Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No install of front license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t put a front plate on any of my cars in over 30 years. They’re fugly. Despite being ticketed for other things over the years, the missing front plate has only been an issue one time, when a state trooper used it as an excuse for a fishing expedition. As soon as he saw we were a harmless family of four he let us go with just a warning.
Agree. Haven’t put one on in 20 years. Never been an issue.

Reactions: Anna St
Front licenses are the law in California, but TEN percent do NOT put them on. Officers can ticket, but usually don't unless there's some other infraction. Then it's a twenty dollar fine, usually. I put a license on the front of a car for the first time with the 3, but before that I only got a ticket once in my life. Not sure I needed to do it. So I understand why a dealer wouldn't put one on. If you wanted it on, you should have asked for the service, and I would guess they should have billed you extra, which I would guess you would have expected for free.
Hey, it's only a couple screws! Sure you're busy, but I bet you sit and watch football or some other waste of time. None of us are so busy we can't screw a couple screws into a bumper -- it takes literally 5 minutes.

• Informative
My front plate is in the back seat pocket in a manila folder. It's been 2 years and nothing so far. I got pulled over once because I stopped too late at a 4 way intersection, just wanted to grill me.

Just in case I'm out of town I have it available to place on my windshield.

OC CA

Here in Illinois, the fine for not having a front plate is $100, and cops seem to love writing that ticket.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Quick Bandit, but I reminded myself that I’ll be leasing. So if Tesla wants to ruin their paint by sticking the OEM plate mount to the front bumper with double sided tape, they can knock themselves out.

Another fun thing is to just run dealer plates as long as you can. When i got my other non tesla i was able to just have the window sticker, this is before the printed paper plate, for 2 years! For the printed paper plates alot of people run them where the paper flaps like crazy so its not readable. All California*

I am fine stretching the legality of this because california plates rules are crazy relaxed still.

The only time you want to get plates front and back is if you plan to do things which you do not want to get pulled over for as an excuse. Like partying all night, transporting something you shouldn't, etc.
Otherwise if you got nothing to hide a nice chat with a cop maybe once a year and a 20$ Court/fix it ticket fee and a visit to a police station to get it signed off is the way to go.

• Funny