Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NIO stock thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, NIO, having sold just 460 cars, is immensely overvalued at its current Market Cap of $10.15B.
Valuing NIO at just less than 1/4 of TSLA with 250,000 deliveries of high end luxury EVs in 2018 and expected >400,000 deliveries in 2019.
NIO is riding on the coat tales of Tesla, has no new technology, no battery plant, no charging infrastructure and I could go on and on.
I'm all for new EV players and I wish NIO and their investors all the best, however would not touch this stock over a dollar. I give NIO ten years to grow into its current valuation.
Sorry, my money and heart is with Tesla.

Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 6.53.48 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
I agree that NIO has a very rich valuation compared to TSLA, and I strongly feel that TSLA is a better buy right now. At the same time, NIO has plenty of potential and respectable backers, and I recall that TSLA rose to very rich levels in 2013/2014 after shipping a relatively small number of cars. Having a small position in NIO, and a much larger position in TSLA, seems reasonable at this time. That said, if NIO spikes above maybe $20/share in the coming months, then I might just cash out. More likely, if it putters along at $5-10/share for the next few years, I can live with that, too. We'll see.
IMHO, NIO, having sold just 460 cars, is immensely overvalued at its current Market Cap of $10.15B.
Valuing NIO at just less than 1/4 of TSLA with 250,000 deliveries of high end luxury EVs in 2018 and expected >400,000 deliveries in 2019.
NIO is riding on the coat tales of Tesla, has no new technology, no battery plant, no charging infrastructure and I could go on and on.
I'm all for new EV players and I wish NIO and their investors all the best, however would not touch this stock over a dollar. I give NIO ten years to grow into its current valuation.
Sorry, my money and heart is with Tesla.

I agree that NIO has a very rich valuation compared to TSLA, and I strongly feel that TSLA is a better buy right now. At the same time, NIO has plenty of potential and respectable backers, and I recall that TSLA rose to very rich levels in 2013/2014 after shipping a relatively small number of cars. Having a small position in NIO, and a much larger position in TSLA, seems reasonable at this time. That said, if NIO spikes above maybe $20/share in the coming months, then I might just cash out. More likely, if it putters along at $5-10/share for the next few years, I can live with that, too. We'll see.
oh it won't putter around in the 5-10$ share price for the next two years, we will definitely get sizable break outs, 15, 18$, 20$. Its only a question of when to sell and when to re-load. the options for those choices will be many and frequent.

Reactions: gene
I don't know what model you're using, but at 20$ a share they will be valued closer to 20 Billion, not 2B (it's current market cap is 10B today)... at that point it will be WAY over valued in the short term.

I'm still holding 50% of my position from gosh, was it Wednesday (5.75 entry) having sold at 11$. If we get to 15% I'm trimming all but a tad.

pigs get slaughtered

cashed out this morning based on the realization that I bought in on bad math. Besides, I was lucky enough to still have a profit, so will see.

Been waffling on exiting as well. I wish I had been up and paying attention in time to cash out at the peak, then perhaps buy back in lower and then hold from there. If it goes to zero it's no harm done, even at 100 shares that's money I can afford to lose. I just wish I had 100 TSLA ...

It keeps going on a slow decline, and since I don't really know anything about NIO I decided to go ahead and exit for now. Only ~22% gain since I didn't exit sooner. Actually had to lower the sell order price a couple of times since it was still sliding down as I was trying to sell. Still, not a loss, could be worse.

with the current sales volume I'm not interested until the price is about half what it is today, but if the quarterly sales shows some improvements, I'll start to get interested in purchasing. I guess I'm not willing to gamble just yet until I see some more details about where they are and where they are headed with their products. I'm very interested in any new company information that gets shared in this thread.

• Helpful
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I was thinking of getting back in but didn't do so before it took off. Oh well. At least I made a few hundred bucks off the IPO :D

I don't have enough confidence (both due to lack of ignorance of the company and some worrying rumors) to invest after it's already gone up again.