Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no traffic re-routing-- would premium connectivity make a difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I got stuck in a trivially avoidable hour and a half accident-related traffic jam on the Mass Pike. The car knew about the delay (as soon as I saw brake lights ahead I also saw that it was showing 2-1/2 hours fo do the remaining 40 miles of my trip), but it hadn't suggested I get off at the exit that I'd just missed by a couple hundred yards. A frustrating reminder to run Google maps or Waze in parallel with the car system, I guess.
I know that premium connectivity would have shown me the backup with colored lines on the map, but would it also have put me on a more efficient route? Or does the car system never change the route once it's set?

Reactions: StayGreen
I'm just not sure how premium would work in your case. I have a single data-point to add. On a trip from AZ to Cape Cod (MY LR AWD) this past summer we were somewhere in the middle of the country, had stopped at a SC site, and then the Tesla screen had us take a side road back to the next interstate entrance. At first I wondered what was up with that but, as we moved along this little used road we could see the interstate was at a standstill!! Saved us lots of time taking this back road route.

Was it the premium service that did this? No idea. Just sharing what happened to me.

I do have the premium connectivity and Full Self driving.
I do not trust the traffic avoidance in the Tesla navigation. Most of the time, I know where I am going but I do not know the real-time traffic ahead. There is currently a lot of highway construction around Atlanta. Everyday I used Waze, I think it is the best. I only use the Tesla navigation for long distance travel (to plan the stops at Superchager locations). When I have both running in parallel, I mostly ignore the Tesla navigation.

With the construction on I285 in Atlanta, the new I75 to I16 exchange in Macon and the new I16 to I95 exchange in Savanah, the highway exits on the Tesla map are out of date by more than 6 months. Waze and Google map will get updated within days.

Reactions: Mr_Joe
I use Google maps on parallel on my phone as well. Tesla nav doesn't show you the route options as you go. I've found better routes with Google maps several times over Tesla's recommended route. Tesla can't be trusted. My kingdom for Android Auto!

Reactions: cenwesi
I use Google maps on parallel on my phone as well. Tesla nav doesn't show you the route options as you go. I've found better routes with Google maps several times over Tesla's recommended route. Tesla can't be trusted. My kingdom for Android Auto!
I see GM plans to drop both Android Auto and Car Play, will use a version of Google automotive a la Volvo and Polestar.

Reactions: Noflash