Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ Turnpike 2019 Supercharger speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been on my second long Brooklyn<-->Maryland round trips and found myself annoyed with the spacing of SCs on NJ Turnpike.
There's a 90 mile gap from Newark, DE to the nearest NJ Turnpike SC.. then several 15-20mi apart in MD once you get south of Newark.
My trip starts an hour before the NJ SC and an hour past the Newark SC. So for human pit stops, the near is too close and the far is too far... we end up breaking somewhere in between for the people and again elsewhere for the car..

Cross referencing Tesla's list of "Coming Soon, Target Opening in 2019" SCs in NJ with NJ Turnpike rest stops...
I think we have the following coming, all of which close this 90mi gap-
- Cherry Hill TBD 2019 = Walt Whitman Service Plaza S?
- Mt Laurel TBD 2019 = James Fenimore Cooper Service Plaza N?
- Hamilton Township TBD 2019 = Woodrow Wilson Service Plaza N/S?
Looks like this put SCs in 3 of the 4 rest stops between Newark & Molly Pitcher!
Any signs of progress on these 3?

thanks!

Reactions: preilly44
I wouldn't put any stock in Tesla's 2019 map, its really pretty meaningless.

I'd love to see some more of the service centers getting superchargers, particularly since Cranbury is frequently full now.

For your trip, there are lots of superchargers just slightly off your route that would be easy to stop at, Hamilton, Burlington, Paulsboro or Claymont would all only add a few minutes to your trip.

Oh I ended up detouring to Paulsboro last night, but it felt like it added 10-15min onto the trip (in addition to the charging time).

Not sure how I like WaWa vs a full size rest stop for killing 15-20min either. Felt like I was loitering in there after the first circuits thru the aisles.

So I have been on my second long Brooklyn<-->Maryland round trips and found myself annoyed with the spacing of SCs on NJ Turnpike.
There's a 90 mile gap from Newark, DE to the nearest NJ Turnpike SC.. then several 15-20mi apart in MD once you get south of Newark.
My trip starts an hour before the NJ SC and an hour past the Newark SC. So for human pit stops, the near is too close and the far is too far... we end up breaking somewhere in between for the people and again elsewhere for the car..

Cross referencing Tesla's list of "Coming Soon, Target Opening in 2019" SCs in NJ with NJ Turnpike rest stops...
I think we have the following coming, all of which close this 90mi gap-
Looks like this put SCs in 3 of the 4 rest stops between Newark & Molly Pitcher!

thanks!

Are we really complaining about a 90 mile gap? When there are number of places out there that would be really happy with only a 90 mile gap.

Or maybe you are suggesting that some of the 1-20 mil apart stations be removed and put somewhere more useful? That I would agree with!!!

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The NJ end of the 90mi gap has a small number of stalls (4 North / 4 South), and then on the DE end of the gap you end up with basically 3 rest areas in a row with 10+ stalls.. spaced ~15mi apart. So the spacing is quite off for such a busy corridor.
At one point I was in a 3 car Tesla caravan on and off for an hour and we all ended up stopped at Newark DE for the SCs.

The NJ end of the 90mi gap has a small number of stalls (4 North / 4 South), and then on the DE end of the gap you end up with basically 3 rest areas in a row with 10+ stalls.. spaced ~15mi apart. So the spacing is quite off for such a busy corridor.
At one point I was in a 3 car Tesla caravan on and off for an hour and we all ended up stopped at Newark DE for the SCs.

I can get away with getting from N. Central MA down to Woodbridge, NJ if it's warm. if not, I stop for a quickie in Greenwich or Darien so I can make the jump into Delaware.

Are we really complaining about a 90 mile gap? When there are number of places out there that would be really happy with only a 90 mile gap.

Or maybe you are suggesting that some of the 1-20 mil apart stations be removed and put somewhere more useful? That I would agree with!!!

I don't know that the complaint was distance between so much as the NJ Turnpike is the world's most heavily trafficked roadway and one would think there would be more options. In addition, the turnpike is a toll and limited access highway meaning to exit the roadway requires tollbooth on leaving and same on reentering. Same for those who might have to Supercharge nearby (in the area but not using the NJTP) and have to enter the roadway with the next exit north or south 20 miles away. Arguably the CT Turnpike is now toll-less and has more exits so SuC's located on 95 there are more convenient. I live in NJ and when I travel south I opt for 295. That highway runs parallel to the NJTP, has less heavy truck traffic, more exits with options (SuC at Hamilton, Burlington, Paulsboro, with Marlton and Deptford scheduled) and NO TOLLS.

Right the cold weather is a huge factor as well and factors into your charging strategy.
I purposely supercharged at least 90min into the drive each direction to maximize charge rate based on SoC & temperature.

My ~350mi round trip still used 480mi of range and that was with some planning.
Started trip charged to 100% plugged into L2 charger until the minute we left Brooklyn
Climate set no higher than 67F. Fan set to 2-3. No defroster.
Didn't get cold enough overnight for snowflaking & lost regen, otherwise could have been another +2-30mi of range use.

Contributing factors are being ~40F, drizzling in one direction.. and a lot of 80+ MPH driving.
Returned with ~15% and the dire cold weather warning "your car will have significantly less charge if it gets cold".
Had I started with a cold battery it would have been much worse.

Alas, probably not, it's rumored to actually be in Cherry Hill area
This is definately a no, see thread on Mt Laurel Super Charger, it's at the Promenade shopping center
I have to wonder if this is an expansion at the existing Hamilton supercharge which is early and only 6 stalls.

Sorry...

Alas, probably not, it's rumored to actually be in Cherry Hill area
This is definately a no, see thread on Mt Laurel Super Charger, it's at the Promenade shopping center
I have to wonder if this is an expansion at the existing Hamilton supercharge which is early and only 6 stalls.

Sorry...

Thanks for the (unfortunately disappointing) info.
Really if they can get SCs into even 1 service plaza on this 90mi NJ TP gap it would be a huge boost..

Or if Tesla map routing was a bit more intelligent and put me onto 95/295 instead of NJ TP.. so I am closer to SCs on the way..
If Tesla knows I need to SC en-route and is suggesting I have to stop somewhere to make it home, then why put me on NJ TP.

I'd love to see some more of the service centers getting superchargers, particularly since Cranbury is frequently full now.

I would like that only if the service center itself was banned from using it. Otherwise it will be a disaster like Paramus where the service center is using the supercharger to charge delivery cars during high sales periods. Really, what the service center needs are more wall connectors. Charge delivery cars at level 2.

I would like that only if the service center itself was banned from using it. Otherwise it will be a disaster like Paramus where the service center is using the supercharger to charge delivery cars during high sales periods. Really, what the service center needs are more wall connectors. Charge delivery cars at level 2.
err... by service centers I mean the highway rest stops, not the Tesla Service Centers, as you say Paramus is a disaster.