TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

No Tesla destination charging in Europe yet?!?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ggnykk, Mar 20, 2016.

1. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

I remember that Tesla decided to expand destination charging into Europe about a year ago, and I am shocked to find out that NONE of them exist even today. Given the extensive network of Tesla's destination charging in US and Asia, as well as the environmental culture in Europe, it is very surprising that Tesla destination charging program haven't even started yet in Europe. What's going on?

Official Tesla destination charging map:
    Find Us | Tesla Motors,

2. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Oops, probably need to move my thread to "Charging Standard and Infrastructure" section.

3. smike

smike Member

There are reports from hotels and shopping malls in Germany and Austria. ETA for delivery of more than the one initial charger was given by Tesla as 'in the next coming weeks'. Looks like this is finally taking off.

4. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I suspect that there are Mennekes Type 2 outlets in tons of places in Europe that you could use for 7 kW charging. (or better if they are 3-phase -- and even better than that with dual onboard chargers)

5. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Probably because:
    1. It's easy to find relatively high speed charging in Europe vs North America where the usual electric socket provides ~3 mph charge, IF it's warm enough, otherwise maybe no charge.
    2. The supercharger density in Europe appears to be approaching ludicrous. The US is a big place and much of it still is not in range of a supercharger. Lots of gaps aren't even planned to be filled.