Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People wanted cheaper cars yet Tesla raised the price almost $1,000 on the SR+ and removed more physical features? I for one didn't order a SR+ (weighing in at $45k inc Tax, Tag & Title) expecting anything else be removed and I definitely wasn't notified of any additional hardware being removed. What I expected and what now appears to be getting rolled out are two different things.
OK

Interestingly, since you can only normally open the frunk via software, Tesla actually should know for a fact how much the frunk on the 3 gets used (in general, not specifically the hooks)

No idea if this data is what prompted them to make the change, but it's at least possible (same with the homelink change)

right, most importantly when the Frunk is used people notice and they're often interested to see what's inside. It attracts attention - the common "no engine" thing we've all experienced. I have no desire to use mine in public with the unfinished surfaces, exposed bolts, etc. The utility of the hooks is debatable but the aesthetic isn't - It's not a good look in the current state. I think competitors will eventually take advantage of.
IMG_0758.jpeg
3007a011-d87a-4c4c-a585-7d8a363d54d4-Jaguar_I-PACE_S_Indus_Silver_146.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 37
right, most importantly when the Frunk is used people notice and they're often interested to see what's inside. It attracts attention - the common "no engine" thing we've all experienced. I have no desire to use mine in public with the unfinished surfaces, exposed bolts, etc. The utility of the hooks is debatable but the aesthetic isn't - It's not a good look in the current state. I think competitors will eventually take advantage of.

I can just see the commercial now!

Sure our EVs have 2/3rds the range and efficiency of a Tesla, and/or cost more, and are generally slower, and offer inferior driver assists with no nationwide charging network... also they're only sold in like 1 out of every 5 states since they're really compliance cars we can't get enough batteries for... but check out how sweet our frunk looks in comparison!

Seriously though the point was if Tesla data shows 80% of owners only open their frunk like 3 times a year when somebody asks "Hey what's under there" it might well be they decided it's a place they can safely pull out some cost without most folks caring.

Reactions: AdamVIP
I use my frunk for camping or for bringing pizza home (doesn’t stink up the car).

I don’t think most people will even notice but if Tesla is trying to save money they should just mold some hooks into the plastic tub. Same feature, less money.

Sure our EVs have 2/3rds the range and efficiency of a Tesla, and/or cost more, and are generally slower, and offer inferior driver assists with no nationwide charging network... also they're only sold in like 1 out of every 5 states since they're really compliance cars we can't get enough batteries for... but check out how sweet our frunk looks in comparison!

Seriously though the point was if Tesla data shows 80% of owners only open their frunk like 3 times a year when somebody asks "Hey what's under there" it might well be they decided it's a place they can safely pull out some cost without most folks caring.

ever go to a national autoshow....you'd be surprised at what features sells cars. If it looked better and also had automated opening/close - it would be used much more often. I'm happy with my car, just a discussion to help down the road.

Model 3 All-Weather Cargo Mats

$70. And it will save you a fortune versus the cost of a new Jaguar.

• Informative
Reactions: camalaio

I had someone say "Ew! Gross!" when I pointed out our Model 3 has a plastic bumper (like every car on 2019 probably). She wanted to stick with her old metal-bumpered Jag. Then she saw the impressions from the dash on the driver's side door and just about lost it, swearing to never buy a Tesla because they're so tacky and poorly finished. Imagine showing someone like that a bare plastic frunk and saying "yes it costs $75k for this". They'd think you're mental and no one should ever buy one!

Perception is everything, something Tesla is very aware of since day one. We're nearly all owners here already, it's the perception of others that matters.

Reactions: adys123
right, most importantly when the Frunk is used people notice and they're often interested to see what's inside. It attracts attention - the common "no engine" thing we've all experienced. I have no desire to use mine in public with the unfinished surfaces, exposed bolts, etc. The utility of the hooks is debatable but the aesthetic isn't - It's not a good look in the current state. I think competitors will eventually take advantage of. View attachment 473398
3007a011-d87a-4c4c-a585-7d8a363d54d4-Jaguar_I-PACE_S_Indus_Silver_146.JPG

Yes, this is the correct type of comparison. The Model 3 shot is so ghetto by comparison. Looks more like an unfinished car than a luxury-sport vehicle (which is where it competes, pricewise).

I had someone say "Ew! Gross!" when I pointed out our Model 3 has a plastic bumper (like every car on 2019 probably). She wanted to stick with her old metal-bumpered Jag. Then she saw the impressions from the dash on the driver's side door and just about lost it, swearing to never buy a Tesla because they're so tacky and poorly finished. Imagine showing someone like that a bare plastic frunk and saying "yes it costs $75k for this". They'd think you're mental and no one should ever buy one!

Perception is everything, something Tesla is very aware of since day one. We're nearly all owners here already, it's the perception of others that matters.
Honestly when was the last year Jag made a car with a metal bumper? Hell for that matter when was the last time any manufacturer that sells I. The states used a metal bumper. That response is an outlier and irrelevant

And yet... Jag offers an EV... and almost nobody is buying it.

Tesla still can't build cars fast enough to meet demand (while selling a MASSIVE amount more than Jaguar)

It's almost like most buyers actually care more about things like range, performance, charging networks, etc than they do how nice the frunk interior looks.

Jaguar I-Pace US car sales figures

Sept 2019- 160 total sold in the US.

Tesla Model 3 US car sales figures

Sept 2019- Over 20,000 Model 3s sold in the US.

Ah you say, different class of car! I mean, kind of I guess...

Tesla Model X US car sales figures

Sept 2019- 1675 Model X sold in the US. Still more than 10x Jaguar despite a higher price tag.

Last edited:
That's because those changes haven't started hitting people en masse yet, we are just discovering Tesla's latest round of decontent.
You go into a Tesla show room and see a car that has all those stuff thus looks close to an entry level premium sedan, and couple months later you took delivery of one with no frunk mat, no floor mats, no hook, no 14-50 adapter, no pocket lights, no fog lights or park lights, etc...
This is in addition to the lack of widely available options in other premium sports sedans such as CarPlay/Android Auto, Homelink, 360 camera, heated steering wheel, adaptive headlight, wireless charging, roof sunshade, AM radio, ventilated seats, etc. For us who love Tesla and always wanted a Tesla those are small prices to pay, but to the general public who may not have done researches as thorough as us they will have a level of expectations that's in line with other cars in this price segment and with all those features, and that will not help sales down the road.

Yes, nothing say "premium" like AM radio!

Also homelink and the sunshade and wireless charging are available options

FWIW I had vented seats in my last car, loved them, and was sure it'd be by far the thing I missed in the Tesla.

But with the ability to set cabin temp to whatever I want before I ever leave work (or anywhere) to get into the thing, I really haven't.

Reactions: dandrewk and Arpe
And yet... Jag offers an EV... and almost nobody is buying it.

Tesla still can't build cars fast enough to meet demand (while selling a MASSIVE amount more than Jaguar)

It's almost like most buyers actually care more about things like range, performance, charging networks, etc than they do how nice the frunk interior looks.

Jaguar I-Pace US car sales figures

Sept 2019- 160 total sold in the US.

Tesla Model 3 US car sales figures

Sept 2019- Over 20,000 Model 3s sold in the US.

Ah you say, different class of car! I mean, kind of I guess...

Tesla Model X US car sales figures

Sept 2019- 1675 Model X sold in the US. Still more than 10x Jaguar despite a higher price tag.

this quote doesnt even make sense ...none of the people who are ordering cars even know they have been removed..and people who already have cars have their hooks.

you really dont know how to make an argument

I love how you feel so strongly about this even though it doesnt effect youi

its like you really want everyone who ordered after you to have some inferior product to make yourself feel better about your midrange model 3

this quote doesnt even make sense ...none of the people who are ordering cars even know they have been removed..and people who already have cars have their hooks.

I guess you didn't read most of the thread?

Since folks keep bringing up lots of OTHER things Tesla already, previously, removed.

None of which seem to make any difference to buyers since they keep buying them at 10-20 times the rate they buy the "nicer" jaguar EV for example.

I'd love to find the guy though who didn't care when they removed the phone cables, or 14-50 adapter, or homelink, or frunk carpet (all of which happened many months ago at this point and are well known)... but BAG HOOKS ARE THE LAST STRAW!

Probably the same guy who thinks AM radio is the key to a premium vehicle.

I love how you feel so strongly about this even though it doesnt effect you

You seem very confused.

I feel the opposite of strongly.

I think those, like yourself, who are clearly SUPER UPSET about it are hilariously overreacting.

its like you really want everyone who ordered after you to have some inferior product to make yourself feel better about your midrange model 3

Uh, I don't have a mid-range model 3.

So, once again literally nothing you've added to the thread is accurate or correct.

At least you are consistent :)

A lot of people on this thread are missing the point.

Let me give you an example. Anyone who has been in a long term relationship/marriage can tell you, it’s the little things that count. When I bring home a bouquet of flowers for my wife, or clean the house unexpectedly, it makes a huge difference in the long term health of our marriage.

With Tesla, a frunk hook isn’t objectively important. But that coupled with all of the little things it makes a big lasting impression. It shows that they care, that they value you enough to put a little extra time and money into something you may only use once.

Another example. We discovered after a few months of owning our GLC that Mercedes included a really cool collapsable basket in the trunk of our car. It was totally unexpected, but during a road trip it actually came in super handy. Now, we use it all the time and it’s a subtle reminder that Mercedes goes the extra mile.

It was the little things that sold us on our Model 3. Turning the NAV into Mars, fart mode, arcade. They didn’t HAVE to put those in there, but they did.

things to think about

It was the little things that sold us on our Model 3. Turning the NAV into Mars, fart mode, arcade. They didn’t HAVE to put those in there, but they did.

things to think about

But unlike physical hardware- none of those little things cost Tesla a per-vehicle amount of actual cash (and VERY little in the way of licensing or development cash either)

and you'll note they continue to add those types of things (netflix, spotify, hulu, youtube) while removing the per-car-cost ones when possible.

Last edited:
"It was the little things that sold us on our Model 3. Turning the NAV into Mars, fart mode, arcade. They didn’t HAVE to put those in there, but they did."

I can't speak for others but no it wasn't those 'little things' that sold me on the Model 3 - not even close. They definitely didn't have to put those in there and I get mild amusement out of them doing so, though my bet is they did so for their own amusement and not mine. I would have bought it any way, I bought it for the big things - the high-range EV, fun and fast drive.