Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"It was the little things that sold us on our Model 3. Turning the NAV into Mars, fart mode, arcade. They didn’t HAVE to put those in there, but they did."

I can't speak for others but no it wasn't those 'little things' that sold me on the Model 3 - not even close. They definitely didn't have to put those in there and I get mild amusement out of them doing so, though my bet is they did so for their own amusement and not mine. I would have bought it any way, I bought it for the big things - the high-range EV, fun and fast drive.

fair enough, to each their own eh?

People are making excuses for tesla.

"basic economics" isn't an excuse.

Tesla has to become reliably profitable or the company ceases to exist.

With the rebates ending they can't significantly bump prices much- so cutting costs is the only other option.

I had a coworker that just bought a perf model 3 and it didnt' come with a frunk mat. it should.

Why?

If Tesla found that 99% of owners rarely ever open the frunk in the first place... and that some decent % of them also tend to order aftermarket all-weather frunk mats... why waste $ on EVERY model 3 they build with the stock mats?

Let's looks at all those "necessities" (eg frunk hooks) that the big, arrogant Tesla has stolen from us.

Now, let's compare it to all the features that Tesla has added since the inception of the Model 3, and will continue to do so. All for -FREE-! Go ahead and tell me, which would you rather have, the frunk hooks, etc. or improved range and power, streaming, departure charging etc.

Of course, the poor selling Jaguar has those hooks. Maybe Jaguar can add all the great things Tesla gave us for free. Oh wait, they CAN'T.

So for all the whiners, go ahead and ignore basic economics and sweep all counter arguments as "blind fanboism". Go ahead and claim Tesla is/will suffer for taking away the all-important 14-50 adapters, especially when the "competition" arrives. And then tell us about the vaporware that makes up this future "competition" and how it's more than a match for Tesla. I think you'll need a bit more than $3 piece of plastic to prove your point.

"basic economics" isn't an excuse.

Tesla has to become reliably profitable or the company ceases to exist.

With the rebates ending they can't significantly bump prices much- so cutting costs is the only other option.

Why?

If Tesla found that 99% of owners rarely ever open the frunk in the first place... and that some decent % of them also tend to order aftermarket all-weather frunk mats... why waste $ on EVERY model 3 they build with the stock mats?

Because it's a 50k plus car (in the perf instance). They can put a $5 mat in the damn frunk. If somebody wants to replace it that's fine but not having one is just being cheap and looks unfinished. People are just making excuses for them. If they want to save money they can stop having to have cars triple touched by service after delivery. I say this as a 2 tesla owner. I love the company and the product but removing the frunk mat isn't going to be a decision that makes or breaks the company financially but it looks poor and incomplete.

Because it's a 50k plus car (in the perf instance). They can put a $5 mat in the damn frunk. If somebody wants to replace it that's fine but not having one is just being cheap and looks unfinished. People are just making excuses for them. If they want to save money they can stop having to have cars triple touched by service after delivery. I say this as a 2 tesla owner. I love the company and the product but removing the frunk mat isn't going to be a decision that makes or breaks the company financially but it looks poor and incomplete.

Nobody here is "making excuses". Nobody here is happy they removed the frunk mat. What we are saying is "yeah, it sucks, but it doesn't begin to rise above trivial."

And again I ask, what would you rather have, frunk hooks or increased range? What do you think adds more value to the car? You can't complain about one without taking into account the other. Both are changes that were made after you ordered the Model 3.

Putting it another way: If Tesla gave you a choice between frunk mats or one pedal driving, which would you take? Which one makes your car more valuable?

Because it's a 50k plus car (in the perf instance). They can put a $5 mat in the damn frunk.

They can. We know, because they did.

Ultimately they found it didn't make economic sense to keep doing so.

That's not an excuse, that's math.

We don't have access to the data they based that decision on- but we do know they should have data on how many owners actually use the frunk at all, and how often they do so.

Also how many buy (at least from Tesla) the all weather frunk mats.

Just as they had data we don't on how often homelink was used and that would've gone into their decision to remove that as a standard feature too.

(probably they have data on how often 14-50 adapters were used too, or a rough approximation of it)

Realistically there's not any explanation for removing these things other than economics. They felt the cost savings to Tesla was worth any unhappiness of future owners who didn't get them "free"- based on some analysis that included both the savings amount and data on how much those things were actually of use/value to owners.

Unless you think they're just trying to be mean or something.

Reactions: tracksyde
lol come on man. Nobody is arguing that they didn't save money by excluding the mat. My point is that the savings are minimal and is not worth the extra calls they probably get for it missing and/or the good will they lose because somebody now has to go buy a mat online. I'm fully aware of how economics work it just seems like a petty corner to cut to save what is probably at MOST a $5 part.

Let's just exclude the frunk all together and save the plastic bin. stats show people rarely use it. :p

lol come on man. Nobody is arguing that they didn't save money by excluding the mat. My point is that the savings are minimal

$5 per car (and if you include saved assembly time maybe higher) times 400k cars is 2 million dollars.

That's not nothing for a company that usually loses money in a quarter.

Next year they hope to produce 1 million cars- that's 5 million bucks.

and is not worth the extra calls they probably get for it missing

Given the service centers never answer the phone that's a cost of $0.00 :)

and/or the good will they lose because somebody now has to go buy a mat online.

Do they?

What if their data shows 90% of owners rarely if ever open the frunk at all?

Plenty of folks on here who mention they don't... I've had mine over a year and opened it maybe 3 times? And 1 of those was at delivery inspection.

Or if the data shows a huge 30% of users use it with any frequency, and their own all-weather-frunk-sales suggest most of those are using a different mat anyway?

I don't know the real % of course- but neither do you.

Tesla, the folks who actually made the decision, do know that.

You don't think they did the math on if it saved them money?

I'm fully aware of how economics work it just seems like a petty corner to cut to save what is probably at MOST a $5 part.

If they find it's not one most owners care about then they saved millions of dollars for little downside.

If you're fully aware how economics work that should make a lot of sense.

Let's just exclude the frunk all together and save the plastic bin. stats show people rarely use it. :p

Having no space at all would hurt their cargo capacity stat in comparisons/car classifications.

With a frunk it's 15 cubic feet total cargo. Without it's barely more than 12.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmmwv
Again, I understand the economics of removing the mat I just don't think it's a wise decision from a customer standpoint. It's not going to prevent somebody from buying the car obviously but it just seems petty. This is likely the most expensive vehicle most of the 3 buyers have ever purchased. Get rid of all plate frames, toy models, only give out a phone cable of the type they will use, deliver with 10% less charge, only give one key card, etc are other ways costs can be cut.

Alternatively offer it as a $5-$10 mat at delivery not a $35 mat online. Hell i'd even be OK with removing all mats by default and allowing the customer to pick what they want in the configuration wizard. However, just removing it and the customer likely finding out at delivery it's no longer included when their friends has one and they need to go online and get it IMO comes across, as noted, as petty.

Again, I understand the economics of removing the mat I just don't think it's a wise decision from a customer standpoint. It's not going to prevent somebody from buying the car obviously but it just seems petty.

If it saves Tesla millions of dollars a year and doesn't prevent someone from buying the car it seems pretty wise to me.

This is likely the most expensive vehicle most of the 3 buyers have ever purchased.

Eh... maybe?

A LOT of buyers are coming in from german luxury cars that are comparable if not more expensive though.

And at least some more from asian and domestic cars in this price range or higher.

Capital One: Value of Luxury Gas Cars Getting Slammed by Tesla Model 3 | CleanTechnica

That's a story about german lux cars getting killed on depreciation because so many current buyers want a Model 3 instead of a BMW or Mercedes or Audi now.

Get rid of all plate frames, toy models

Do they even do the models anymore? Back in 2018 I had to specifically ask and they had to dig around in a back room to still find one.

, only give out a phone cable of the type they will use

Great news! they stopping giving the cables at all quite some time ago according to most reports. (this might be a YMMV on end date like the models depending when a given delivery center ran out of em)

, deliver with 10% less charge

Quite a few folks have already complained about the SoC being so low they had to hit a charger on the way home from delivery.

This'd likely save a lot less than the $5 per car you were just complaining wasn't "worth doing" though.

10% of charge costs me 20 cents on L2 charging at home.

, only give one key card

Again this'd save less than the things you're upset they're saving money on. But I could definitely see them doing it.

, etc are other ways costs can be cut.

They are.

The 14-50 adapter, the phone cables, homelink, the hooks, allegedly door pocket lights I think I read?

Alternatively offer it as a $5-$10 mat at delivery not a $35 mat online.

That'd kill a lot of the savings- since now you have to keep them in stock at all delivery centers... and probably both carpet AND all weather ones too.

WAY more efficient to do central distribution online.

I mean- that's how you ordered the CAR so you ought be able to figure out ordering mats.

As to price $5 is less (by a fair bit) than the cheapest aftermarket frunk mat I can find online so that seems pretty low.

Hell i'd even be OK with removing all mats by default and allowing the customer to pick what they want in the configuration wizard. However, just removing it and the customer likely finding out at delivery it's no longer included when their friends has one and they need to go online and get it IMO comes across, as noted, as petty.

I do think Tesla could easily pick up some extra easy revenue, at the end of the configuration process by offering to take you to a page to buy dealer-delivered accessories... and then they just drop ship the stuff you order there to wherever the car is to be delivered from their central accessory distribution center.

Internal IT is kinda crap at Tesla though (see also their inability to even bill their own existing customers, for whom they already have credit cards on file, for data). Fixing that is a big push they're working on right now.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmmwv and Dionysius
Soooo... my 2020 VIN Model 3 LR AWD was delivered today. It has the grocery bag hooks. Also has the door pocket lights. No frunk mat though.

Attachments

• 1A6EB06C-AEB4-4F36-801F-F10238EC5FB4.jpeg
    1A6EB06C-AEB4-4F36-801F-F10238EC5FB4.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 137
What’s your build date on the door jamb sticker?
Build date is 10/19.

It seems when a customer has a question like “Where are the bag hooks?” the default answer for Tesla employees is, “Yeah it’s supposed to be like that. ” regardless of the question. Then it just sends us all into a downward spiral! When really the guy covering for lunch just messed up and forgot to install them.

Reactions: SigNC
Build date is 10/19.

It seems when a customer has a question like “Where are the bag hooks?” the default answer for Tesla employees is, “Yeah it’s supposed to be like that. ” regardless of the question. Then it just sends us all into a downward spiral! When really the guy covering for lunch just messed up and forgot to install them.

wonderful....lol what about the dead pedal? is it just carpet?

Build date is 10/19.

May I ask, when did you order?

This could be a sign that deliveries are now being made into the mountain time zone.

Am I missing something? Seriously folks......10 pages and counting on no Frunk hooks? And people are talking about cancelling orders and walking away from picking up cars if they pop the Frunk and see 2 screws where Frunk hooks should be? And some are talking lawsuits? Really?

Ski

• Disagree
Reactions: hmmwv