Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No VINs in October?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are these rebates substantial? Why is Tesla making the decision to withhold delivery? Can’y you buy, take delivery, and deal with rebates later?

Are you talking about the Federal / State tax rebates? In my case (Colorado), starting Jan 1st 2020, not only does the Federal go away ($1875), but the state drops by $1000 (from $5k to $4k). So I'm really hoping I can take delivery by or before 12/31.

Well, if it is of any comfort - there are lemon laws to keep companies from doing what you are worried about. Tesla and Elon Musk cannot avoid this. Being without a car for a problem for 30(non consecutive) days is one trigger in many states. Tesla loses a fortune if they have to buy cars back. Given how they cannot get their selling act together, I expect that Tesla does not do well in state arbitration cases.

Granted, its no fun. No one wants to go through that. But it is incentive for Tesla to get their act together.

Lemon laws only offer a limited amount of protection. For example, I bought my car in Virginia because South Carolina has no dealers and no service centers. The Virginia law requires you to be a VA resident, bought the car in VA and had it serviced in VA. So I would not qualify. I no longer live in SC so I may not have any lemon law protection at all. Once I settle next month in PA I am going to get serious with the repairs on the car and holding people's feet to the flames.

I am sorry, but Model Y might have the same drivetrain but it has an option for 7 seats as well, so it is a big big + in my view.
When I ordered my car, they told me 4 weeks, so I sold my Tucson happily good price thinking i will rent it if it goes..only if it goes 6 weeks...
Now my rep just mentioned that I have to wait till they get rebate approval from the Canadian Government for 2020 model? are you guys kidding me? i really thought they figured this out already by now.

It's true.. just checked federal (iZEV) and provincial (CEVforBC) sites and the 2020 model year isn't listed yet. This applies to SR/SR+ orders (only model that qualifies). I assume this isn't going to affect production but will certainly affect deliveries. Whether Tesla will hold the cars in their lot at Fremont (pre-shipping) or local delivery centers will have to hold them... remains to be seen. Either way, Canadians won't be getting their cars before both governments update their rebate programs. Unless, I suppose, some owners don't want the rebate...

I am sorry, but Model Y might have the same drivetrain but it has an option for 7 seats as well, so it is a big big + in my view.
When I ordered my car, they told me 4 weeks, so I sold my Tucson happily good price thinking i will rent it if it goes..only if it goes 6 weeks...
Now my rep just mentioned that I have to wait till they get rebate approval from the Canadian Government for 2020 model? are you guys kidding me? i really thought they figured this out already by now.

You're talking about your order of a Model 3 or Model Y? The model Y is a bit roomier than the Model 3 in the rear, but it is definitely not a Model X.

All I'm really trying to say is that Tesla should fully roll out the Model 3 before it adds yet another model (Model Y) to the fold. It will be a long while before Tesla can make enough Model 3's to keep up with demand. I just think they should finish what they started.

I'm surprised too that Tesla cannot get it's act together with the Canadian government for the Model 3. Regardless, they should not stop fulfilling Canadian orders because of it. They should ask you if you want to wait.

It's true.. just checked federal (iZEV) and provincial (CEVforBC) sites and the 2020 model year isn't listed yet. This applies to SR/SR+ orders (only model that qualifies). I assume this isn't going to affect production but will certainly affect deliveries. Whether Tesla will hold the cars in their lot at Fremont (pre-shipping) or local delivery centers will have to hold them... remains to be seen. Either way, Canadians won't be getting their cars before both governments update their rebate programs. Unless, I suppose, some owners don't want the rebate...
interesting, what website was this?

At last, curious to see how long it takes to approve that rebate

I highly doubt that Tesla can hold that many cars in a lot. Fremont is likely limited by space more than anything else. How many thousand cars? If they don't think they will deliver, I can't imagine what they will do. Can't you just tell them to deliver and work it out later?

Yes I know. That’s why I said “ publicly”

Same as Model 3, when Tesla is ready, they will have a splashy dog and pony show where we can touch and feel the Model Y, complete with test drives for the media.

Until then, no mass production, so it won’t impact Model 3 sales year.

Yes I know. That’s why I said “ publicly”

Same as Model 3, when Tesla is ready, they will have a splashy dog and pony show where we can touch and feel the Model Y, complete with test drives for the media.

Until then, no mass production, so it won’t impact Model 3 sales year.
There's a lot of red tape to get a car all set to be approved and produce. When Tesla announced that Model Y would come of at end of Q1 2020, I was surprised. Of course Tesla has to build a bunch of Model Y's for testing, etc. And down in the South Bay, it's hard not to be seen.

I just think there is a lot of room for more Model 3 sales to go. It seems pointless to add another car to the lineup and just make everyone wait longer. Waiting is Tesla's problem. They've run through the people who would wait years and several months - and not it is/was different. When people really know they can have a car in a week or two, then Tesla sales will skyrocket. People don't like to wait and wait and wait for cars. It's not the way it's ever been. Even Tesla got caught up in the US, but people didn't know because they don't advertise. I was surprised when it was "2-3 weeks" to get a factory configured Tesla Model 3.

If you had any sense at all you would run away from this car. Run hard! I am truly sorry I bought my car. No, it's more like I'm truly sorry I had to buy this car from the Tesla company. It sucks.

What happened to you? You sound like you've had a really bad experience?

Always makes me wonder...you think its anyone's job at Tesla to read forums and rants like this? You think anyone who matters actually takes these experiences and opinions into consideration? Steve Jobs was was often recalled as being quite involved in consumer relations...and not always positive and apologetic!!

There have been several sightings of Model Y's driving near Fremont. There's 2-3 videos out there off the top of my head.

Tesla Model Y spotted by Model 3 owner in real world traffic conditions

Yes. If you zip down your fly in the SOuth Bay it will end up on You T
Always makes me wonder...you think its anyone's job at Tesla to read forums and rants like this? You think anyone who matters actually takes these experiences and opinions into consideration? Steve Jobs was was often recalled as being quite involved in consumer relations...and not always positive and apologetic!!

No, but Jobs was involved. He cared, though he was a bit biased (and not very personable) himself. Musk is not like Jobs. Jobs was a visionary, but finally realized that he wasn't the type to run the nuts and bolts of the company. Actually, the company forced him to take a back seat to operations when he came back. Musk wants to do everything. It simply isn't possible - especially given he has another very big company. I don't care how smart he is - he is only one person.

I just closed out of this site to find an email from a Tesla "Marketing Lead" asking if I needed anything. Never heard from this guy before.
I replied asking if I would get a VIN before the end of the year and to answer some of the lingering questions posted here: if North American production is just NOW beginning again, how cars are produced (by spec?) and if they really can satisfy delivery in time for the rebate for all current orders. I will post if he replies.

That said, I am really trying to be patient and remember that Tesla makes EVERY car to order, as if a special order, as they have no dealers to hold the “extra”. It’s not like they can just make 15,000 of each, as most car manufacturers do.
My current car (2016 Mercedez CLA250) wasn't the exact car I wanted (white/white), so I bought something off the lot (at a discount) rather than wait the several WEEKS (1-3 months!) they quoted for a "special order". In that regard, Tesla is no different, but maybe better.
Without dealers hoarding cars on lots, Tesla makes each one to spec. Those who have received VINS are most likely receiving inventory cars or cancelled orders, etc. Those of us without VINs may comfort ourselves that we will possibly be receiving new production vehicles (to be confirmed?) with fewer imperfections/issues. At least that’s what I tell myself.

Last edited:

I can tell you with absolute certainty that Tesla Energy DOES monitor the Facebook groups. I've seen numerous complaints about service or issues with this and that. A few days later, they report that a manager reached out and got things moving and fixed.

I never saw the same results in TE's forum on this website, so maybe it's only FB groups.

I got a teaser email from my delivery center. Saw the email pop up on my phone from the delivery center and it was just an invite to come in and see a presentation on how to utilize all the features on the vehicle. So, I can’t say they have left me in the dark but dang I thought it was my vin hahah

I just closed out of this site to find an email from a Tesla "Marketing Lead" asking if I needed anything. Never heard from this guy before.
I replied asking if I would get a VIN before the end of the year and to answer some of the lingering questions posted here: if North American production is just NOW beginning again, how cars are produced (by spec?) and if they really can satisfy delivery in time for the rebate for all current orders. I will post if he replies.

That said, I am really trying to be patient and remember that Tesla makes EVERY car to order, as if a special order, as they have no dealers to hold the “extra”. It’s not like they can just make 15,000 of each, as most car manufacturers do.
My current car (2016 Mercedez CLA250) wasn't the exact car I wanted (white/white), so I bought something off the lot (at a discount) rather than wait the several WEEKS (1-3 months!) they quoted for a "special order". In that regard, Tesla is no different, but maybe better.
Without dealers hoarding cars on lots, Tesla makes each one to spec. Those who have received VINS are most likely receiving inventory cars or cancelled orders, etc. Those of us without VINs may comfort ourselves that we will possibly be receiving new production vehicles (to be confirmed?) with fewer imperfections/issues. At least that’s what I tell myself.

I also received an e-mail from someone in marketing asking if they could help answer any questions or assist me in placing an order to take delivery before December 31. I asked for him to call me, which he did. I told him I had already placed an order and asked if there was an issue. He said it was just a marketing push but knew nothing about my order, nor did he have the ability to check on to the status of the order.

I agree. But the point at which they must care is quickly approaching. The Porsche hits the US in the spring. Low end - at $104K is not cheap, but probably worth it. You definitely wont have to check for defects (and have them corrected).

Tesla reeks of serious ego - and everyone knows where that comes from. I’ve seen companies bite the dust over less. Tesla is heavily leveraged - and with dozens of competitors aimed at it by 2021. That’s not a good position to kick away customer loyalty. You want to be able to sell multiple Teslas to people over the years. You don’t want it to be the first EV someone buys and they go to Audi after that.

And no, China is not going to “save” them. There is competition there, and the Chinese market is limited and softening.

Tesla has a good car and execution in the Model 3. We are all putting up with major crap to buy it. If there was one viable alternative out there, Tesla would lose its market share. Thats not good for a “new” company to be doing.

So I guess we wait in the dark. I’ll give it to X-mas —- and give up (I ordered 10/11). I may have strong reasons to want a Model 3 now, but I have my limitations. We all do.

Hopefully it will get better for ALL of us!

Exactly - waiting is all we have right now. But it will be worth it, I feel.
While competition will certainly be there (some at almost three times the price!), there is no mention of potential software upgrades that come with owning a Tesla - not to mention self-driving capability! I'm pretty sure that whatever Porsche/BMW/Ford EV that rolls off the lot with, it will remain the same car throughout its lifetime. That (fun, quirky) Elonnian innovation plus Tesla's dedicated supercharger network makes every other EV sub-par to me.

I also received an e-mail from someone in marketing asking if they could help answer any questions or assist me in placing an order to take delivery before December 31. I asked for him to call me, which he did. I told him I had already placed an order and asked if there was an issue. He said it was just a marketing push but knew nothing about my order, nor did he have the ability to check on to the status of the order.

That's weird. Did he just "cold email" you out of the blue? You must surely be on some list...
Mine wasn't offering EOY delivery, however. He just said "touching base to see if there is anything I can help with?".
I looked again and my guy's title is actually "Sales Advisor / Lead Marketer" and based in my city, so if he's doesn't realize my name is already in the database, I've got a problem.