Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Rear License Plate Frame?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like how in the article Tesla said it was to further remove chrome from the vehicles, yet they didn't include a blacked out plate frame and instead are selling them to us. Tesla, please stop reducing costs at your customers expense. Elon said Tesla wasn't like legacy Auto but it kind of is.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I like how in the article Tesla said it was to further remove chrome from the vehicles, yet they didn't include a blacked out plate frame and instead are selling them to us. Tesla, please stop reducing costs at your customers expense. Elon said Tesla wasn't like legacy Auto but it kind of is.
I’m sure I’ve got one you can have stuffed in my garage somewhere… I never put those tacky things on my cars.

$40! I'm glad I took an extra LaCroix at delivery.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-y-license-plate-frame

As a side note, have you noticed most folks are putting the license plate UNDER the tabs? C'mon.
1696906753389.png

$40 for a license plate frame, what a scam!
Right. Unless you want one in carbon fiber for $120.

And $40 is a good deal compared to here too...

Last edited:
Right. Unless you want one in carbon fiber for $120.

And $40 is a good deal compared to here too...

Just insanity! lol

I purchased the Weathertech ClearCover, M5 12mm bolts and M5 Flat Washers for my rear plate. Plate looks pristine so far as the plate looks clean as when I recieved it.
In my State it's illegal to cover the plate with anything. But I think I'm just not going to have a plate frame on it. Back in the day I used to hate it when dealerships would put their plate frames on my car. It was the first thing I took off because I don't do free advertising.

In my State it's illegal to cover the plate with anything. But I think I'm just not going to have a plate frame on it. Back in the day I used to hate it when dealerships would put their plate frames on my car. It was the first thing I took off because I don't do free advertising.

Yes, to be correct it is illegal in some states or countrie(s) to have a cover.

I have driven in US and Canada without issue with this cover even though it is not legal where I am in. In a way, it is better compared to the smoked/dark colored covers which ntentionally make the plate harder to see which I often see on the road on a daily basis.

If preferred, you can go with the other Weathertech license plate frames which do not cover the plate.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it is illegal almost everywhere just not enforced. Got a ticket about 10 years ago while the car was parked with a plate frame from the dealership. See so many plate frames every day that are technically illegal however the law is very rarely enforced. Just did a quick search and this came up.

Pretty sure it is illegal almost everywhere just not enforced. Got a ticket about 10 years ago while the car was parked with a plate frame from the dealership. See so many plate frames every day that are technically illegal however the law is very rarely enforced. Just did a quick search and this came up.

Oh, I saw the CTV video news video too a while back about that same person in the link.

Also, found this one which this person was being silly.

Last edited: