Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No app connectivity until I reboot with both scroll wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been troubleshooting this issue since November with no resolution from Tesla.

Issue: Unable to connect to the car via the app unless the car is connected to Wifi, regardless of the LTE/mobile signal strength. The only way to get it working is to reset the car software (hold down both scroll bars on the steering wheel). After which the app will establish remote connectivity and control for some amount of time.

This doesn't appear to be linked to any periodical server issues that Tesla has, it's fairly consistent all the time.

Troubleshooting steps:
1. Mobile tech came out and reset the software - didn't work
2. Took the car into the service center and Tesla replaced the entire CPU - didn't work.

Running out of ideas here. Any solutions that you've run into?

A few additional points --
1. When the app is no longer able to connect to the car, there's no error message - just stuck at "x minutes ago" at the top
2. Correction on the "replaced entire CPU" above = MCU computer was replaced
3. When the car is connected via Wifi, no issues connecting to the car remotely via the app
4. Tried this on multiple phones (including my partners account on her phone). Not using a VPN on any of the phones, and we experience the issue even in open areas with strong LTE connection
5. Connecting via the app within bluetooth distance tends to work fine

After further troubleshooting with Tesla I got the following back from them:
After reviewing the vehicles diagnostic logs and performing diagnostic test on the vehicle, My data shows this concern is currently under investigation and is actively being investigated by engineering to find the fix as this is more software related concern, Not hardware concern as I verified that with the diagnostic test ran and also by reviewing the vehicles diagnostic logs show no issues with the hardware. We do not need your vehicle to come in for service as we are unsure what the fix is until engineering informs us of the fix.

So looks like I'm SOL until they figure something out on their end - until then I have to remember to reset the car every time I park away from home.

I have EXACTLY the same problem here. shows up recently ,
when apps refuse to connect the car remotely, i can do web surfing with the build in brower just fine, so it's not a problem of losing data connecting to LTE station. meanwhile if i switch to BT or WIFI, the apps works well.
this is little annoying since remote control of window is quite imporant especially when it gets hot outside.

I have the same issue on my 2023 SRM3. It just started happening about 2 months ago. I have not done the steering reset but it randomly works some days. I suspect many have the same issue but most people don't check their app daily.

Same issue here. I received a tip on reddit to put my phone in airplane mode and back to resolve.... didn't resolve. It's currently my only issue with the car and it's more annoying than it is critical. I sure as sh@t won't be paying for premium connectivity if it isn't resolved though. Resetting via the knobs is a reliable fix when off wifi. As soon as I get back to wifi all is fine (until I leave it again)

Well... I texted service for a cruise control issue and they said my car software was out of date and pushed the new software to me. Or it was a big coincidence that after they replied I had a software update available. The car updated to 2023.12.9

I wasn't able to connect at work after going on wifi then I remembered this tip and I'm happy to say it worked! Just a few seconds and I was able to connect to the car to vent my windows. Woo hoo.

I now see this as an app / phone issue vs car. Hopefully it will get fixed in time.

After further troubleshooting with Tesla I got the following back from them:

So looks like I'm SOL until they figure something out on their end - until then I have to remember to reset the car every time I park away from home.
Thanks for the info, @bladder01 ! I have the exact same issue. Facing it right now too. I don't think it's related to the WiFi connectivity; can't say as the car is not on!

I have the added issue that sometimes, even trying to reboot by pressing both scroll-wheels does *not* work immediately. I then leave the vehicle alone for several minutes, and by the time I check (around 30mins later), it has. This can be a real pain when the car is needed immediately.

Thanks for the info, @bladder01 ! I have the exact same issue. Facing it right now too. I don't think it's related to the WiFi connectivity; can't say as the car is not on!

I have the added issue that sometimes, even trying to reboot by pressing both scroll-wheels does *not* work immediately. I then leave the vehicle alone for several minutes, and by the time I check (around 30mins later), it has. This can be a real pain when the car is needed immediately.

Update: Gave the car back to Tesla 2 weeks ago to have another go at fixing the problem. They indicate they have no solution available, that it's a known firmware issue (unsolved for over a year).

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to move forward? They are offering no way to solve it. I'd love for them to just replace the car with one that works as intended.

I have no solution for you, but I am having the same issue. Also, my car does not always connect with my phone even when I'm in the car. It keeps asking for a key card. I have to use the scroll wheel reset, and then it will recognize my phone. Super frustrating when I'm out and trying to get back in the car and it just won't open.

Seems similar to an issue I've had since like November of 2022 on my MYP (purchased in Dec '20). It's very had to get status on the car, and voice commands effectively never work. After many rounds of "wait for new SW" I had a tech keep it for 3 days, (tear it apart looking for damaged wires and stuff) and still all they figured out was that Tesla's VPN wasn't connecting when switching away from WiFi.

My solution for the voice commands not working over LTE is to use my phone as a wifi hotspot for the car. It's clunky but it works. I have no fix for it being just about impossible to send the car commands unless it's on wifi.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I'm chiming in here to automate getting notifications if anyone manages to solve it.

Also, I do have FSD and have been in the beta for a very long time - no idea if the bug could be related to that