Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Premium Connectivity - Tricks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t want to pay the $13.99+tax CAD monthly for Premium Connectivity. I’ve got enough monthly subscriptions already and I don’t feel as though I’m missing out on much.

Something that I do miss, is using Spotify. I liked being able to choose different playlists, artists, etc. on screen, without having to use my phone.

I have found a way to trick? the Spotify app on my Model Y to continue playing. What I’ve found is that if you’re parked, you can connect to your phone’s hotspot, start playing a playlist through WiFI, and once you put it in drive, it’ll continue playing (via Hotspot/WiFi). You’re able to skip tracks back and forth, however, if you try switching playlists or going to another artist, it’ll stop altogether. It’s something, thought I’d share.

Am I missing anything? Are there any other tricks to squeeze out more functionality without premium connectivity?

(Doubt anyone from Tesla will read this post. I guess we’ll know when the next update squashes this workaround… IF YOU ARE READING THIS, JUST LET ME USE SPOTIFY ON HOTSPOT WHILE I DRIVE. COME ON, WE ALL KNOW YOU CAN.)

There's a chart displaying what premium features are available when connected to a hotspot

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included
Premium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
There's a chart displaying what premium features are available when connected to a hotspot

Connectivity PackagesStandard
Included
Premium
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization-
Satellite-View Maps-
Video Streaming*⁺⁺-
Caraoke*-
Music Streaming*⁺-
Internet Browser*-
* Accessible over Wi-Fi for Standard Connectivity

*⁺ A paid subscription to streaming services is required to access music and media streaming

Well crap, that sucks. I don't like that I will not be able to watch YouTube via YouTube app. Since the internet browser works I think I can still watch imbedded video's when connected via hotspot. Guess I will just enjoy video's on my phone after the free connectivity expires.

Keith