Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No 360 camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Mercedes glc had a good 360 view .
My 2021 Volvo xc40 p8 was good but not as good as the merc .
To tell the truth I just presumed the model y had 360 cam when I ordered it .
But in my defence the details of the vehicle aren’t overly obvious on the Tesla website.
And with so may cameras who would of thought it would be missing!

🤯

Reactions: c3nsored
James Douma said the reason Tesla does not provide this feature is it would highlight the fact that Tesla cameras don't see close in to the vehicle at all angles. Tesla already stitches together the view from all the cameras (to create the occupancy network) they just don't provide this view to the user.

Reactions: Matias
360 bird's eye view is one of the features I miss most on both of my Teslas. Now that USS have been removed this may become a safety hazard. If Tesla refuses to add a front mounted camera and a vision only car hits a pet or small child, or causes an injury since the windshield and side cameras cannot see the front below the hood. As a Tesla stock holder and a person who wants 360 view and front view, this is a great concern. It is okay to be 100% vision but if vision does not cover 100%, this will be a problem. Tesla should have fixed vision to duplicate USS function before removing USS.

360 bird's eye view is one of the features I miss most on both of my Teslas. Now that USS have been removed this may become a safety hazard. If Tesla refuses to add a front mounted camera and a vision only car hits a pet or small child, or causes an injury since the windshield and side cameras cannot see the front below the hood. As a Tesla stock holder and a person who wants 360 view and front view, this is a great concern. It is okay to be 100% vision but if vision does not cover 100%, this will be a problem. Tesla should have fixed vision to duplicate USS function before removing USS.
I agree with you, but hitting a pet or small child example is bit extreme. I've driven many cars, SUVs and Trucks with no front camera or 360 degree views, but I didn't kill a pet or child or adult due to lack of front bottom facing camera.
I've seen many accidents with small child or pet playing behind the cars and get hit even with the cameras and sensors.

I agree with you, but hitting a pet or small child example is bit extreme. I've driven many cars, SUVs and Trucks with no front camera or 360 degree views, but I didn't kill a pet or child or adult due to lack of front bottom facing camera.
I've seen many accidents with small child or pet playing behind the cars and get hit even with the cameras and sensors.
Were any of those vehicles advertised as self driving, self parking or could be summoned remotely without driver being present?

Who is at fault if a summoned Tesla Vision car does kill a child or dog? Are you willing to take on that liability?

While you may choose to be risk adverse and manually park and never use summon, there are plenty of Tesla drivers who blindly drink the kool-aid and think the tech is as perfect as advertised.

Were any of those vehicles advertised as self driving, self parking or could be summoned remotely without driver being present?

Who is at fault if a summoned Tesla Vision car does kill a child or dog? Are you willing to take on that liability?

While you may choose to be risk adverse and manually park and never use summon, there are plenty of Tesla drivers who blindly drink the kool-aid and think the tech is as perfect as advertised.
I am always responsible for my action and my car. If you use the FSD or summon without checking the surroundings of your car, you are 100% liable for it. There are millions of vehicles without any cameras and they are not deemed as safety risk as the 360 view is more like continence feature.

I am always responsible for my action and my car. If you use the FSD or summon without checking the surroundings of your car, you are 100% liable for it. There are millions of vehicles without any cameras and they are not deemed as safety risk as the 360 view is more like continence feature.
I get your point, and it was more or less what I figured you'd say (and I completely agree).

The same tech that would make 360 possible, makes all of those advertised and "safe" automated features for Tesla cars possible. Without it, Tesla cars create a sense of complacency among those who aren't as skilled at driving, or with nearly the amount of experience as someone who has driven dozens of cars without ADAS features.

Reactions: nate704
With the view I have in our 2022 Model Y I find I need help getting the car centered in a parking spot, I wish my 2022 Model Y had the same Surround View I had on our 2017 GMC Acadia. I have to open the car door to see if I’m centered and often have to reposition the car.

With the view I have in our 2022 Model Y I find I need help getting the car centered in a parking spot, I wish my 2022 Model Y had the same Surround View I had on our 2017 GMC Acadia. I have to open the car door to see if I’m centered and often have to reposition the car.
simply activate the cameras by pressing the camera button and it will show your side views,, so you can check your position. No need to open the door or look at the mirror.

I get your point, and it was more or less what I figured you'd say (and I completely agree).

The same tech that would make 360 possible, makes all of those advertised and "safe" automated features for Tesla cars possible. Without it, Tesla cars create a sense of complacency among those who aren't as skilled at driving, or with nearly the amount of experience as someone who has driven dozens of cars without ADAS features.
you can put thousands of cameras and safety features on the car and people will still manage to "misuse" and cause problems/accidents, etc. It is my/your choice/decision when you shop for your car based on your requirements. If the 360 view is a must, you should get the car with one. if cars do not have the features you want, it doesn't/shouldn't meant they are unsafe or safety risk.

It's funny to me the things we have come to 'depend' on. I had a Honda Odyssey rental last week that had the cross-traffic alert. The first time it went off, I had no clue what the heck was beeping. Once I figured it out, I wanted to turn it off. I've been driving since 1975 so don't personally feel the need for a lot of these electronic crutches. That said, the invention of the back-up camera was genius.

It's funny to me the things we have come to 'depend' on. I had a Honda Odyssey rental last week that had the cross-traffic alert. The first time it went off, I had no clue what the heck was beeping. Once I figured it out, I wanted to turn it off. I've been driving since 1975 so don't personally feel the need for a lot of these electronic crutches. That said, the invention of the back-up camera was genius.
Boomer mentality. More safety features = bad

Tesla cameras and sensors are designed to enable FSD features, not to give birds eye views to drives. If there is really a market for this, I imagine the aftermarket will provide a solution.
While the aftermarket could do something, it seems that if Tesla where to add a nose camera we would be there. When I look at the security videos in my car it seems they have most of what I want, except that curb or low bush that is right in front of the car.

It seems to me that with the removal of the USS that Tesla will need to have some way to determine close objects to the front of the car especially. Maybe calculate the where the object last was when in camera view and then calculate how far the vehicle has moved and in what direction to determine the current state of any objects. Using this method Tesla could possibly provide an "augmented" 360 view.

Reactions: Zedbox
The front camera fender view is one of the primary ones that people would want, using this type of camera (for parking blocks and such). I think tesla could probably stitch together "something" but it wont be like 360 view in every other car that has the cameras pointed in the right place for it.

I miss the 360 view from my and my wifes BMWs for sure, but not enough to go back to driving those (lol). No car is perfect, and this is just one of those missing things for me.
Tell me about it. $1800 to replace front bumper because of parking blocks. New bumper now has a few scratches. Pain in the ass