Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ New Buyer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On another note, been trying to convince Tesla to install 1 supercharger somewhere in S. Jersey (between Phila and Cape May, suggested off AC expressway, The Shops at Cross Keys in Sicklerville would be an awesome location)

That's actually a fantastic location. I am going to suggest that same location to them too right now. I also think somewhere around the outlets in AC would be a good location so North Jersey -> Cape May drivers could hit it as well as Philly -> Shore

I live in S. Jersey, take delivery of my Model S in a week, but pick it up at the Norristown, PA location as it's closer to me. My DS tells me I have to go to Springfield, NJ to sign paperwork before I can pick up the car. The Springfield location is 78 miles, 90 minutes away. I'm financing the car to take advantage of the residual guarantee. The "banks" require borrowers "to sign the docs in person at a Tesla location in the state where they live." So the nearest NJ location is Springfield. This is not a good customer experience for me. I understand Tesla is a new company and has to follow what the banks do, etc. But, US Bank and Wells Fargo will close a $1 million+ mortgage in my home, or even via FedEx with notarized signatures. I'm dropping $100K+ on a new purchase and yet I have to waste my time driving to sign docs? Then I'm told to "be on time because they are very busy with 45 deliveries to get done before quarter-end on the 23rd." Excuse meeeeee... Tesla could learn a lot from Disney.

There has to be at least a dozen better ways to do this.

Have people in other states had to do this? What about states that do not have a Tesla location??? Does US Bank require them to fly to the nearest state to sign loan docs? I doubt it. Ever heard about e-Signature?

Thoughts?

Yes....PAY CASH

Stop whining........You will forget all about your experience when you get your car.

RELAX!!!

Pay cash, no resid gty.

Fortunately the drive was easy and no traffic on the NJTP or Parkway. Signing took all of 15 minutes, and I got to see my car's twin as an exact duplicate of my car was being delivered.

All I have been trying to communicate with this thread is that one part of the excellent Tesla process is broken, and should be fixed. I spoke to folks in Palo Alta and shared some ideas which were well received. Complaining for the sake of complaining, is whining. Pointing out a service inconsistency and offering viable solutions is constructive and helpful, I think.

Yes, it will all be a distant memory in a few days when I pick up my car once it reaches the East. This thread will self-destruct 10 days after delivery...

Pay cash, no resid gty.

Fortunately the drive was easy and no traffic on the NJTP or Parkway. Signing took all of 15 minutes, and I got to see my car's twin as an exact duplicate of my car was being delivered.

All I have been trying to communicate with this thread is that one part of the excellent Tesla process is broken, and should be fixed. I spoke to folks in Palo Alta and shared some ideas which were well received. Complaining for the sake of complaining, is whining. Pointing out a service inconsistency and offering viable solutions is constructive and helpful, I think.

Yes, it will all be a distant memory in a few days when I pick up my car once it reaches the East. This thread will self-destruct 10 days after delivery...

Glad you now have your car and are able to enjoy it now. I didn't take any of your posts as whining, just observations and looking for advice. That's bound to elicit a range of responses. You'll likely find that when communicating with Tesla also (range of responses). But if enough people communicate the same issue or problem, Tesla will take notice.

I live in S. Jersey, take delivery of my Model S in a week, but pick it up at the Norristown, PA location as it's closer to me. My DS tells me I have to go to Springfield, NJ to sign paperwork before I can pick up the car. The Springfield location is 78 miles, 90 minutes away. I'm financing the car to take advantage of the residual guarantee. The "banks" require borrowers "to sign the docs in person at a Tesla location in the state where they live."
This is probably false, as usual with communications from Tesla. Demand to speak to the next person up in the hierarchy, or perhaps to the representative of the bank if necessary.

I'm sure that the documents can be mailed to you and signed in front of a notary, or medallion signature guarantee, or something similar. The bank's rules will almost certainly allow something like that as an alternative to "signing at a Tesla office". I bet what happened is that the incompetents at Tesla (they are really, REALLY bad with legal stuff at Tesla -- REALLY AWFUL) didn't manage to get the full information from the bank. So you're getting what the people at Tesla *think* are the bank's rules, but the people at Tesla are *WRONG*.

I remember the fight I had with Tesla to get my car registered. In NY registration can't be done before ownership, and insurance can't either because you can't insure something you don't own, but Tesla wanted the insurance information before scheduling delivery. Ahem). Once I talked to the guy who does NY registration, who knew the rules, everything was fine. But the people at Tesla HQ did not know JACK; internal communications at Tesla SUCKS.

You need to talk to the people at the bank responsible for the deal, or perhaps the executive at Tesla who negotiated the deal. It will turn out there's some perfectly straightforward method of signing the documents and the Tesla lower-level people simply don't know about it.

----
I've had trouble like this before with innumerable other companies. Often there are three or four ways of satisfying some rules, but the low-level idiot flunkies only know one of the ways, the most common way, and will only tell you that method. You have to push up the hierarchy, often three or four levels or even to a division head, to get someone who says "Oh, you could use the alternate method", at which point I usually say "Thank you. Could you train your subordinates to know that?"

Pay cash, no resid gty.

Glad it's taken care of. I also financed with Tesla to guarantee residual value. I contacted my DS after reading your post to see if I needed to go anywhere first to sign docs. She said no, it will be done at delivery appointment. I went with Wells Fargo and am in California, so not sure if either of those things matter.

Last edited:
This is probably false, as usual with communications from Tesla. Demand to speak to the next person up in the hierarchy, or perhaps to the representative of the bank if necessary.

I'm sure that the documents can be mailed to you and signed in front of a notary, or medallion signature guarantee, or something similar. The bank's rules will almost certainly allow something like that as an alternative to "signing at a Tesla office". I bet what happened is that the incompetents at Tesla (they are really, REALLY bad with legal stuff at Tesla -- REALLY AWFUL) didn't manage to get the full information from the bank. So you're getting what the people at Tesla *think* are the bank's rules, but the people at Tesla are *WRONG*.

I remember the fight I had with Tesla to get my car registered. In NY registration can't be done before ownership, and insurance can't either because you can't insure something you don't own, but Tesla wanted the insurance information before scheduling delivery. Ahem). Once I talked to the guy who does NY registration, who knew the rules, everything was fine. But the people at Tesla HQ did not know JACK; internal communications at Tesla SUCKS.

You need to talk to the people at the bank responsible for the deal, or perhaps the executive at Tesla who negotiated the deal. It will turn out there's some perfectly straightforward method of signing the documents and the Tesla lower-level people simply don't know about it.

----
I've had trouble like this before with innumerable other companies. Often there are three or four ways of satisfying some rules, but the low-level idiot flunkies only know one of the ways, the most common way, and will only tell you that method. You have to push up the hierarchy, often three or four levels or even to a division head, to get someone who says "Oh, you could use the alternate method", at which point I usually say "Thank you. Could you train your subordinates to know that?"

This may help other people but the OP indicated he/she had signed the paperwork in NJ in a post dated 12/7/13 (above).