Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No new CA superchargers in over 4 months....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the supercharger network is too busy to be relied upon, then your tesla can't really do roadtrips and is just another in-town electric car like an i3 or leaf, except better looking. Overcrowding combined with recent reports of slow charge rates reduces the value of a tesla.

If I go ahead with my M3 purchase, I'm doing it with the expectation that the SC network isn't really functional and road trips aren't reliably possible, so it's really just a city car and there's no point of spending more for the battery upgrade. For a city car a 215 mile battery capacity is just as good as 300.

To take our minds off the long waits & slow charging Elon gave us the Doodle pad...brilliant!
Elon Musk on Twitter

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 1.50.24 PM.png

Reactions: EVCarGUy
You're right. There was a lull at the same time last year too.

Also, by the way, I saw some new stalls added to Petaluma when I charged there last weekend. I don't know how long it's been, but I thought they had more stalls than when I last visited about a year ago.

How do you know they're doing that?

I believe they added temporary pedestals in Barstow and Ft. Tejon. What else are you referring to, BerTX? I have not seen or read of any construction underway at other sites. :)

Where? All I know of is 4 added at Wheeler Ridge.

Sorry if that is incorrect. I thought I had read that in reports here on TMC. I don't have any specific locations, I just thought that was reported.

I think the vandals are winning the race, putting more out of commission than Tesla is able to build. Maybe that's part of the issue -- they are having to put measures in place to stop the destruction before building more targets.

Interesting. Something else I've been out of the loop on. Have there been supercharges that have been put out of commission from vandalism???

Yes, read about them here on the forum. Believe SoCal mostly and some north of there. Remember one post about theft of breakers. Also read, probably in the same thread, the reason there are some guard or station attendants at certain locations. This was confirmed by a fellow MS owner who we chatted with at the Gilroy SC who told us they routinely travel from northern Calif to San Diego and saw the "attendants".

Not a single permit, construction, or opening of a supercharger in California in over 4 months. That must be record. Yet it's CA that has the most SCs with lines and long waits.
Residents of the State of North Dakota and SE Arizona including Tucson are amazed by this and similar posts from Californians. They don't have your problem of waiting times at Superchargers (or Service Centers, for that matter). Lucky them, huh?

How do you know they're doing that?
They are adding some to Dublin as we speak. (Only 4, though.) Supercharger - Dublin. I ran out to my car to see if there are more than the old 10 activated there, and there aren't; the 4 additional must still be unavailable.
I think the vandals are winning the race, putting more out of commission than Tesla is able to build. Maybe that's part of the issue -- they are having to put measures in place to stop the destruction before building more targets.
I suspect they suspect the suspects are the builders themselves, and they don't want to give any more building business to those who are tearing down the very things they're paying them to build. But, they're not sure, so they don't know who to hire, so they suspended all of them. That would put a kink in it.
If I go ahead with my M3 purchase, I'm doing it with the expectation that the SC network isn't really functional and road trips aren't reliably possible, so it's really just a city car and there's no point of spending more for the battery upgrade. For a city car a 215 mile battery capacity is just as good as 300.
Another way to look at it is the 300 battery gives you larger range from home and more flexibility in finding those not as busy SuperCharger stations, thus enabling long distance travel. Also, it helps on days with lots of errands, appointments and/or meetings, especially in winter.

---

I think there's a sense at Tesla that the main problem with long distance travel isn't those trips that require SuperChargers to get to the destination, but those long distance travels which wouldn't require SuperChargers at the last leg if they had a Destination Charger so that when you get back in you are on your way and could either reach home or at the very least require a fewer number of SuperChargers. I know for me that is true: only about 1/2 of my SuperCharger stops would be necessary if I knew I always had a Destination Charger to plug in to. However, a lot of the time, that Destination is wilderness or a friend's house, and those locations simply don't have the flexibility to accept me plugging in.

Here's my latest trip destination: notice how even though there's plenty of energy available, there's no way for me to plug in to it, and not even any type of indication that any of it is electric:
small-IMG_3108.JPG
small-IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3117.JPG

Last edited: