Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No software update for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with Tesla again to find out why I’m only on 5.15. They checked the log files and determined that 5.15 was pushed out to me several weeks ago and it failed. Once it failed no further updates were attempted. Now that the system has logged a successful update I should hopefully get back to a normal update cycle. I’m not sure how long I would have gone had I not contacted them to request a push. But for those who say just be patient, I’m not convinced that is good advice. If you are four versions behind everyone else there is probably a problem with the connection that the folks on chat can easily fix, so why wait around if you don’t need to.

I spoke with Tesla again to find out why I’m only on 5.15. They checked the log files and determined that 5.15 was pushed out to me several weeks ago and it failed. Once it failed no further updates were attempted. Now that the system has logged a successful update I should hopefully get back to a normal update cycle. I’m not sure how long I would have gone had I not contacted them to request a push. But for those who say just be patient, I’m not convinced that is good advice. If you are four versions behind everyone else there is probably a problem with the connection that the folks on chat can easily fix, so why wait around if you don’t need to.
Tesla should add a "Check for Updates" function to the mobile App or the car display menu,
like many OS or Web browsers provides under Help or Settings menu selction.

I don’t understand Tesla’s logic on how they push out software updates. When Apple introduces a new version of iOS they allow anyone who wants it to request the update. We are talking about 50 million active phones. Why is Tesla so concerned about sprinkling the updates out a few at a time? Are they not testing the software enough to have confidence that it can be released to the entire fleet? We are only talking about a few hundred thousand vehicles.

I wasn't getting the latest updates so I scheduled a service appointment for a firmware update earlier this morning. A few hours later a Tesla rep called me and said he manually pushed out an update to me. Or in his words the it was "sideloaded" onto my car. The update is currently in progress. Not sure exactly which firmware version it is but I will report back once it's done.

This does stink. I'm also on 5.15. BUT on the new software 9.12? we'll have more ability to handle the software updates ourselves so must of these issues should be things of the past.

PS to the video guy. I tried exactly that a few days ago with no luck. I'm guessing it was a coincidence but never the less it was nice of you to try and help.

Best,
Gene

I bought M3P on April 1, received an update two weeks later. Version 2019.8.5. Then for month and a half no updates have been coming in. I knew that Tesla had released a new update in May but it was June 3 and still nothing was pushed to my car. Not even a notification that update was trying to be downloaded.

Then I visited Tesla service where they checked their logs and lo and behold, an update was tried to be pushed to my vehicle 4 times with an interval of few days until it ceased (I guess there is a limit to how many times it tries). Again, no notifications anywhere even though a tech told me I should have received it. Long story short, he reset my car by disconnecting 12V battery clamp under frunk and another one under right back passenger seat. He waited for 5 minutes and attached the clamps back. 20 minutes later an update came through both to my car and to my Tesla app. New update version is 2019.16.3

Hope this helps anyone.

Reactions: Watts_Up