Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sleeping after 2021.4.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had their car stop sleeping after the latest update? I left on a trip last week and left my car at home. A camera in the garage has been reporting a "sound" event nearly every 15 min for over a week. The car stays awake for approx 15min, then you hear the relay click and it sleeps for 3-5 min, then you hear it click and wake back up starting the cycle again. My Unifi network logs also confirm this behavior. Before I left it was doing this some so I tried the following with no luck. No surprise my car is now draining about 5% per day jut chilling in a 70 degree garage.

1) Hard Reboot (Dozens of times)
2) Power Off in the menu
3) No 3rd party apps and even changed my Tesla password.
4) Disconnected USB devices
5) Switched from V3 wall connector to mobile connector
6) Turned off WiFi

I've been looking and have not seen anyone else report this, but after returning and trying all the troubleshooting steps again I'm looking at which issue type to file it under in the service section of the Tesla app. I've had my Dual Motor Model 3 for 2.5 years and never experienced this.. If anyone has a suggestion on something else to try that might help it sleep, I would appreciate your experience.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I have noticed the same issue. I drove 40 miles and left the car with 68% battery remaining. Came out 3 hours later and I was 60% battery remaining. Yesterday I parked it in the garage after a 40 mile round trip and found I lost 6% in a matter of 6 hours. I have not gone out to see if it is running but something is suddenly draining the battery since the latest 2021.4.11 update.

Reactions: TMXATX
Upvote 0
Has anyone had their car stop sleeping after the latest update? I left on a trip last week and left my car at home. A camera in the garage has been reporting a "sound" event nearly every 15 min for over a week. The car stays awake for approx 15min, then you hear the relay click and it sleeps for 3-5 min, then you hear it click and wake back up starting the cycle again. My Unifi network logs also confirm this behavior. Before I left it was doing this some so I tried the following with no luck. No surprise my car is now draining about 5% per day jut chilling in a 70 degree garage.

2) Power Off in the menu
6) Turned off WiFi

I've been looking and have not seen anyone else report this, but after returning and trying all the troubleshooting steps again I'm looking at which issue type to file it under in the service section of the Tesla app. I've had my Dual Motor Model 3 for 2.5 years and never experienced this.. If anyone has a suggestion on something else to try that might help it sleep, I would appreciate your experience.

I’ve been dealing with this since the first 2021.4.x release. I have had a service request open with Tesla since then and they say they have engineering looking into it. Here are my UniFi logs

I have narrowed it down that it only happens when left plugged in (both mobile and HPWC) so I currently leave it unplugged in my garage and it sleeps fine. I don’t know what the life on the HV contactors are but I figure cycling like that constantly isn’t good, plus it’s annoying as I can hear it in the house.

6304A27F-0563-4ED1-BEDA-CE2325463241.png

Upvote 0
I’ve been dealing with this since the first 2021.4.x release. I have had a service request open with Tesla since then and they say they have engineering looking into it. Here are my UniFi logs

I have narrowed it down that it only happens when left plugged in (both mobile and HPWC) so I currently leave it unplugged in my garage and it sleeps fine. I don’t know what the life on the HV contactors are but I figure cycling like that constantly isn’t good, plus it’s annoying as I can hear it in the house.

View attachment 644090
I left my car plugged in while I was on a trip, so it's interesting you say it sleeps when you unplug it. I'll try unplugging and see what happens. My Unifi logs look the same. Did you open the service ticket under software?

My parents have a 2019 Model 3 linked to my account, I noticed they don't have the issue. They did get a few different versions of the 2021.4 update. I just went direct from 2020.48.37.1 to the 2021.4.11. The only difference between our cars is mine had the FSD computer retrofit last April.

Upvote 0
I left my car plugged in while I was on a trip, so it's interesting you say it sleeps when you unplug it. I'll try unplugging and see what happens. My Unifi logs look the same. Did you open the service ticket under software?

My parents have a 2019 Model 3 linked to my account, I noticed they don't have the issue. They did get a few different versions of the 2021.4 update. I just went direct from 2020.48.37.1 to the 2021.4.11. The only difference between our cars is mine had the FSD computer retrofit last April.
I did and initially asked them to repush thinking it was an issue with the first 2021.4 release but it didn’t change anything so I have been messaging back and forth with them and I keep moving my service date out to keep the ticket open.
Before I figured out it was only while plugged in I left sentry mode on to stop it from cycling so much.

I had this happen last March as well with 2020.12 but 2020.12.1 fixed it.

Upvote 0

2) Power Off in the menu
6) Turned off WiFi

Try turning off your Data sharing un-check the boxes. No issues with mine going into a deep sleep.

Attachments

• B37CF8E7-F35D-45B9-B2B0-2F64E51826CF.jpeg
    B37CF8E7-F35D-45B9-B2B0-2F64E51826CF.jpeg
    836.3 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

Are you sure it was a true Hard Reboot? I ask only because it would be odd to do this procedure "dozens of times." If it was the double thumb-wheel reboot, that is a soft reset.

If you haven't yet, try a Power Cycle as described in the manual (copied below). If that doesn't work, then do the Hard Reboot. If it still persists, then a Service Center visit is needed.

POWER CYCLE
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off .
  3. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc.
  4. After two minutes have passed, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Are you sure it was a true Hard Reboot? I ask only because it would be odd to do this procedure "dozens of times." If it was the double thumb-wheel reboot, that is a soft reset.

If you haven't yet, try a Power Cycle as described in the manual (copied below). If that doesn't work, then do the Hard Reboot. If it still persists, then a Service Center visit is needed.
Thanks! I did both the soft and hard reboot with the power off steps several times, sadly.

With the info above from SK360 I have found found that my car will sleep only when unplugged regardless of anything else I try. So for now leaving it unplugged is a workaround, but I went ahead and opened a ticket with the details so hopefully I’m another datapoint for what’s hopefully just a software bug.

Upvote 1
Thanks! I did both the soft and hard reboot with the power off steps several times, sadly.

With the info above from SK360 I have found found that my car will sleep only when unplugged regardless of anything else I try. So for now leaving it unplugged is a workaround, but I went ahead and opened a ticket with the details so hopefully I’m another datapoint for what’s hopefully just a software bug.
You removed power to the 12V battery and contactor multiple times? Or are you confusing power cycling through menu with hard reset?

Upvote 0