Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan launches hands-off ProPilot 2.0 On-Ramp to Off-Ramp (Rivals Navigate on Autopilot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two questions with regard to MobileEye and HD maps in general. First, I haven't driven ProPilot 2yet but have driven ProPilot several times, mostly on highway. I can't imagine this software is better than Tesla AP2 - ProPilot is slow to engage, and always run over the lines in tricky situations. Is this because the version is old so can't be compared?

Second, we have a lot of multi layered roads - for example, rainbow bridge has free bridge and toll bridge, each four lanes. In Yamamoto street, there are long overpasses and underground highways.
Does HD maps generally have altitude data so it can make use of landmark or localization features in such sections of the road? I think the car also needs to have an altitude sensor to correctly detect which level the car is driving on. I know Tesla doesn't use Z axis in autopilot maps (so it works poorly in those sections of roads).

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
I have two questions with regard to MobileEye and HD maps in general. First, I haven't driven ProPilot 2yet but have driven ProPilot several times, mostly on highway. I can't imagine this software is better than Tesla AP2 - ProPilot is slow to engage, and always run over the lines in tricky situations. Is this because the version is old so can't be compared?

Second, we have a lot of multi layered roads - for example, rainbow bridge has free bridge and toll bridge, each four lanes. In Yamamoto street, there are long overpasses and underground highways.
Does HD maps generally have altitude data so it can make use of landmark or localization features in such sections of the road? I think the car also needs to have an altitude sensor to correctly detect which level the car is driving on. I know Tesla doesn't use Z axis in autopilot maps (so it works poorly in those sections of roads).

Propilot 1 is made by a tier 1 supplier not Nissan, using a last gen Mobileye chip (why also not using it anywhere close to its full potential).

Propilot 2 is completely different as it is in-house and developed by Nissan, using Mobileye's latest EyeQ4 chip and HD Map.

From a long official presentation in Japanese, with ENG autosubs

1. Pro-Pilot 2 does actually use LiDAR in the same way as SuperCruise, in advance to map out in hi-def 3D the 14,000 miles of the whole Japanese highway network where it can be used initially. (not sure if it will expand to other road types)

2. Regular map updates will be provided OTA automatically several times per year.

3. Their sensor suite is similar to Tesla's, namely no on-board LiDAR, just a forward trifocal camera & long-range radar, plus four corner mid-range radars, then ultrasonics and parking cameras, and it uses MobilEye's EyeQ4 SoC.

4. It looks like it should be a robust and reliable Nav-on-AP style system with advanced features, e.g. even if the lane lines are worn out/obscured the car will locate itself (to within 5cm accuracy in the lateral direction and less than 1m in the longitudinal direction) on the 3D map using visual recognition of landmarks to stay in the lane; system automatically adjusts speed to legal limits stored in maps but also has camera recognition of temporary limits and gives them priority; collision avoidance system includes pedestrian recognition; driving style is claimed to be smooth like an experienced human.

5. The initial slow rollout in Japan will expand to 20 models internationally within 4 years.

6. Obviously it will still be a L2 ADAS system and whether it will from high speed brake to a safe stop for stationary obstacles in its path remains to be seen, but I am going to guess that it will do so, as the forward radar used is claimed to be the latest in high-resolution.

7. If all this transpires as true then PP2 will be considerably better than both AP and SuperCruise in their current incarnations, though by the time it becomes widely available they will also presumably be advanced to the next generation.

Lane changing demo. Hands on wheel required for the change, presumably to make sure you are paying attention. Then back to hands off.

Commercial for the new feature on the Skyline:

• Informative
Reactions: Inside