Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No self presenting door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That has been made clear in the past. The handles will be as shown in the prototypes we have seen, and will work as @brkaus described.

Yes, it sounds like the handles have not changed in function from the prototype but it was never confirmed. Remember there was two different designs as the time and employees were the ones opening the doors. They were also using two hands to open the doors so it was not a finished product.

They also mentioned in the conference call that the Model 3 will not have the self presenting doors.

Yes, it sounds like the handles have not changed in function from the prototype but it was never confirmed. Remember there was two different designs as the time and employees were the ones opening the doors. They were also using two hands to open the doors so it was not a finished product.

They also mentioned in the conference call that the Model 3 will not have the self presenting doors.
Now that is tragic.... :(

Cs5oXSw.gif
I like how those look, but it seems like they require you to use the left hand on the driver door and right hand on passenger door to open. Often I pop the door open with my right hand and then grab the door to get in. These will take some adjustment on my part.

Sure they look fine but to me these seem functionally inferior to regular door handles in every way. Honestly the best thing I think could happen here (at this point) is that as part of the tech package the door will auto open when I'm close enough.

Maybe my opinion will change when I actually try the door handle myself but I have a feeling it'll be one of the more annoying things about the car.

Reactions: DavidP and William3
I can see women with long fingernails NOT being impressed with this operation. I know men are supposed to open doors for the ladies, but honestly, 100% of the time? :rolleyes: And women that own/drive the car solo? :eek:

This. My fingernails aren't long and I don't think I have horrible depth perception, but I've certainly noticed what looks like lots of tiny scratches around the driver's door handle of my current vehicle - so I guess I'll have to be extremely careful with the Model 3's door handles. That or start wearing gloves year-round. :confused:

This handle style is very similar to what Aston Martin and Jaguar use except their handle profile is just a straight pull, not "hockey stick" on the 3. In my opinion, the pull part of the handle on the 3 looks a bit thin and weak. I'm sure it really isn't weak as it's probably cast/machined metal of some sort, but looks cheap. As something you will grab every day, want something that feels quality and durable.

if the doors self open you wont be pulling hard on them, just barely move them and the door opens.

I can see women with long fingernails NOT being impressed with this operation. I know men are supposed to open doors for the ladies, but honestly, 100% of the time? :rolleyes: And women that own/drive the car solo? :eek:

Around here, the women I see with super long fingernails come from the types of neighborhoods where no one can afford a Tesla. So this should be a non-issue.

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
I like how those look, but it seems like they require you to use the left hand on the driver door and right hand on passenger door to open. Often I pop the door open with my right hand and then grab the door to get in. These will take some adjustment on my part.
Actually, if you look at the video you quoted you can see he is using the opposite hand then the one intended. So your right hand will work if you use your thumb to pop the door open and then grab the edge of the door like he's doing in the video.

Actually, if you look at the video you quoted you can see he is using the opposite hand then the one intended. So your right hand will work if you use your thumb to pop the door open and then grab the edge of the door like he's doing in the video.
That's what I'm saying... I often open my driver's side door with my right hand (this is passenger door being opened with left hand, so same thing). It would be nearly impossible with this handle. The only reason this guy is able to is because he's got his hand wrapped around the door edge.

"Just one more thing to break." How many times have I heard that? Electric windows, electric seats, power steering, radios, windshield wipers,, yada yada. How about ten moving parts in the drive train, instead of 700?

There was an issue with door handles at first, taken care of no charge. Then the same big complain with falcon wings. The point is that these things were signature features (not a bug) and now everyone expects projecting handles on a Tesla. Did it work? You bet! Same with Falcon Wing Doors. People see that and want to know more. This is why Tesla doesn't have to advertise.

Sure, there will always be teething issues. Most drivers realize this, and if it happens to them, get it fixed and enjoy the ride. My first S had the handles replaced. My second one never had handle problems, but had a squeak in the pano, that's all. Fixed in 15 minutes. Hardly an issue. But there were still some people who pointed out, again: "Pano roof? Just another thing to break." Sorry. I like my S. And Tesla. They wouldn't be where they are if the cars broke down all the time.

Many owners have reported the out of warranty cost to replace the self presenting door handles to be about $1,000 per handle. Sure everyone who had them replaced under warranty paid nothing, but warranties don't last forever.

Motor Trend mate demonstrates how to open them with a "single fluid motion". At 2:43

credit to /u/Gargantuon on reddit for linking this.
Thanks, this video helps me understand how they work, when I first saw them I thought it would take two hands to open them. One to push in and one to grab it and pull out. Now I can see how easily they work. One question.... how will this design work if your car is blasted with snow/ice? It seems like water could get into the space where the handle pushes in and freeze such that it won't open.

IMO self-presenting door handles are just one more thing that can go wrong, and utterly unnecessary. I do like the way my 2004 Prius does it: Touch the inside of the door handle and it unlocks if it detects the key fob in my pocket. No need to pull out the fob.

You don't need to pull out the fob for the handles to present. I never do.

I like the self-presenting handles but they are not something you would expect on an economy car so no surprises here.

Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk hints at possible heads-up display, releases details about screen, battery, and more
During the call, Musk also reiterated that Model 3 will not have some of the “bells and whistles” in Tesla’s previous vehicles:
“A lot of the bells and whistles that are present on an S and X are not present on a Model 3. We don’t have self-presenting door handles for example or Falcon Wing doors. These reduce the risk substantially in the ramp and make it just easier to scale. So I think it is going to be a very compelling car, but it’s a simpler design and we also understand manufacturing a lot better than we did in the past.”

When Tesla first unveiled the Model 3, one prototype was equipped with Tesla’s usual self-presenting door handles, but another one had a new type of handles. It’s apparently the type that will be featured on the production version:

upload_2017-2-23_20-11-58.png

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk hints at possible heads-up display, releases details about screen, battery, and more
During the call, Musk also reiterated that Model 3 will not have some of the “bells and whistles” in Tesla’s previous vehicles:
“A lot of the bells and whistles that are present on an S and X are not present on a Model 3. We don’t have self-presenting door handles for example or Falcon Wing doors. These reduce the risk substantially in the ramp and make it just easier to scale. So I think it is going to be a very compelling car, but it’s a simpler design and we also understand manufacturing a lot better than we did in the past.”

When Tesla first unveiled the Model 3, one prototype was equipped with Tesla’s usual self-presenting door handles, but another one had a new type of handles. It’s apparently the type that will be featured on the production version:

View attachment 216138
That Electrek article was incorrect. The one Model 3 had the Model S shaped door handle, but it wasn't auto-presenting. It operated the same as the others.
giphy-1-gif.170041

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
That's what I'm saying... I often open my driver's side door with my right hand (this is passenger door being opened with left hand, so same thing). It would be nearly impossible with this handle. The only reason this guy is able to is because he's got his hand wrapped around the door edge.
I usually use my left for the driver's side, that's why most cars have the keyless unlock button for your left thumb and left hand. Of course you can also use an underhand grip. If you want to use your right hand on the driver's side.