Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No satellite radio with all glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main reason I got the pano roof was for the satellite radio, the other was the extra inch of headroom it provides. I don't stream music in the car as I often find cellular reception (originally HSPA, now LTE) worse than satellite. I also find the use of the cellular network for streaming broadcast media an incredible waste of resources. XM audio quality is acceptable, better than Sirius. I find it peculiar that Tesla cannot find a place to integrate an S-band antenna under the windshield, glass roof, or tailgate window, it appears to be a marketing decision.

We primarily use our SiriusXM radio for "live" broadcasts - news and sports, which is especially useful while we are travelling.

Since SiriusXM also offers access to stations over the Internet, Tesla could also provide the ability to access SiriusXM via streaming, which would be useful for the non-sunroof cars. At least for sports broadcasts, they actually offer more streaming than satellite channels, allowing you to listen to the broadcasts for either the home or away games. We've used our smartphone a couple of times to do that when we preferred to listen to our home broadcasters than the broadcast from the opposing team.

Kind of sad that they can't find a place for the XM antenna. While I prefer steaming, I occasionally drive places where there is no streaming service and XM has been great for those times. I actually drive about every other weekend through the mountains for ski patrol and spend about an hour where I either would need to download music ahead of time or listen to silence.

Reactions: vdiv