Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nightmare - Model 3 died on the way back home need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my delivery scheduled for wed 21st 5:30 at the Paramus Tesla center in NJ.
The delivery went smooth and I was out of there in 1 hr or so.
I’m driving back hone and get a notification saying can’t hold charge to pull over safely.
The car then dies on me on the highway and had to wait for almost 3 hrs for a tow truck to come pick me up.
Thursday being thanksgiving I can’t get any answers and I wait patiently till Friday.
I call on Friday and they can’t first locate my car for the first 4 hrs or so.
I then had to call multiple times and wait in the center for 2 hrs to get a rental.
They promise me it will looked at on Saturday.
It’s Monday now and still no news and they keep telling me we will let you know soon.

What do I do , who should I call
... any help would be greatly appreciated

Of all the things that could go wrong never expected a brand new car to die on me within an hour of picking it up

Major glitch for sure. It's hard to be patient when your dream car is picked up. But whatever is wrong with the car needs to be fixed properly so give it the time it needs to get done right. The holidays just slow things down even more. You will be happy with your car once it is fixed. It is really fun to drive. It's hard for me to want to drive anything else, it's so automated!

Reactions: Darren Donovan
It sucks but no need to panic just yet. Give it time as @SteveD mentioned.
Just call and once you get a hold of a service adviser, take note his name and direct contact, email/phone and follow up with him or her once a day. That way you hold that one person accountable and they will be driven to make it right.

Good luck!

They give up to 3 days to return the car if you never test drove and one day if you did.
Return Policy

If he returns the car now they will treat it as a new order when he puts in for another one (assuming he does). Even if he gets a priority slot he might not get his car before the end of the year and could lose 1/2 the tax credit.

If they don't think they can have the car fixed in a few days then yeah, I'd probably be after them for a new one too but only if I got an assurance that it would be delivered before year's end and that if it was later than that Tesla would eat the tax credit.

Is it a RWD or AWD?

Did you work with a sales guy? Call him and tell you the situation and ask if there are any unassigned cars which in NJ area seems to be quite common.

HOWEVER, the return process cold take a longer than desired and will be a headache getting your funds back, downpayment, working another loan out etc. I submitted for a return on my MR order $1k and $2.5k over a week ago. Nothing yet and I called Tesla customer service yesterday. "They'll get to it when they can they are swamped with orders, cancellation, edits, etc."

Major glitch for sure. It's hard to be patient when your dream car is picked up. But whatever is wrong with the car needs to be fixed properly so give it the time it needs to get done right. The holidays just slow things down even more. You will be happy with your car once it is fixed. It is really fun to drive. It's hard for me to want to drive anything else, it's so automated!

Gave me a chuckle reading the last 3 sentences. Pretty soon, it'll be "hard for me to want to be chauffered in anything else". Is it "fun" if it's "automated"? .Lol.

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
My experience with service/failures is that they will treat you right, more so if you are polite, friendly and insistent if they don't do something to show good will.

The first 2 are big time important IMHO cause the service folks are the first line of contact up the chain.. They better give you a nice loaner!

Good luck