Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No more $5,000 EV Rebate for BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You actually get the grant when the VIN# is issued. I take delivery of my car March 26th and got the grant. It is in my contract and Tesla was adamant that I would get the rebate. Jon, who I too the test drive with and placed my order through, said that he was in contact with the people in charge of the grant daily and assured me that I would get it. There were about 60 left in the last week of January and they were all gone by Feb.14th.

Yes, that's right. I called them right when the program was cut off in Feb, since I wasn't taking delivery until March, and they also told me my grant has been processed even though at that time I had only paid the $2.5K deposit.

I think they will introduce a new program soon.. They promote it so much they have to.. I remember a year ago when I picked up my car, it was about to expire and at the 11th hour they extended it another year..

I hope they reinstate it in the new budget year (April).

Hasn't the budget already been introduced?:

http://bcbudget.gov.bc.ca/2014/default.htm

It's just a formality for it to pass the legislature in April since the Liberals control the majority. I guess they can always introduce a new program, but in these days of budget restraints leading to cutting ferry routes, if the Liberals haven't extended it by now (like they did last time) and didn't include it in the budget, I can't see it happening despite the lobbying effort. Cutting ferry routes, while giving the owners of $100,000+ cars rebates doesn't go over well. I know there are Leafs, etc. and it's good to promote EV's. I am all on board. I am just stating that I won't hold my breath that it's coming back any time soon.

You actually get the grant when the VIN# is issued.

Thanks for the correction. In early Jan, before committing, I was told you had to actually take delivery, so I was concerned about the timing. Then I luckily was able to suddenly buy (and "take home") an inventory car, which made the normal ordering process moot for me. I appreciated the grant very much, since this was a cantwaitforModelEandlook!TSLAwentupagain! stretch purchase anyway. (sooooooooo glad I did it! :) )

I appreciated the grant very much, since this was a cantwaitforModelEandlook!TSLAwentupagain! stretch purchase anyway. (sooooooooo glad I did it! :) )

I was planning to wait for the Model E as well, but the 3+ year wait, the expiring grant, the Canadian dollar's decline (I suspect there will have to be a price increase if the dollar continues to weaken and remains lower), the Supercharger route covering my twice annual drive to Edmonton and a lower than expected insurance quote all combined to force me into a Model S. I'm sure I won't regret it! I'd like to see HOV access for EVs in BC, but I understand the argument against it.

They're making excuses, which suggests that they do not have the evidence on their side. They knew exactly how much was left and when, because the NCDA was keeping a running tally. They knew exactly what was needed to process the application--and certainly never asked me to provide any additional information nor suggest to me that there was likely to be a timing issue.

Furthermore, the first I heard about this was here--and it took two attempts to get an answer out of them about whether or not they had processed the rebate, fully four weeks after the funds were exhausted.

I perfectly understand that once the fund was empty, it was empty--but it is absolutely inexcusable not to communicate with a customer who has ordered a vehicle in the expectation of a $5000 rebate and to take proactive steps to inform that customer than he won't. Would they have simply waited until I got my invoice and let me discover it there? What if I had already arranged financing on the basis of an amount due on completion $5000 less than required?

It looks like there is hope of a return of the rebate someday, thanks to VEVA. Here is the government report on budget consultation / recommendations.

http://www.leg.bc.ca/cmt/40thParl/s...-on-Budget-2015-Consultations-2014-NOV-13.pdf

See page 37 item 55

Interesting. Thank you for sharing that!

Note also the section on page 34 titled "Electric Vehicles":

"The Committee received a significant number of written and form letter submissions on the topic of electric vehicles. Electric Mobility Canada, a national not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting electric mobility, stated that increased adoption of electric vehicles in BC is important to achieving greenhouse gas reduction targets, improving urban air quality, and stimulating economic growth. Other groups, including electric vehicle companies and the Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association, similarly stated that the environmental benefits of electric vehicles can be instrumental in achieving Clean Energy Act goals. Submitters stated that, despite the proven successes of previous government programs and incentives, the last provincial budget reduced support for electric vehicles and infrastructure"

Last edited:
Wow...this thread really depressed me. Didn't realize there was aBC luxury vehicle surtax. Thought I had to pay 12% now it's 15% and there's no EV incentives. Expecting delivery in 3.5 weeks so any EV rebate changes won't apply to me either. I was really pushing it adding extra options and accessories, if I knew there was an extra 3%, I would have cut back. Anyways, glad I read this thread, now it's time to apply for even more financing. :frown: