Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Regen after winter tire install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since a few people have seen this issue, I do have a theory on it of something the car might be doing. Tires have a number in their specifications that is revolutions per mile. That is a measure of the outside circumference of the tire. When you change tires, you want that to be really close, so your speedometer stays accurate. It might seem unlikely, but I wonder if a little difference in that is deceiving the car somehow into thinking there is a wheel slippage and traction problem going on. Say for instance, if it is measuring the speed by the GPS or autopilot sensor systems, but it is a little different from what the speedometer is reading from the rotation of the wheels. Maybe there is some programming to disable regen if it thinks that is a safety problem.

That would be a slightly odd bit of programming or a parameter being too sensitive, but it's about the only thing I can think of that would be related to tire differences.

I'm getting more certain that my prediction is right, that the car is detecting speed from the tire rotation + another method, and it's mis-diagnosing the different measurement from tire circumference as an indication of a problem or wheel slippage.

So I put winter tires on a little over 2 weeks ago. Did it all my self at the auto hobby shop. Put the model 3 on the frame lift then un-mounted the OEM tires from the aero wheels. Then remounted the aero wheels with Nokian Hakka 9s replaced the wheels and took the car off the lift. I had Regen right away at the same level as before. Then I remounted the OEM all seasons to 18”ENKI’s with TPMS sensors from tire rack that I will put on the car probably in May. We have a LR AWD 3.

As soon as the snow fell 2 weeks ago I turned Regen to low and will leave it there all winter. Yesterday just for fun I set Regen back to normal and going down hill at ~30 mph abruptly took my foot off the accelerator and was able to slide under full Regen.

Reactions: noicepls
So I put winter tires on a little over 2 weeks ago. Did it all my self at the auto hobby shop. Put the model 3 on the frame lift then un-mounted the OEM tires from the aero wheels. Then remounted the aero wheels with Nokian Hakka 9s replaced the wheels and took the car off the lift. I had Regen right away at the same level as before. Then I remounted the OEM all seasons to 18”ENKI’s with TPMS sensors from tire rack that I will put on the car probably in May. We have a LR AWD 3.

As soon as the snow fell 2 weeks ago I turned Regen to low and will leave it there all winter. Yesterday just for fun I set Regen back to normal and going down hill at ~30 mph abruptly took my foot off the accelerator and was able to slide under full Regen.
It’s post like yours that have taught us it seems to be a RWD issue. Thank you.

Just got a new software update for my Model 3 RWD: updated to 42.2.1 from 41.2 (it only took just five minutes for the update installation). The release notes mention only two things: 1. increased regen (wonder if this is the fix for our regen issues???), 2. key fob feature for the Model 3. The car will be taken out for a test drive tomorrow in the snow that's expected tonight.

No issues with my AWD. Even at highway speeds. I had Tesla install X-ICE Xi3 235/45-18 that I ordered from TireRack.

00904D6E-B8BD-4BCD-92EC-E201A1779B2E.jpeg
E967FAA2-17F6-41E1-8D5E-18E390A39B9B.jpeg