Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No audio bug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twice now in 3 days my Model 3 has had zero audio coming through the speakers during a drive... no music, no chimes, no beeps, not even any turn signal "clicking" sounds... No nothing. It was as if the speakers were simply disconnected. (*This is different than the "crackling" problem described in other threads like this one.)

A scroll wheel reset mid-drive did not fix it. And voice commands are non-functional when this happens, so I couldn't submit a bug report. But after turning the car off and leaving it for a couple hours before returning, it reverted back to normal on the next drive both times.

My brother's Model 3 had the exact same issue a few days ago. And at least 2 other people on the M3OC forum reported a similar bug in their Model 3's in recent days in this thread. So it doesn't seem like an isolated issue, and I wonder if it may be a bug introduced in a recent firmware update.

Anyone else here run into the same problem?

(Edit: I immediately regret my confusing wording in the title for this thread.) :oops:

Reactions: DJVoorhees
I have been having this exact issue the past week as well. I submitted a bug report when my audio came back on. I am hoping it gets fixed OTA soon. I have a service center appointment this Friday for a rattle, and I will bring it up to them.

Reactions: jsmay311
Twice now in 3 days my Model 3 has had zero audio coming through the speakers during a drive... no music, no chimes, no beeps, not even any turn signal "clicking" sounds... No nothing. It was as if the speakers were simply disconnected. (*This is different than the "crackling" problem described in other threads like this one.)

A scroll wheel reset mid-drive did not fix it. And voice commands are non-functional when this happens, so I couldn't submit a bug report. But after turning the car off and leaving it for a couple hours before returning, it reverted back to normal on the next drive both times.

My brother's Model 3 had the exact same issue a few days ago. And at least 2 other people on the M3OC forum reported a similar bug in their Model 3's in recent days in this thread. So it doesn't seem like an isolated issue, and I wonder if it may be a bug introduced in a recent firmware update.

Anyone else here run into the same problem?

(Edit: I immediately regret my confusing wording in the title for this thread.) :oops:

From the first post in the thread you linked:

> I do not think this is a bluetooth issue because when I say the entire audio stack cuts out, I mean it. Turn signal and other auditory indicators are also affected.

This is /exactly/ the same issue as you are describing.

From the first post in the thread you linked:

> I do not think this is a bluetooth issue because when I say the entire audio stack cuts out, I mean it. Turn signal and other auditory indicators are also affected.

This is /exactly/ the same issue as you are describing.

I don't think we share similar definitions of the word "exactly". ;)

None of these details from the other post apply to what I observed:
  • "The entire audio stack cut out (usually with some static distortion as it cuts out -- think of someone pulling a 3.5mm out of a jack while actively playing off that input, that's sort of what it sounds like)"
  • "It usually comes back on its own in ~10-15 seconds, but there was one instance where it didn't come back for about a minute."
Mine is zero audio for the entire duration of the trip.

I have had the same issue about 5 times in the last week now. I have to stop, use the power off in the menu and then go and it's solved.

Is this still happening to a lot of people?

Still happens to me a lot.

I wonder if it only affects certain cars (certain VIN range). Seems like there would be more "noise" about this issue if everyone is effected.

Im sure there could be more than one reason why you might lose all sounds, but here's what my invoice showed (OHC = Overhead Control...I dont know what that is though):

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 8.12.33 PM.png

Reactions: Hjwallace
Is this still happening to a lot of people?

Still happens to me a lot.

I wonder if it only affects certain cars (certain VIN range). Seems like there would be more "noise" about this issue if everyone is effected.

It’s only happened to me twice, both times on 2018.44.2. Both times I was able to fix it by exiting my 3 and closing the door then opening the door again after just a few seconds. I haven’t had it happen since upgrading to 2018.46.2 a few days ago.

Reactions: stayfocus18
How long has it been now? When they told me they will replace the amp, I was kinda skeptical. My problem started after a software update so it’s reasonable to assume it’s software related.
About 2 months ago. Started after other issues were repaired so I think when they replaced the amp they also do a software reflash. That could be the fix vs the amp replacement.

I had the persistent form of this happen to me yesterday. Tried several scroll wheel reboots, but nothing. Stayed broken until I left the car overnight. (I did not try the power off menu). I am still on 2018.42, so will be curious if the firmware fixes it.