Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NITTO MOTIVE - Longer Life & Lower Cost Alternative to Michelin MXM4 Tires?

Should Tesla Make Higher Quality Tires for Model 3?

• No - Keep Expensive Michelin MXM4 Tires

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Yes - Make Higher Quality Tire at Lower Cost

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basing your decision on whether or not a tire is "high quality" on only cost and how long they last is super naive. Any tire company can make a cheap tire that lasts for ages, but that doesn't mean the tire is good at all. It needs to actually perform as a tire. That is, maintain grip well in all sorts of scenarios. Some of the highest quality tires have a short life. Some of the worst tires have the longest life.

As others have stated, there are far more important factors to a tire than how long it lasts and the price. You have ~125-150 in^2 of rubber that is touching the road at any given time (think a 1' by 1' patch total when you factor in all 4 tires). That rubber has to handle all the forces generated by the car or you are no longer in control. Do you really want to compromise that to save a few dollars? I'd rather replace my tires every 10k miles with a quality tire than spend half as much for something that might last 4 times as long but will fail me when I need it.