well, anything other than drive, rear view mirrors should not dim? Or just an option to turn it off although rather not at its useful when driving forward.

I'm convinced they remain dimmed in reverse. An option to turn off in reverse would do the trick nicely.

Someone told me one of my reversing lights is out today...obviously being the driver I’ve not seen them before. Is there supposed to be two reversing lights or are they correct in stating one was out (only had the car a few weeks so pretty shocked if one is)

There is only 1 reverse light on UK specced cars so nothing to worry about. The other is used as a fog light.

Reactions: im85288