Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No headlights in heavy rain, seriously???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my car in solid rain today at high noon, and my headlights came on automatically. It was not super bright, but I am pretty sure it it was light enough that the headlights would not have come on last month. Has anyone else seen the headlights automatically turn on with the wipers since the 2022.40 or 2022.44 release? I am on 2022.44.2 now.

I drove my car in solid rain today at high noon, and my headlights came on automatically. It was not super bright, but I am pretty sure it it was light enough that the headlights would not have come on last month. Has anyone else seen the headlights automatically turn on with the wipers since the 2022.40 or 2022.44 release? I am on 2022.44.2 now.
I was wondering about this today. It wasn't raining but the lights were on and it was cloudy but still fairly bright out. I was thinking about this thread (and others like it) and thought to myself that it would be strange to ever have rain and be brighter than this so I was wondering if Tesla has tweaked the light levels they come on at (regardless of rain/wipers).

I'm on 44.2 also (first drive was today).

I've see this buried in other threads, but it was news to me. My 2020 MY happily turns on the wipers in heavy rain, but will not turn on the headlights automatically. Driving in the rain with wipers on and headlights off is illegal in many states, and certainly not safe. I had no idea until someone told me that I was hard to see on the highway. The absence of the little green headlight icon on the screen doesn't really jump out at you.

Apparently this has been going on for several software revisions. I wish there was a way to get this fixed right away.
My Honda Civic could manage the complexities of turning on the lights shortly after the wipers come on. It baffles me that my new “computer that’s also a car” can’t. And then to see that this problem has persisted for quite some time leads me to wonder what the heck I’ve got myself into.

Reactions: primedive
My Honda Civic could manage the complexities of turning on the lights shortly after the wipers come on. It baffles me that my new “computer that’s also a car” can’t. And then to see that this problem has persisted for quite some time leads me to wonder what the heck I’ve got myself into.
It's still a great car, just has some annoyances.

I think this could be a patent or licensing issue. Not many cars do this. And, Tesla used to do it, but they pulled it.