Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm....... sorry, I don't get your point at all.
We are not trying to categorize car by utilities or usage. You need to look at the stats from Tesla car production point of view. Of course, you can choose another angle to analyze the data, but it would not be relevant to the discussion of this thread.

Let's put it this way, you are the Tesla CEO, and you know that you can produce two models based on the new compact chassis in the next 6 years. Which body style would you choose?
If you decide to base your decision on sales numbers, the choice is very clear cut. Sedan and SUVs/CUVs would have 72% of the potential market, the largest pie possible - Model 3 and Model Y. After that, you may see a Tesla pickup in the road map.

Why would you lump all the hatchbacks, wagons, SUVs together? They are all different cars and different designs. Tesla has limited production and development capacity. Bigger manufacturers would produce all variations including coupe and convertible to have the largest market share available. Tesla cannot do that.
Just want to point out that Mini has done just that, very successfully. Sharing of parts and assembly line, you can offer lots of shapes.

Just want to point out that Mini has done just that, very successfully. Sharing of parts and assembly line, you can offer lots of shapes.

Not only Mini, almost all established manufacturers do this too. Modern platforms are modular and flexible, and you can build different body style as long as you have time and money for development, and production capacity to accommodate the expansion of model lines.

Tesla would love to do it too, but they have not grown to that stage yet.

Mini sold 338,000 cars in 2015; Tesla 50,500.

Reactions: Luke42 and Zoomit
Clear cut, no not really. If you look at this differently you can just as easily make the claim that the vast majority of car buyers prefer cars that have easy access to load and store cargo.
That is why most buy liftbacks, hatchbacks, SUV's/CUVs and wagons. And if you toss in pick up trucks with easy access sedans become an even smaller percentage of cars sold.
US buyers like the perception of utility. If they valued actual utility, minivans would sell much more. If you consider how most SUVs are really used, a minivan blows it away with respect to utility.

We are not trying to categorize car by utilities or usage.

"We" are not trying to categorize cars at all. We are just trying to buy the car that fits us best. Overwhelmingly, those cars have large rear doors to access cargo. I have not heard a single reason that a sedan is a BETTER CAR. Which is the only thing Tesla should be looking at. There are zero statistics about which trunk option sells better in mid-priced high-range electric vehicles.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Ocelot
"We" are not trying to categorize cars at all. We are just trying to buy the car that fits us best. Overwhelmingly, those cars have large rear doors to access cargo. I have not heard a single reason that a sedan is a BETTER CAR. Which is the only thing Tesla should be looking at. There are zero statistics about which trunk option sells better in mid-priced high-range electric vehicles
What about the "single reason" that Elon gave? That within the aerodynamic design constraints, the sedan trunk yields a better car. "Better" is in Tesla's perspective of course, and they obviously prioritized rear seat headroom over cargo access. They also needed to distinguish the Model 3 from the Model Y.

This is all plowed ground.

Reactions: WarpedOne
In the U.S. Lots of people have 2 vehicles. A sedan and either a SUV or truck. A car can be used for utility but I most would rather keep the car clean and use the SUV/Truck for their utility needs. That being said, I drive a hatchback and I recently used it to drive back and forth to Lowes to pick up materials for almost 300' of privacy fence. If the trunk design yields better aerodynamics, that should really be the end of this argument.

Why? If there were two versions of the Model ≡, with exactly the same shape, interior and exterior, but one had the rear door hinged low, and one high, why would you choose the one hinged low?

Thank you kindly.
We have a CR-V if we need to move cargo. I'm looking for primarily a business car. I work for a nonprofit and do a lot of fundraising - I have to go out and meet donors all the time. A sedan is more professional-looking, has less road noise, etc. A trunk and frunk provide more than adequate room for anything i need to carry with me and, as Elon Musk pointed out, the sedan design gets you better headroom in the rear due to rearranging where the supports are placed.

We have a CR-V if we need to move cargo. I'm looking for primarily a business car. I work for a nonprofit and do a lot of fundraising - I have to go out and meet donors all the time. A sedan is more professional-looking, has less road noise, etc. A trunk and frunk provide more than adequate room for anything i need to carry with me and, as Elon Musk pointed out, the sedan design gets you better headroom in the rear due to rearranging where the supports are placed.

How can a car that looks the same inside and out, look more professional?

Thank you kindly.

How can a car that looks the same inside and out, look more professional?

Thank you kindly.

There are plenty of 5-door variants in Europe that look very similar to the conventional sedans. For a U.S. example, compare the BMW 4-Series "Gran Coupe" vs. the regular 3-Series sedan. The rear window is slightly less horizontal and the decklid is slightly longer on the 3-Series, but otherwise they look very similar. Also, the 5-door version of the Mazda 6 offered several years ago in the U.S. (and still offered in overseas markets) is similar. Ford also sells a 5-door variant of the Mondeo (sold in the U.S. as the Fusion).

3-Series

2015-BMW-328i-Side-Angle-640x400.jpg

4-Series Gran Coupe

2015-bmw-428i-gran-coupe-03.jpg

Ford Mondeo 5-door
2013-ford-mondeo-5-door-rear-static-600-001.jpg

Ford Fusion

2015-Ford-Fusion-Energi-rear-view.png

Generally, the closer you get to a limousine or executive sedan (MB S-class) the more professional a car will be perceived in the business world.

There are plenty of 5-door variants in Europe that look very similar to the conventional sedans.

Not sure how to make my question more clear. "with exactly the same shape, interior and exterior"

Thank you kindly.

They're not "exactly" the same, but close enough (especially the Ford) that I'd gladly trade the minor difference in styling for the added utility of the liftback. As I've said, I'm still disappointed the Model 3 is not a liftback, but not disappointed enough to cancel my reservation.