Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nikola Tesla on women

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know where the appropriate place to post this is, but I've just finished reading John J. O"Neill's biography of Nikola Tesla, Prodigal Genius: The Life of Nikola Tesla. Tesla was an extraordinary man and mind in so many ways, but as a number of comments on this site have been, shall we say, less favorable to women, I thought our women readers would appreciate this comment, which is a direct quote from Tesla:

The struggle of the human female toward sex equality will end up in a new sex order, with the females superior. The modern woman, who anticipates in merely superficial phenomenon the advancement of her sex, is but a surface symptom of something deeper and more potent fomenting in the bosom of the race.

It is not in the shallow physical imitation of the men that women will assert first their equality and later their superiority, but in the awakening of the intellect of women.

But the female mind has demonstrated a capacity for all the mental acquirements and achievements of men, and as generations ensue that capacity will be expanded; the average woman will be as well educated as the average man, and then better educated, for the dormant faculties of her brain will be into an activity that will be all the more intense because of centuries of repose.

Women will ignore precedent and startle civilization with their progress.

Tesla then went into his rant about bees, but one has to say that this was a very progressive view for his time, or perhaps even our time.

Prophetic for sure. The majority of college enrollments is now women and the same will soon be true in graduate and professional schools.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Prodigal Genius. O'Neill knew Tesla quite well and was one of the few people who to whom he opened up. It was written in 1944 shortly after Tesla's death.

Do you have a date for this?

Tesla's views on women (the only time they were expressed) were published in Colliers in 1924 in an interview conducted by John B. Kennedy. This is an excerpt from that interview.

He thought his mother was a creative genius, but he very deliberately denied himself any serious relationships with women so he could totally devote himself to science.

Thanks for sharing this, artsci. You're right - car forums are not always welcoming for women. The majority of my career has been spent working in predominantly male environments, so I tend not to let the negative comments bother me (but okay, they do amuse me - and each one tells me a little bit about the person making the comment).

But as we have more and more women on the site, it's important that everyone feel welcome. Everyone has something to contribute to the conversation.

This was thoughtful of you to share. Thank you. :)