Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No crumple zone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has up to date information now that the CT has officially been launched and a few are in the hands of new owners.
I wonder how their ultrasonic sensors work through the stainless steel vs. the aluminum of the Model X.
I’ve been wondering that for a while now.
I doubt it has sensors going through metal.
With the caveat that I am not an engineer of any kind, I agree.

But where the sensors need to be located is along the bumpers and where they wrap around the corners. I would guess the bumpers are not made out of the steel alloy used for the body, so they could have small thin spots in them that the sensors can operate through.

I do not think the crash test video Tesla released is doing them any favors. Rear air bags don't deploy at 35 mph. Hope any CT owners do not have kids in the rear seat.
This is driving me nuts. The other trucks are in offset crash tests. That generates sideways motion and therefore the side airbags deploy. Also, obviously an offset crash test will cause more crumpling versus absorbing the force over the entire front of the vehicle. Also they're 40 mph vs. 35mph (energy is square of speed).
40mph offset:
35mph front:

This post makes no sense (granted, it was right after announcement....). This is all mandated by the government. The car couldn't be sold if it didn't meet certain standards re: occupant safety and airbag deployment. Tesla has historically had a pretty good record on crash tests.

Regarding the USS - I assume it doesn't have them since Tesla is all-in on Vision, for better or for worse. The good news is that it might work better in the CT, since the hood slopes more than in, say, the Model Y.

Reactions: Olle and zoomer0056
Based on the front impact video they posted. I would think they would just total the CT since not enough cushion in the front of the vehicle. I’m hoping it not a one piece frame but 3 piece where the frame damage can be replaced.
CT has 3 major pieces that make up what used to be called a “frame”; the front casting, the structural battery pack, and the rear casting.

At this point we have no information about the feasibility of repair in major crashes. Auto industry experts can certainly opine, but I will not.

CT has 3 major pieces that make up what used to be called a “frame”; the front casting, the structural battery pack, and the rear casting.

At this point we have no information about the feasibility of repair in major crashes. Auto industry experts can certainly opine, but I will not.
I do hope they have the 3 piece frame so we can replace the damaged portion. Coming from a 22 MYP (9k miles) that was totaled due to rails being cracked in a rearend collision. The frame was a one piece & my insurance company totaled tbe car and the rail on frame damage was too much to repair/replace. Is the reason I’m asking, I don’t want to wait another couple of months to replace a vehicle.

I do hope they have the 3 piece frame so we can replace the damaged portion. Coming from a 22 MYP (9k miles) that was totaled due to rails being cracked in a rearend collision. The frame was a one piece & my insurance company totaled tbe car and the rail on frame damage was too much to repair/replace. Is the reason I’m asking, I don’t want to wait another couple of months to replace a vehicle.
So the car may have saved your life, but you prefer a vehicle that transfers the entire shock of a crash to your body and kills you? No thanks. I'd be very thankful the car took its life to help save you. As a bonus, you get a new car. Seems like a good deal to me.

Based on the front impact video they posted. I would think they would just total the CT since not enough cushion in the front of the vehicle. I’m hoping it not a one piece frame but 3 piece where the frame damage can be replaced.
Most vehicles (maybe all?) are totaled in an accident similar to the test. The idea is to let the vehicle die to protect the occupants. If you want a vehicle that survives for another day, the occupants are not likely to survive in a test this severe. I looked closely at the crash-tested CT on display last week, and I don't see it being repaired. It would still have value in parting out the cabin and rear. Crumble zone seemed to be about the same as an ICE truck with a non-crushable engine. Still, it will be interesting to see how it does in independent ratings.

I do not think the crash test video Tesla released is doing them any favors. Rear air bags don't deploy at 35 mph. Hope any CT owners do not have kids in the rear seat.
CT is no different than other cars and trucks. There are only airbags on the sides for rear passengers in cars and trucks, so it would take a side impact to trigger those. There is no value (and maybe some risk) to firing them in a direct frontal collision. If you have kids, you need to have them in secured car seats or seat belts depending on the size of your kids.

I can confirm, that there are no ultrasonic sensors, around the CT, or inside the doors. The doors do pop open about 2 inches but do not motor open like the Model X front doors.
I’m curious as to your source of information.

Are you saying that there are no ultrasonic sensors anywhere on the vehicle?

That does not surprise me, but I would like to know how you are certain that is the case. Thanks.

That does not surprise me, but I would like to know how you are certain that is the case. Thanks.
I did not see any on the CT I saw in person in Boston. Just went back to my photos and double-checked. None of those 'little round thingies' that generally indicate USS, at least....

CT is no different than other cars and trucks. There are only airbags on the sides for rear passengers in cars and trucks, so it would take a side impact to trigger those. There is no value (and maybe some risk) to firing them in a direct frontal collision. If you have kids, you need to have them in secured car seats or seat belts depending on the size of your kids.

Did you watch the dummy in the crash test video Tesla released?

I did not see any on the CT I saw in person in Boston. Just went back to my photos and double-checked. None of those 'little round thingies' that generally indicate USS, at least....
Thanks, I also didn’t see any on the CT I saw in person in San Jose CA last week. But I wonder if there could be some hidden in the bumpers somehow. Probably not; Elon seems pretty fixated on accomplishing everything with cameras. I’m not convinced that is the best approach, but I’m not an automotive engineer…

Back to the OP's question: After looking at the body frame at the delivery factory tour and the Top Gear video with Lars Moravy and Franz von Holzhausen reviewing the body, I think we have the answer.
  • The body frame is essentially a scaled up version of Model Y 4680, with some exceptions:
    • CT's frame is made of aluminum vs Y mostly steel
    • The stainless sail panels around the bed are load bearing and contribute significantly to torsional stiffness according to Moravy.
  • Load bearing ahead of the bed is internal, like any unibody car, and the stainless steel panels are not load bearing in any material capacity e.g. in a crash since they are divided at each roof pillar and as such unable to transfer any load.
  • From what I heard in the interviews, skin thickness has gone from 3mm at reveal to 1.8mm at launch, enabling front fenders to better fold away from the crumple zone. It's possible that the panels are of different thicknesses for different areas of the truck, idk.
Bottom line is the front crumple zone is essentially conventional

Last edited:

I was at the CT delivery event and looked at various production CTs on display. There were no visible sensors. Also for the doors, since they don't fully open automatically like the Model X front doors, there is no need for a door sensor. It only pops out about an inch. Now it's possible I missed one, but I really doubt it. Tesla has moved away from Ultrasonics on all other cars they make, so I don't see why they would bring it back on the CT.

Reactions: DanDi58 and ecarfan