Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Options are good

Has it been confirmed the batteries will have to be leased and there isn't another option? The press releases don't mention this, but there are some quotes from spokespeople. I would prefer the non-lease option. If the batteries are lease only, then I'm not sure I want this car. I suppose it helps reduce sticker shock (maybe that's what they meant when they said "affordable"), but then you are still tied to the manufacturer.

Ideally, all of these would be financing options: 1) lease the whole car, 2) "buy" car and lease batteries, 3) buy car and batteries. An additional option would be tied in with a PBP plan.

It will be interesting to see how this fits with Better Place. Will they offer two versions? A generic "charge at any J1772" version and a different "only charge at Better Place" stations version at a lower initial cost?

They do seem to be using the Better Place model of "the battery pack is a consumable" comparing the battery pack to gasoline rather than to a tank.
If you look at it that way and compare the pack lease cost to the monthly price you would pay for gasoline it does make some sense.

It's not a gas pump - it has a plug not a nozzle, so it must be a representation of the big fast charger.

Yes, you are correct ... on second look: a two-pronged plug pointing upwards, on a cable (?hose) extending from what (at a quick glance) looks like a gas pump station (how conditioned are our brains ??). I am sure a better symbol can be found, though ! ( A lightning bolt ? Just a cord with a plug at the end ? An electrical receptacle ?? )

It will be interesting to see how this fits with Better Place. Will they offer two versions? A generic "charge at any J1772" version and a different "only charge at Better Place" stations version at a lower initial cost?
Interesting for sure. They could accommodate both charging models with one physical design, for example, by designing all LEAFs to have swappable battery packs. This way, LEAFs with PBP-owned packs can swap them at stations or charge at home or public stations (will PBP reimburse customer at a "market" rate then?). LEAFs with customer-owned packs can charge at home or public J1772 charge stations. PBP could even install J1772 stations themselves and charge those non-PBP owners a premium for a charge-up.

nissan-leaf_hi_021.jpg

nissan-leaf_hi_026.jpg
nissan-leaf_hi_025.jpg
nissan-leaf_hi_028.jpg

Nissan Leaf — Autoblog

Last edited:
What happens if you plug in quick charge and standard charge cables at the same time? (Someone is bound to try it!)

Interesting for sure. They could accommodate both charging models with one physical design, for example, by designing all LEAFs to have swappable battery packs. This way, LEAFs with PBP-owned packs can swap them at stations or charge at home or public stations (will PBP reimburse customer at a "market" rate then?). LEAFs with customer-owned packs can charge at home or public J1772 charge stations. PBP could even install J1772 stations themselves and charge those non-PBP owners a premium for a charge-up.

From what I have read, the "Leaf" will not offer pack swapping at all. So at least that part of Better Place's plan doesn't appear to be addressed by this particular vehicle.

What happens if you plug in quick charge and standard charge cables at the same time? (Someone is bound to try it!)

EVs are disabled on plug-in. I would think each plug would do that too. Unless they can take advantage of it! :tongue:

How about an old fashion mechanical solution with one sliding door which covers the unused socket when it is slid to reveal the one to be plugged.

So if you fail to make the payments on your leased battery pack do they send someone out to repossess the battery pack from your car? :eek:

Oh wait, with 3G internet car they probably just remotely change the password on your car until you start making payments again...:tongue:

Oh wait, with 3G internet car they probably just remotely change the password on your car until you start making payments again...

That's scary actually. Car loans generally come from third party finance companies. Would they have a copy of the code to every car? Or would they have to contact the maker?

With GPS On-Star, makers and dealers already can pinpoint a car -do they help cops find that car in child abduction cases? Do repo men have this info?

With the mysterious GPS in the Roadster can they find a stolen car?

OT!