Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No rear lights in park!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

As the title says, got out to check my mailbox and found the rear of the car completely dark!

Have checked, and brake lights work in park, and rear lights + license plate lights are on when in drive, but not in Park....!

Can someone post back if this is just me or a software bug on all Ys?

Headlights are on as in the picture.

20200905_203804.jpg

Reactions: TMYToday
I have heard rumors that a software update coming soon will offer more control for the headlights and parking lights. As currently they turn off quickly once the driver exits the vehicle. This is coming from a police station in Connecticut that is using a Model 3 as a police car and they are working with Tesla on improvements needed to the software so that it better meets their needs. What I don't know is if the changes will be available to everyone, or just police cars. (I see no reason that better light controls wouldn't be available to everyone.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Kendall
This seems like a major safety issue. A simple software update easily fixes this. When I was stationed in Europe and bought European cars we noticed they also had rear fog lights (makes sense) and one of the rear fog lights could be turned on as often you had to park half on a sidewalk and half on a very narrow street that offered some visibility and hopefully prevented someone from flowing into your car. To this day I don't understand America's reluctance to adopt some of these "common sense" safety features. It's almost like we are saying if it's not invented here it's not worthwhile.

When I was stationed in Europe and bought European cars we noticed they also had rear fog lights (makes sense)

From driving near the Pacific Ocean regularly, I truly think the rear fog light is more useful than front ones. However, I also think most people around here use their front fog lights as just an extra set of headlamps (these are probably the same people who use their high beams in the fog) and wouldn't even bother turning on the rear fog light.

and one of the rear fog lights could be turned on as often you had to park half on a sidewalk and half on a very narrow street that offered some visibility and hopefully prevented someone from flowing into your car.

Europe has way more narrow city streets than the US. I've had this feature in a British car and, I think, an Italian one as well, but almost never saw the need for it in California.

Wait doesn't every cars tail lights turn off when the car is in park and turned off?

Your headlights are only on because you have them set to stay on after the car is off.

The tail lights stay on until you get out of the seat lol. It functions exactly like it should. It functions exactly like a normal car. You parked and got out.

Reactions: CO_MY
Wait doesn't every cars tail lights turn off when the car is in park and turned off?

Your headlights are only on because you have them set to stay on after the car is off.

The tail lights stay on until you get out of the seat lol. It functions exactly like it should. It functions exactly like a normal car. You parked and got out.

This is a Tesla only problem that does not function as it should. I would put an ICE car in Park, leave the engine running, and get out to collect mail. All exterior lights remain on.

As you said all rear lights on the Tesla turn off once you leave the drivers seat (headlights stay on if chosen by headlights after exit setting). I'm not "turning the car off" or locking the doors and I expect the rear lights to stay on along with the headlights.

(So more-or-less complaining that there are options, but you don't want do any of them so it must be a Tesla SW bug :rolleyes:).

- Front headlights are on and provide a lot of illumination, so you could park in front of the mailbox, but that wouldn't be "practical".
- Tesla specifically has a function/mode that takes a few seconds to use, but that wouldn't be "practical".

(How much do rear lights give off anyhow?)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
(How much do rear lights give off anyhow?)

@mark95476 I don't think it's about how much light they give off. In a dark setting like @Medic's pic in the OP, you can barely see the back of the car without the taillights illuminated. Typically, taillights light up when the headlights are on so that other vehicles can clearly tell where your car is while it's running, whether or not it's moving.

Reactions: BitJam
The car needs to turn off and lock without a key. How is it supposed to know you want the lights to stay on unless you tell it? Yes with a gas car you can leave the key in and leave it running. I live in NY. I'd rather my Tesla turn off and lock then be driven away.

The solution is simple. Push the hazard light switch. It's above your head. It's better than parking lights if you are stopped on the side of a road.

@mark95476 I don't think it's about how much light they give off. In a dark setting like @Medic's pic in the OP, you can barely see the back of the car without the taillights illuminated. Typically, taillights light up when the headlights are on so that other vehicles can clearly tell where your car is while it's running, whether or not it's moving.

Exactly. Thx.
With option selected for headlights to stay on after exit I think it's a reasonable ask for the tail lights to stay on as well.

Exactly. Thx.
With option selected for headlights to stay on after exit I think it's a reasonable ask for the tail lights to stay on as well.

My gas car leaves the headlights on but not the tail lights on exit though so this is functioning the same. Even if tesla said ok we will have the tail lights stay on with the headlights. They will turn off in a few seconds with the headlights.

The walk away headlights are to help you see while walking away. Not to help people see the car. The way you turn on parking lights even in a gas car is you turn them on manually. If you get out with the car running still those are your driving lights.

What's funny is the threads from a few years ago complained the lights took to long to turn off and the car took too long to lock when walking away. Some people even complained that when you turn on parking lights they will stay on till next drive.

Exterior lights (headlights, tail lights, side marker lights, parking lights, and license plate lights) are set to AUTO each time you start Model 3. When set to AUTO, exterior lights automatically turn on when driving in low lighting conditions. If you change to a different setting, lights always revert to AUTO on your next drive.