Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf Breaks Electric Car Convoy Record With 225 Cars, let's do it with our S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I am not as observant as I appear! I see the countdown in the upper right hand corner of this site and if you click the TESLIVE icon it take you to the TESLIVE threads. So June 13, that's on a Thursday and although it's not a weekend, it's still an event sure to bring a good number of Model S'

I'm game!

I think it's Sat July 13th.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope we break it on June 8th for this event:

http://www.esion.com/Files/Mt_Evans_Road_Rally.pdf

Disclaimer: I am the event organizer, so I have a vested interest in promoting it. We have RSVPs from as far as 3 States away, so bring it on folks.

well then we should do the Bay Area one after that, since I think we'll get more Bay Area folks than you will, and it would be nice to break the record twice. :)

I'm in for this drive on July 14th (Bastille Day) assuming I have enough charge. I'll need about 150 miles to get home after the Teslive conference. Anyone know how long the drive will be and about when it will be over? I like the idea of the approximately 43 mile drive clockwise from the factory, down to San Jose to the 101, back up 101 and across the Dumbarton Bridge back to the factory. There should be good places for TV cameras to view 250+ Model S driving across the bridge. Maybe they would use a helicopter to get the best shots of the whole caravan.

Last edited:
I drove my Leaf in the Silverstone World Record EV convoy. It was tricky enough, because the number of cars plus the gaps meant that our EV crocodile was as long as the entire Silverstone racing track! Oh, and because it was England, it was bucketing down with rain. One thing that would have helped, is an FM radio broadcast that everyone could have listened to throughout, for marshaling and to keep us inspired/entertained.

1-20121124.150525.jpg

Still, it's the only world record I've ever broken and it was a great day out. Good luck with your Tesla recreation ...

Eugene

Superchargers could help with this. just wait until they are i place then seclude an event 6 months in advance and have all model S across the nation come.

You could do it at Teslive.

I think it would be hard to incorporate the superchargers into this sort of event because as awesome as they are, they still require 30 to 60 minutes to charge a car from close to empty, and if there are multiple cars at one installation, the available charge is shared, making the time even longer. With more than 200 cars, the task of timing and coordinating the charging routine would be pretty tough. If at some point Tesla had several dozen chargers in one location for some reason with sufficient power supply (e.g. from a nearby mid-sized gas turbine power plant) to allow them all to function at full power simultaneously, this might be possible, but I would expect this would not be a high priority for the supercharger build-out. They need to get full coverage of the major highways in North America for installations of 4 to 6 superchargers before anything like this would be possible.