Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No HOV sticker for Model3 ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me and my brother test drove the Model S over the weekend to get the feeling of driving an electric car. We spoke with the sales during the test drive. The sales told us that Model3 will not be able to apply the white HOV sticker. Is that ture?? because one of the biggest reason i want an electric car is to ride on carpool lane during heavy traffic. Does anyone have more information about this matter??

Well, the current program ends for everyone on Jan 1, 2019. So unless the program is renewed, all sticker privledges go away then. Maybe that is what they meant? (The idea being if you haven't ordered a car yet, you wouldn't get it until 2019?)

If having an HOV sticker is important, you may want to consider a current EV to get more driving time out of the sticker (or cross your fingers that the program will be renewed - I haven't heard any news on that)

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky
Interesting. I guess it really depends on whether CA decides there are enough alternative fuel vehicles on the road. I would be surprised if they let it expire, to be honest. Electric cars are still a small percentage of total vehicles, and they will be for quite a while.

• Helpful
Reactions: Scannerman
I fully expect the white sticker program to continue for years.

Hopefully, they will make the white stickers themselves unnecessary and replace the display requirement therefor with a simple easily distinguishable license plate (hello, Arizona). Naturally, the license plate will probably cost $50/year versus the one-time $8 sticker fee, but it would be worth it to not have to suffer the ignominy of besmirching and simultaneously defacing one's chariot with those infernal stickers.

In short, they really do suck, along with the requirement to display a transponder box when a) the car is exempted along with 35 others due to the coated windshield and b) the cameras read the rear plate juuuuust fine in order to deduct the correct amount from one's account.

They could update the statutes accordingly which would reduce ticky-tack revenue-generating tickets (note it's a $481 fine to use the HOV lanes inland without the stickers displayed - even though the Tesla a) is virtually unchanged visually for 4 years, b) is recognizable by every LEO on the continent, and c) isn't likely to grow a tailpipe anytime soon.

Harrumph.
/goml

• Funny
Reactions: Genshi
Me and my brother test drove the Model S over the weekend to get the feeling of driving an electric car. We spoke with the sales during the test drive. The sales told us that Model3 will not be able to apply the white HOV sticker. Is that ture?? because one of the biggest reason i want an electric car is to ride on carpool lane during heavy traffic. Does anyone have more information about this matter??
?

I'd be much more concerned if I were buying a Green sticker car. I've owned 3 White sticker cars and the HOV lane access was a huge factor in their purchase. I don't think the White sticker is going to go away any time soon. Green stickers have almost run out already.

Always a risk that it doesn't get renewed. The white sticker makes all the difference. I started with a Rav4EV and now to a CPO Model S60. My guess is that the green sticker expires in 2019 and white stickers get an extension. Just think of all those CNG cars who have had white stickers (maybe clear color?) for so long. Also the white sticker will help boost fuel cell cars, unless they initiate a new color sticker for those types.

Assuming you are lost about the context, CA has a program that allows ZEVs and a certain amount of plugin hybrids to have access to HOV lanes without passengers.

Or you're just being funny. *shrug*

Thank you for the clarification. HOVs have two benefits: they double the effective mpg, but they also halve the traffic density. Halving the number of cars on the road would help a lot of people get to work faster.

Everyone hates "special interests groups".

Until they want their congressman shows special interest in them.

Except the alt-fuel HOV program isn't a special interest. It's in everyone's interest one way or the other. Not to mention the state program includes a growing list of vehicles, only a few of which are named Tesla.

Put another way, any list that includes the Fiat 500e by definition cannot be that special.

Except the alt-fuel HOV program isn't a special interest. It's in everyone's interest one way or the other.

People I work with pointed out that:

1) ZEVs pollute less than ICE SUVs when stuck in traffic,
2) We would have fewer air pollution days if trucks and SUVs used the HOV lanes, and ZEVs were stuck in traffic.

I think this is a short term view, but on a daily basis, it is in "everyone's" interest ...

People I work with pointed out that:

1) ZEVs pollute less than ICE SUVs when stuck in traffic,
2) We would have fewer air pollution days if trucks and SUVs used the HOV lanes, and ZEVs were stuck in traffic.

I think this is a short term view, but on a daily basis, it is in "everyone's" interest ...
A valid point, to be sure. But then it takes away the whole incentive to purchase an alternative fuel vehicle, doesn't it? :)

"Go green! Buy our electric car and sit in traffic! Watch the smoggers zip by you! Wait, where are you going?"

Reactions: kablammyman