Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AM/XM radio or included Wifi? Tesla Streaming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me like there is some truth to the rumors about Tesla wanting to start their own streaming music service. They'd charge a monthly fee and it would include mobile data. Otherwise the car would be really lacking in the entertainment department. Getting a data plan directly can be costly and I already have a lifetime XM subscription, so I'm hoping to have a sat receiver and antenna in the car. But if the price is right I'd go with a Tesla service.

It seems to me like there is some truth to the rumors about Tesla wanting to start their own streaming music service. They'd charge a monthly fee and it would include mobile data. Otherwise the car would be really lacking in the entertainment department. Getting a data plan directly can be costly and I already have a lifetime XM subscription, so I'm hoping to have a sat receiver and antenna in the car. But if the price is right I'd go with a Tesla service.
This is the car for Joe Everyman.
Joe doesnt have XM

Standard AM does not work well in electric vehicles. S and X do not have it either. Must be streamed.
Nonsense. Bolt and Model S have AM and I listened to my portable SONY AM radio successfully in Model X. If Tesla wanted to, they could engineer an antenna to work. If not, then hire Bose or Delphi to design a solution for the fans of AM radio. At the least, Tesla should include both TuneIn and iHeartRADIO apps.

Nonsense. Bolt and Model S have AM and I listened to my portable SONY AM radio successfully in Model X. If Tesla wanted to, they could engineer an antenna to work. If not, then hire Bose or Delphi to design a solution for the fans of AM radio. At the least, Tesla should include both TuneIn and iHeartRADIO apps.

Usually I blow smoke half the time on here but I work on automotive radios for a living and AM is insanely hard to get working in noisy electrical environments. This includes EV's and Harley Davidson's. When you use your portable SONY AM radio are you powering it off the car or are you using batteries? If you are using batteries that isn't the same as integrating into the car because ground loops and electrical noise from the car cause more issues than you can imagine. When you have your portable radio in the car it doesn't pick up the ground noise like an in dash radio would.

We spend days in cars test driving to get the noise minimized for AM implementations. It is insanely difficult to get all the noise out and it takes hundreds of hours for each car to get the DSP settings right to get AM listenable. When you have a portable radio or a consumer radio the only real noise you have to deal with is AC power in the home. For cars you have other noise sources like ignitions in ICE cars and AC motor noise etc...

I can see why Tesla is trying to remove it from their cars. It isn't easy to get right on any car let alone an EV.

It is possible that SiriusXM is part of the PUP, just like the S/X, but the website doesn't list every feature. It's not the most exhaustive spec list.

Also, AM may be available, but again, just not important enough to list.

How about XM radio? Most well equipped cars, luxury and non-luxury have it. Had a 07 Nissan SUV with it. I see no reason to have it omitted from a higher end 17 luxury car.

Tesla streaming service? Why? When rumors of that broke, people derided Tesla as losing focus. Just allow third party apps so people can use their existing streaming services they're more than happy with in their car. Charge a modest fee for data access by the user if they must - they'll still keep the connection alive for themselves for AP and other telemetry. Tesla having their own streaming service would crowd an already oversaturated music streaming app market.

Streaming radio would be fine so long as it streams LIVE programming. I don't want to have to listen to recorded programming. Thus the desire to have XM on my M3. If Tesla will not include it, I will try to purchase a Lynx XM radio and see if it will Bluetooth to my car.