Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AM radio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had a chance to test it, but reports are that there is enough RFI/EMI from the motors being used to basically make listening to AM virtually impossible. I'm guessing it's similar to this video, BMW i3 AM Radio Interference. Skip to the 1 minute mark if you want to see the fun begin...

Would be a fun project if you could somehow figure out the motor RPMs from the pitch/frequency of the whine coming from an AM radio.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
:) I got use to listen for 10 min for quick weather update and any breaking news when I start form home every day, and the first thing to try on the M3 audio system was this 1010wins station. I was able to find on my Tune-in account but unfortunately logging in to my tune-in account never worked for me on M3, I hope they fix it in v9. (btw I got v9 update last night and didn't try it yet, but was looking for the famous navigate on autopilot and couldn't find then saw online that they pulled this feature)

I also got the same info from Tesla. They told me that AM radio was not included in the Model 3 because of interferance issues. Seems silly that they could not block such interference from the motors/electronics, but then I'm not a radio engineer. It is mostly true that AM radio stations can be found on the Internet, so you can use the ALL MUSIC search and put in the call letters and find AM radio stations. I'm not sure if this feature is dependent upon having a smart phone streaming to your Tesla or not, but I think the model 3 can plug into these internet radio stations by itself? Anyway, it is a reasonable workaround to listening to AM radio via either the built-in internet or streamed from your phone.

• Informative
Reactions: ralph142
This would be a lot of work, but there is a way to get AM radio in your Tesla. They make small, inexpensive, battery-operated Bluetooth transmitters that plug into a standard 1/8" headphone jack. If you then get a small pocket AM radio, plug the Bluetooth adapter into its headphone jack, and then pair the Bluetooth adapter with your Tesla, you'll be able to listen to AM radio through your Tesla's stereo speakers. Sound quality and reception will probably be iffy, but it'll work.

• Funny
Reactions: seattlite2004
This would be a lot of work, but there is a way to get AM radio in your Tesla. They make small, inexpensive, battery-operated Bluetooth transmitters that plug into a standard 1/8" headphone jack. If you then get a small pocket AM radio, plug the Bluetooth adapter into its headphone jack, and then pair the Bluetooth adapter with your Tesla, you'll be able to listen to AM radio through your Tesla's stereo speakers. Sound quality and reception will probably be iffy, but it'll work.

Not sure, but won't this just put the noise on the Bluetooth link? Plug in an earpiece - that should tell you what you will hear via the Bluetooth setup.