Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Ariya SUV answer to Tesla Model Y and Ford Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
This appears to be more of a concept. They are advertising it at airports (pict below). No doubt they've learned the benefits of a proper TMS design as well by now.

Nissan page: https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/future-concept/ariya-concept-electric-suv.html

Ariya forum: Nissan Ariya Forum

FtTLnhi.jpg

Yes, like all the concept EVs that we've been flooded with over the past few years, this is certainly "the future of driving." Perhaps even a hypothetical future.

I really wish for someone to have documented every concept EV announced over the past five years or so and kept track of how many of them have actually materialized. It's dizzying how quick manufacturers are these days to whip up a rendering and a power point and act like they've achieved something.

Reactions: richyrich
Yes, like all the concept EVs that we've been flooded with over the past few years, this is certainly "the future of driving." Perhaps even a hypothetical future.

I really wish for someone to have documented every concept EV announced over the past five years or so and kept track of how many of them have actually materialized. It's dizzying how quick manufacturers are these days to whip up a rendering and a power point and act like they've achieved something.
Maybe I don't pay that much attention but do they typically advertise concepts. Also various car mag think this is real.

Forum thread: 2021 Nissan Ariya Release Date

Quote:
There's no official release date for the Ariya so far. But from what I've been able to read so far, it seems like we should expect to see it in early 2021, 2022 at the latest.

Carwow says that "The Nissan Ariya Concept electric SUV might not be in the showrooms just yet, but the depth of detail provided by Nissan suggests the car is likely to go on sale relatively soon – by 2021 at the latest."

Whatcar says that "The Ariya is expected to go on sale in early 2021"

Driving.ca wrote "I’d be very surprised if you could not buy something very much like the Ariya by 2022."

Car and Driver is a bit more specific writing that they think it could go on sale in the US in 2021 after debuting at the Tokyo Auto Show. "We expect the Ariya to go to market in the U.S. as soon as next year as a 2021 model after making its debut at the Tokyo auto show."

This appears to be more of a concept.
They are advertising it at airports (pict below).
No doubt they've learned the benefits of a proper TMS design as well by now.
Nissan page: Nissan Ariya Concept Electric SUV | Nissan USA
Ariya forum: Nissan Ariya Forum
I cannot find any specification from Nissan.
Searching the Ariya forum, I just find "Could deliver up to 300 miles of driving range."
No information about charging time, or use of CHAdeMO or CCS?
I wonder about the battery capacity and if the battery will get liquid cooled?

Reactions: scottf200
I cannot find any specification from Nissan.
Searching the Ariya forum, I just find "Could deliver up to 300 miles of driving range."
No information about charging time, or use of CHAdeMO or CCS?
I wonder about the battery capacity and if the battery will get liquid cooled?

You would think Nissan would have learned about necessity of having a good Thermal Management System. But who knows, they have not added one to the Leaf, even after cases like this.

Ariya event over:
The New Nissan ARIYA Electric Crossover Reveal

Some highlights at Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020 - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Yes, water cooling of battery was mentioned. A big shocker to me was CCS for North America! (They're still using CHAdeMO for Japanese versions.)

Cheerio, CHAdeMO: Nissan adopts CCS fast-charging with new Ariya electric SUV

BTW, besides the above car in Thailand, there's a guy in Los Angeles w/a 3 bar Leaf (yes, 9 capacity bars gone). I've pointed to him at Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs - Page 801 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. It's a private FB group that the guy posted at though...

Ariya event over:
The New Nissan ARIYA Electric Crossover Reveal

Some highlights at Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020 - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Yes, water cooling of battery was mentioned. A big shocker to me was CCS for North America! (They're still using CHAdeMO for Japanese versions.)

Cheerio, CHAdeMO: Nissan adopts CCS fast-charging with new Ariya electric SUV

BTW, besides the above car in Thailand, there's a guy in Los Angeles w/a 3 bar Leaf (yes, 9 capacity bars gone). I've pointed to him at Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs - Page 801 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. It's a private FB group that the guy posted at though...
So I'm hoping all the chademo chargers will be replaced with tesla connectors

Nissan Reveals Ariya Electric Crossover: 300 Mile Range, $40,000 Base Price

Nissan Reveals Ariya Electric Crossover: 300 Mile Range, $40,000 Base Price

CCS and "...liquid thermal management system..."

specs-1-jpg.170772

Charging
Nissan's departure from CHAdeMO to CCS with the Ariya should strike a deathblow to CHAdeMO in the US and Europe <snip>

Thermal Management
With a decision that will make most Nissan fans exhale in relief, yes the Ariya will have a proper thermal management system. We don't know too many details about it but we were told it will be a proper liquid thermal management system. <snip>

Battery
Looking at the spec sheet we can see the gross capacity of the two battery sizes available are 65 kWh and 90 kWh. On those packs, Nissan is opening up 63 kWh and 87 kWh, respectively, to be accessed for use. That's an extremely high percentage of the pack compared to most competitors. We wonder if Nissan will allow owners to set a charge limit so charging can shut off below 100% for daily charging.

The 90 kWh battery pack is expected to deliver 300 miles of driving range. We'd expect the 65 kWh standard pack to return roughly 225 miles of range, based on Nissan's 300-mile estimate for the larger pack.

We also learned that Nissan will be sourcing their battery cells from Chinese battery giant CATL,<snip>

Totally agree. Automakers like VW have it down to an art now - if you went back and looked at their annual reports and various statements there should be multiple EV models in every showroom and they should be "dominating" EVs by now. In reality we have the e-Golf, and most dealers don't even have one. The ID.3 has massive issues and is late but somehow that gets little mention vs the doom-and-gloom the minute Tesla has any kind of production wobble or delay? It seems like only Tesla are held to account (constantly) for their timelines and actual production while the companies that spend on advertising get a free pass and promotion of their greenwashing. It's pretty messed up.

Tesla has sold more than 200k MY just in North America.

Nissan is still figuring out how to deliver their first Ariya. :oops: After the Leaf you would have thought Nissan must know how to build EVs. These OEMs are looking more and more like plodding dinosaurs (not the "competition").